Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGND3700 as AP

eliosfederico
Aspirant

DGND3700 as AP

Hi,
Not using ADSL from long time now, I have this router on a shelf. I would like to give it a "new" life by using it for extending my WIFI network. I have a wifi cable router downstairs and upstairs the wifi signal it's too low to be detected. I have a 200MB internet connection so Gigabit it's a must. I tried to configure my DGND3700 following a guide from netgear, it "works" but I have to select manually a static IP for each device (iPhone, computer...) to let it connect. They don't get automatically an IP address. What can I do for solve this? Shame that the router doesn't have an AP mode 😞

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: DGND3700 as AP

your main router should handle DHCP
Message 2 of 10
eliosfederico
Aspirant

Yeah but why it doesn't?
Message 3 of 10

You've turned off DHCP on the DGND3700?

Does it make a difference if you fix its IP address?

There was a long and detailed account of using an old router as an extender. It involved various steps that went beyond what I would have expected.

Can't remember the links but I did find these

Different models and circumstances but maybe some clues: Using an FVM318 Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point

and

Using WPN824, WGR614, or WGT624 Routers as an Access Point

The point that struck me was

DHCP configuration may not work reliably because the wireless router/access point may not correctly relay DHCP information from the router. Workaround: Use static IPs on the wireless PCs.

Also this one:

How do I set up a wireless router as an access point on a network that has another router serving as...

and

Configuring a router (WNDR3800) as a wireless repeater

Maybe someone can remember the other stuff.
Message 4 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

There isn't really specifically said on method of network setup

Two devices connected with ethernet cables or achieving two devices wireless to extend.

In either situation 2nd unit's DHCP should be disable if there is existing DHCP such as main router that is been used
Message 5 of 10
eliosfederico
Aspirant

As I said on my first post, DHCP was disabled.
Message 6 of 10
eliosfederico
Aspirant

michaelkenward, The AP had a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range. As I said if I assign manually an IP to a device it works but that's not what I want.
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Regardless of meteor method (AP or repeating ) it should pass the dhcp from the main router

There is thread on DGNxxx model used as ap or repeat that so not pass dhcp
Message 8 of 10
eliosfederico
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Regardless of meteor method (AP or repeating ) it should pass the dhcp from the main router

There is thread on DGNxxx model used as ap or repeat that so not pass dhcp

How can this be solved?
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Best bet is to contact support . This some firmware related issues
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos