Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DVG1000 firmware update?

Rudelee
Aspirant

DVG1000 firmware update?

Hi all, l have a DVG1000 and want to update the Firmware but after looking all over the Netgear site l can not find it. :confused: l keep getting phantom calls from "sipvicious at all times of day & night. :mad: So l need to stop them. If anybody could help me it would be fantastic before l throw this out the window....
Message 1 of 15
covillen1
Apprentice

Re: DVG1000 firmware update?

Hey Rudelee,

I found a section on the Net Gear website that might have the firmware scroll down the page and look for your router type

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/gpl-open-source-code-for-programmers

Also if its not there then check out this website. But please read around first and check it out before downloading because I'm not to sure about this website.

http://www.dodo.com/top-right-navigation/support/technical-support/adsl-adsl-2plus/faq-troubleshooti...
Message 2 of 15
naevtamarkus
Tutor

Hi,

I have a DVG1000, but mine has been locked by the service provider (M-Budget) and I can't save configuration nor upload firmware via the webpage. Reset didn't work, because the lock is in the firmware itself (.06). I have a "good" firmware (version .05) in my hands, but I can't find a way to upload it to the router.

Do you know if there is any other way to upgrade/downgrade firmware, like for example, via USB?
I tried TFTP but the router does not seem to bring a TFTP server up during boot/reset.

Thanks!
Message 3 of 15
covillen1
Apprentice

naevtamarkus wrote:
Hi,

I have a DVG1000, but mine has been locked by the service provider (M-Budget)

Locked? meaning you can't log into your router using 192.168.1.1? Or the option to download a different firmware is not available?

naevtamarkus wrote:

and I can't save configuration nor upload firmware via the webpage. Reset didn't work, because the lock is in the firmware itself (.06)

Rest didn't work? meaning your pressed in the red or white reset button with a small pin like object?

When you do a factory reset it changes all the settings of the router back to factory default settings but I don't think this applies to the firmware. What ever firmware is currently installed will stay in place until another firmware is downloaded. you may need to contact the ISP for the router/Modem to get a different firmware or the ability to download a different firmware.
Message 4 of 15
Rudelee
Aspirant

You would think that NetGear would have their own firmware updates as they are the ones that have their name on the modem. l went out and got another Fritzbox as they at least support their own stuff . :mad:
Message 5 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Netgear often have contracts with ISPs to provide hardware with ISP specific firmware installed (as do many other manufacturers). The ISPs will typically control the firmware and may lock it down so that the end user may have no access to the configuration, or have no ability to change the firmware. So even though it’s a Netgear branded device, you really need to contact the ISP if there are issues you need resolving, it may well be the case that Netgear are contracted specifically to not get involved in support issues with ISP specific firmware. I have no involvement with Netgear contractual arrangements of course, so can’t be totally sure, that’s just what I have been told in the past.
Message 6 of 15
naevtamarkus
Tutor

Locked means I log in to the router with the admin credentials, I see all the configuration menu, information and so on... but the "apply" button is always gray and can't be used. It looks like the admin user has restricted permissions.

And reset is reset. Tried 5 seconds (see the lights flashing), tried 30 s, tried 120s, tried 3 contiguous resets... no way. The "defect" is in the firmware itself. I tried with the company (M-Budget, which is a Migros filiate) and they won't unlock it because "they only lease the router".

I already have the right firmware in my hands (downloaded from Dodo), the problem is how to flash it!

What I need is a method to flash a firmware without "admin" permissions, and I thought maybe USB could do. Any ideas on how to do this? Or maybe hacking the router one way or another! But I googled my time away and did not really get results.

Thanks!
Message 7 of 15
covillen1
Apprentice

naevtamarkus,

Ok I understand now. I just needed to be clear as to what you were seeing on your side. Ok so your going to have to treat this like a firmware corruption case. I think this is the only way to unlock your router. Here is a link below. Let me know if this worked for you

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841/~/reinstall-the-firmware-on-a-router-without-the...
Message 8 of 15
naevtamarkus
Tutor

Dear Covillen et al,

I am afraid it did not work...

I tried the tftp2 tool, with a single cable attached from the PC to the router, an static IP and the default password (admin says the router). Trying against 192.168.0.1 times out all the time, but 192.168.0.254 (which is the IP that the firmware is programmed to use) times out *most* of the times (10 tries), and some times it jumps to the next try quicker. But no success.

I am wondering... this TFTP method, in order to be effective against firmware corruption, must be some sort of BIOS the router has, right? So why does it have the same IP the router usually has? And why the same password? I mean, it must be designed to have some specific settings (that's why I tried 0.1... but I always got timeouts), not those from the firmware.

Anyway, no luck. Is there some sort of firmware recovery guide specific for dvg1000? Somewhere I saw a recovery CD, but I was not able to find the CD anywhere, and Netgear has retired this model from the support matrix.

Thanks a lot!
Message 9 of 15
covillen1
Apprentice

naevtamarkus

That didn't work!!!!??? Wow ok looks like you might be stuck. There could a number of ways they are locking it from third part software to actual code and script writing. And if its actual code ( like programming code ) then there is nothing you can do. And truthfully the ISP will only push down firmware to its clients if there is some kind of major bug detected or wide spread problem that needs to be fix. Beside that you stuck on the firmware they want you to have. The only option you have now is to get your own router and modem so that you have control over what firmware you want.
Message 10 of 15
naevtamarkus
Tutor

Wonderful!

I guess the only thing left to try is to apply 220V randomly on different parts of the internal components to see if that works.

Thanks a lot for trying!
Message 11 of 15
swfred
Novice

With the DVG1000 from M-Budget, I used following procedure:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22688/~/how-to-upload-firmware-to-a-wndr3700v2-router-... (including default IP address 192.168.1.1 and default password "password").
I got rid of the custom firmware, but problem is that I used a *.img firmware for the recovery. I was pretty sure it would not work, but I couldn't find a *.chk firmware for the DVG1000. The router does not boot properly now (for ever green blinking power led).
I guess that if we would have such a firmware available our problems would be solved (repeating the procedure again). If in a few days it reveals that such a firmware isn't available online, I'll try my chance with one for a similar router...
Message 12 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Swfred, do you have a copy of the ISP firmware? If not they may provide it to you so that you can at least get things working again.

Because your router includes a DSL modem, there is always a risk that using anything other than the ISP provided firmware could cause compatibility issues with the ISP network.
Message 13 of 15
kaygee46
Initiate

Rudelee wrote:
Hi all, l have a DVG1000 and want to update the Firmware but after looking all over the Netgear site l can not find it. :.

I've only recently joined the Netgear family and when I log in to the router (www.routerlogin.net) there's a message at the top of the page that says "A new firmware version is available. Click here to get it". So far I've resisted "clicking here" because everything is humming along nicely and I'm a firm believer in "If it aint broke, don't fix it!"
Message 14 of 15
Ponz
Aspirant

Betreff: DVG1000 firmware update?

naevtamarkus and swfred, have a look at these pages:

http://zurbruegg.blogspot.ch/2011/11/m-budget-dsl.html

http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/showthread.php?t=259916

They don't help with installing a proper Netgear firmware, but at least you can login and change/save the options in your router.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7