Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 and plex HELP please

Rareairunc
Aspirant

N600 and plex HELP please

Hi i have an n600 and was hoping to plug my ext hdd with 100’s of movies and music into its front or rear usb port and be able to watch via plex on my firestick through to my projector. I am not cery knowledgeable about this sort of thing though and cannot work out what to do or if its even possible with the n600? Any help is super appreciated
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: N600 and plex HELP please

You're caught a little bit. A couple points. 

1. N600 is a speed not a model

2. most N600 routers weren't very powerful. They had a basic dlna server but it didn't have much capabilities because the CPU's in them were so anemic. So movies/shows encoded in the proper format for your device might work if they're not to high quality. But this isn't through plex, just a basic dlna server.

3. Plex still needs a server to run off. The router and external hard drive can't host the server, just the media. What are you hosting the plex server on? 

4. most N600 routers aren't that fast. If you're streaming movies of higher quality, its uncertain if the router can support the bandwidth to do so

Message 2 of 4
Rareairunc
Aspirant

Thankyou for the info and quick reply. I just worked out i have the dgnd3700v2. I thought my fried told me i could plug the ext hdd into this, download plex onto the firestick 4k and watch my movies this way? So i still need a pc or laptop to host???
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Thats a fairly low performing router. A couple generations out of date. 

But it does work. 

Not sure how well the dlna server works on it though. 

I'm not sure if plex can be played off a dlna server or if it requires a host server. I've always used a host server. 

You might be able to put a dlna reader on the fire stick and get it to work but you'll have to check to see what format the files need to be in 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7