Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear DGND3700 and Starlink?

DLGMAX
Tutor

Netgear DGND3700 and Starlink?

Just wondering if the WAN port on my Netgear DGND3700-NAS100 N600 DSL modem/router could be used with Starlink V2 (with its Ethernet adapter) .

I have been using the DGND3700 for years with ATT DSL since it was basically the only option in my rural location, but the ATT DSL has become very unreliable due to dwindling support, (appears they also want to abandon all 2-wire/copper communications by 2025). My son signed me up for Starlink for Christmas, which turned out to be a blessing because about a week later a storm came through and took all the power and tele lines to the ground. Power company restored the power but then we received about 7 inches of snow/ice/sleet, so the tele/DSL lines will probably be on the ground a bit.

So back to the DGND3700/Starlink setup. I already have everything in the house setup and linked to my DGND3700 and Nighthawk EAX80 extended network via wifi and Ethernet as needed.

I would like to setup the Starlink in bypass mode and just use it as the gateway to the internet, (keeping my existing wifi using the 3700 and a EAX80 extender intact), using the Starlink Ethernet adapter connected to the WAN jack on the DGND3700, but have not had any luck. Seems no matter how I set the 3700 WAN options, I still get a red LED and no internet access. I have tried pretty much everything except a factory reset and full re-setup of the 3700.

I realize the ADSL DGND3700 is pretty dated, but it still works great along with the EAX80, and both offer several Ethernet ports, something Starlink seems to think nobody wants anymore. 

Thanks in advance for any info/help/pointer which can be offered!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
DLGMAX
Tutor

Yea, this is mostly to just get me through the 30 day testing phase with the Starlink. I have some issues with obstructions I need to overcome before I completely commit to swapping everything over. I have already been exploring up to date router options which are supposed to work well with the Starlink setup. I do hope to ditch the old DSL stuff altogether in the near term and go with "something" else, hoping I can make the Starlink work, unless some miracle comes along and someone runs fiber into the area.

Thanks for the reply and pointers!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@DLGMAX wrote:

Just wondering if the WAN port on my Netgear DGND3700-NAS100 N600 DSL modem/router could be used with Starlink V2 (with its Ethernet adapter) .

That is an ancient (2011) ADSL modem router. Depending on what the Starlink device does, you can, indeed, use the WAN port and use the DGND3700 as a router.

The technology is ancient, with slow (100 Mbps) LAN ports and no 5 GHz wifi. That is fine for ADSL, which usually ran at around 8 Mbps, but if your Starlink service is anywhere near 100 Mbps, you might do better to ditch the DGND3700 and get a more capable router.

Starlink is one of those technologies that can need careful tweaking. Fortunately, there have been enough messages here to provide some background experience to draw on:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – starlink

Message 2 of 4
DLGMAX
Tutor

Yea, this is mostly to just get me through the 30 day testing phase with the Starlink. I have some issues with obstructions I need to overcome before I completely commit to swapping everything over. I have already been exploring up to date router options which are supposed to work well with the Starlink setup. I do hope to ditch the old DSL stuff altogether in the near term and go with "something" else, hoping I can make the Starlink work, unless some miracle comes along and someone runs fiber into the area.

Thanks for the reply and pointers!

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Take the time to ditch the DGND3700. its an ancient N600 device. 

The EAX80 you're using on it is using so little of its speeds if its connecting to that router. 

And the starlink routers are actually pretty solid. 

It wouldn't take that much time to set the starlink router with the same ssid as the DGND router so things just auto-switch over. And the EAX80 will even auto-switch too if you're using the same ssid. 

There's no way that router isn't bottlenecking your router network. 

The time to replace it is worth it

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7