Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D7800

Kristina90265
Aspirant

D7800

I have WiFi but no internet - please help. My internet provider has tested the line and nothing is wrong from that end. How do I update my firmware of my router when I cannot get internet?
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: D7800

what firmware version are you on? 

Who's your ISP?

Are you using dsl or connecting it to a modem? 

And if to a modem, which one? 

Message 2 of 5

@Kristina90265 wrote:
How do I update my firmware of my router when I cannot get internet?

You have enough Internet to get to this place, so you can use the recommended approach with a manual update.

Start by downloading the firmware to whatever you are using to post messages here.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will have any software, firmware and drivers for your device.

Download the latest firmware.

Then move it over to a PC. Unzip the file to get your shiny new firmware.

Then follow these instructions:

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As to the rest of he proble, start by answering the questions from @plemans.

Message 3 of 5
Kristina90265
Aspirant

Firmware is V1.0.0.38. I have tried to download the latest .imp file I get a message saying “file is incorrect”. I follewed the instructions and saved to my computer and extracted. I have gone through the last 7 firmware releases and none will upload.

ISP - Spark (Nz)
DSL? I’m unsure. The modem is connected to the telephone jack.
The modem is my Nighthawk AC2600 wifi Val/adsl modem router model: D7809
Message 4 of 5

@Kristina90265 wrote:
Firmware is V1.0.0.38. I have tried to download the latest .imp file I get a message saying “file is incorrect”. I follewed the instructions and saved to my computer and extracted. I have gone through the last 7 firmware releases and none will upload.

Not sure what the "imp" file is. But you seem to be on the right track.

That is the original firmware for the D7800. It dates back to 2016. There have been near on 20 updates since then.

There are times when firmware updates are so drastic that you need to be on an intermediate release before you can go to the latest version.

It isn't easy to know which is they key version that will let you jump to the newest.

You don't want to work your way through the whole list, but somewhere half way between your version and the latest is a good start.

If that works, then try the latest. If it still doesn't work, pick another one half way between the one that worked and the latest.

If the first attempt failed, again, pick something halfway between your version and that.

Keep going until it works.

A quick look at the Release Notes might be a bit of a guide, For example, I found this for D7800 Firmware Version 1.0.1.42

D7800 Firmware Version 1.0.1.42 - NETGEAR Support

Bug Fixes

• Support Router Analytics function
  • Support Auto FW upgrade support
  • NTP Setting Page – support manual server input
  • New OpenVPN implementation for MD5 upgrade

Reference to the upgrade process might be a clue. Most of the others are simple security updates.

ISP - Spark (Nz)
DSL? I’m unsure. The modem is connected to the telephone jack.
The modem is my Nighthawk AC2600 wifi Val/adsl modem router model: D7809

Sounds like DSL. I assume that D7809 is a finger slip and not one of those odd modem numbers that Netgear made for ISPs.

I'm not convinced that the firmware is what cases your dead wifi. What do the wifi LEDs look like? Have you checked that the wifi on/off button didn't get pressed? Second from the right on the front.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7