Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do I tell which router ports are open?

meta
Novice

How do I tell which router ports are open?

I'm new to routers so please bear with me.

I have a Netgear 3700v3 router. I recently switched to a Chromebox with an epson xp-610 printer. My printer needs to have ports 5222, 80 and 443 open.

When I access my router I can't find these ports. How do I find them and how do I know if they're on or not?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I'm not all that technical so please don't assume I know anything, which is close to the truth. 😉

Message 1 of 3
fordem
Mentor

Re: How do I tell which router ports are open?

If I assume that your "Chromebox" and your printer are both connected to the LAN side of your router, then the router and it's ports are not a part of the issue. What the router does for you is connect your LAN (local area network) to the internet, and allow the single internet address to be shared by all your devices - the router will, by default, block all traffic coming from the internet (unless it's a reply to a request from your "Chromebook" and does not control the traffic between devices on the LAN.
Message 2 of 3
meta
Novice

Re: How do I tell which router ports are open?

Thank you for this. I'm not sure how to tell if my devices are connected to LAN but I assume so because my Chromebox and android tablet work. I seemed to have stumbled on a solution and so far, as of today, it's working. The USB storage HTTP (via Internet) on port 80 had not been enabled. It is now and the printer seems to work.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series