Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ip Address Problem with Nighthawk D7000

LloydJ
Aspirant

Ip Address Problem with Nighthawk D7000

Hi,

I purchased the D7000 (I am in the UK and it might be the R7000 in the US?) a week or so ago and am having a lot of problems that I am looking to see if it is the setup or the router itself.

The main issue is that the router is not automatically assigning ip addresses to my connected devices. I thought I solved the problem by assigning and saving them manually through the LAN setup section of the router page but I am still getting dropped connections and issues with saved devices taking ages to connect or not connecting at all.

Also, if I try to attach a new device to the network it seems to affect all the previous devices and turns their ip addresses off unless I reboot which is annoying. 

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I have a few weeks left whereby I can return the device if it is indeed that which is faulty. 

I have been told that the issue could be with the fact that most of my devices are apple products and they do not seem to like netgear routers?

Regards,

Lloyd

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Ip Address Problem with Nighthawk D7000

Sounds like DHCP is shut off. Advanced -> Setup -> LAN Setup. Make sure that Use Router as DHCP Server is checked and that the starting and ending IP address range is sufficient for all your devices.

Message 2 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yep, it's checked. Start ip is 198.162.0.2 and ends on .254. RIP direction is set to both and version to RIP -1. Each connected divide has an address reservation but they still drop on occasion only for them to reappear randomly or not at all.

Message 3 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Did you really mean 192.168.0.2 ?

Message 4 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

I know this is a nit, but I do an address range for DHCP like from 192.168.0.64 - 128. Then I do reserved addresses starting at 192.168.0.2 - 63 so that my reserved addresses are outside the DHCP managed range of addresses.

DHCP and address reservation work fine on my D7000v2.

Message 5 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

Sorry, yes I meant 192... it was late! Anyway, I've set them the same as yours and will see how I go. Many thanks for your replies.

lloyd

Message 6 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

Hi, unfortunately this has not solved the problem. Despite having all my devices on the reservation list, the router is still randomly refusing to provide them ip addresses. So frustrating. 

Message 7 of 15
netwrks
Master

@LloydJ wrote:

Hi, unfortunately this has not solved the problem. Despite having all my devices on the reservation list, the router is still randomly refusing to provide them ip addresses. So frustrating. 

Have you reset the D7000 to factory default? As NG only has the "Initial Release" firmware listed, a fw upgrade, to a newer version isn't available. Or re-flash the router with the original firmware. Original fw can be found here.

Message 8 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

The OP needs to verify which D7000 they have. I have a D7000v2, but the OP may have the D7000 or even an R7000. A quick question to the OP, Is your device connected through an ISP provided modem? Does your D7000 have both a DSL (RJ11) jack and a red RJ45 ethernet port? If it has both the red RJ45 and the gray DSL RJ11 jack it is a D7000v1 and the firmware for that is here...

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000#download

Message 9 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

Hi both,

its a D7000 v1 and is running firmwear v 1.01.48_1.0.1 . It updated to that on the day of setup, are you suggesting I roll back? It is not connected to any other modem.

This morning I unchecked the box 'enable/disable 20/40 mhz co existence and that seems to have smoothed things out for the minute. Can I ask, in attached devices, at times it will show a device but without the IP address yet that device has internet connection? Is that normal?

Lloyd

Message 10 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Yes, I've seen in attached devices an occasional device that doesn't show an IP, but the device works fine. This does seem to eventually resolve itself with use of the device. I've not seen an issue having 20/40 coexistence checked. I do run assigned wifi channels rather than have it set to auto. I have a couple of older devices that seem to have issues with the router dynamically changing channels.

Message 11 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

I've got it set to 11, I tried 6 and 1 but 11 seems the most stable. Would interference from other networks be an issue?
Message 12 of 15
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Interference from other networks shouldn't be an issue with DHCP IP assignment. It may be an issue with wireless performance. You could use something like inSSIDer on a laptop or android phone to see what kind of wifi network interference you've got in your area. There is also the possibility of interference from things like microwave ovens and wireless type phones.

Message 13 of 15
samco
Tutor

My D7000 has also done that, I thought it was alone. When I initially started to configured that happened and I thought it was very strange because no matter how bad or slow the router I had, I always got an IP assigned.

I had to restart, it worked, then did it a couple times again afterwards but it's not doing it a lot now, so there's something about unpredictability here. I definetly attribute this to a firmware issue. We will have to wait and see.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 14 of 15
LloydJ
Aspirant

I had a replacement model sent and had the same issue again so it definitely is an issue with the router, I've asked for a refund. Very disappointed. 

I hope you manage to solve your problem. 

Lloyd 

@samco wrote:

My D7000 has also done that, I thought it was alone. When I initially started to configured that happened and I thought it was very strange because no matter how bad or slow the router I had, I always got an IP assigned.

I had to restart, it worked, then did it a couple times again afterwards but it's not doing it a lot now, so there's something about unpredictability here. I definetly attribute this to a firmware issue. We will have to wait and see.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7