Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How do you set up Nighthawk D7000 as a wireless repeater/range extender?

Juniornitro2444
Follower

How do you set up Nighthawk D7000 as a wireless repeater/range extender?

Having trouble finding straight forward instructions of how I can setup and use my D7000 as a repeater/range extender, due to internet provider sending new modem for NBN with my data preloaded for instant connection. Can anyone help me or send a link or photo of the steps involved?

Cheers in advance
Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: How do you set up Nighthawk D7000 as a wireless repeater/range extender?

This is my personal advice, but don't bother. Netgear routers have little to no support to function as a wireless repeater/range extender. You can use the D7000 as an Access Point but that requires a wired connection. Ethernet may be impractical but coax is another alternative.
There's also Powerline but I personally think they are more trouble than they are worth; others do swear by them. If a wired solution is not an option, then get a real range extender as a last resort.
Message 2 of 3

Re: How do you set up Nighthawk D7000 as a wireless repeater/range extender?

@TheEther wrote:
There's also Powerline but I personally think they are more trouble than they are worth; others do swear by them.

I don't like swearing in public, but I am a powerline believer.

The technology has come a long way in recent years. (It had to, to stay alive.)  It now even offers GB LAN.

The advantage is that it gets rid of wifi, always a difficult technology, best used for kit that you move around. If you have something that doesn't move, powerline is a viable option.

You could even use powerline to turn the D7000 into an access point.

By the way, I would not rule out the simplest option. The D7000 has an Internet  socket on the back. Connect that to the modem from your ISP and you have an access point.

Also check to see if your flavour of NBN will let you use the D7000 rather than the modem they supplied:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7