Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

randomuser555
Aspirant

Re: Netgear giving up on the DGND3700, DGND3700v2 to be released instead.

I don't really know where do post this, but Netgear is thinking about changing their marketing name to On-Networks, and seems to be into the color white ;). I feel like I can share this now that the site is fully up, even though i've known about this for quite a while from when I was beta testing this. Check out http://on-networks.com 😉
Message 126 of 287
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Are you sure that isn’t just a spin-off, to be more attractive to home users, rather than a brand name change? Throwing away the Netgear brand name isn’t that easy.
Message 127 of 287
randomuser555
Aspirant

I just said that their looking for a marketing name change, not that it was going to be a brand name change. If you use a whois lookup, you can confirm Netgear Inc. owns the site.
Message 128 of 287
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

randomuser555 wrote:
1. I just said that their looking for a marketing name change, not that it was going to be a brand name change. 2. If you use a whois lookup, you can confirm Netgear Inc. owns the site.
1. What's the difference between a 'marketing name' and a 'brand name'? If you mean the new 'marketing name' to be a subdivision of Netgear, then that's what I mean by a spin off. 2. I know, I already did that as soon as I read your post, I wasn't doubting what you were saying, just questioning the scale of it.
Message 129 of 287
randomuser555
Aspirant

OK then I guess I misunderstood you. My apologies, hope I didn't come across as being rude or anything, because it's hard to know how people take things on the internet. You're probably right, they just used the term "new marketing name" during beta testing. So it probably would just be a spinoff or subdivision of Netgear.
Message 130 of 287
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

randomuser555 wrote:
... hope I didn't come across as being rude or anything...

Not at all.

We are both simply commenting / offering opinion, and your info sources are probably better than mine.
Message 131 of 287
Blake77
Novice

Blake77 wrote:
Like you I have had problems since last September, it took a long time to establish the fault as it was intermittent. Netgear have replaced the unit with a standard DGND3700 under RMA. The replacement unit also has an obscure but different problem - with WPA2-PSK security applied it will not run faster than 54Mbps in either ot band - it is fine with no security 144Mbps and 300Mbps. I have spent the best part of two days with online support requesting multiple re-configures and firmware reloads - all to no avail! Having read this thread it seems I bought a Pup which is disappointing as I was a long standing fan of Netgear products. I thought I would post this as a warning to others.

Latest Update

Spent an hour on the phone with Tech Rep last night, wanted remote access which also did not work - in the end she gave up and said she would get a level 2 engineer to contact me at 21:00hrs - I am still waiting!!! Also I have now found that the wireless signal is much weaker than my DGND3300 when it should be the reverse!
Message 132 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

With the beta 4 , yeah it decreased but non beta is like 2 bars improved on service. I'm still waiting for my phonr tech to respond to emails since I keep missing his calls.

More to come I'm sure.
Message 133 of 287
Blake77
Novice

Still no call back but I have had an email asking me to confirm my email address for another PMA, I have told them that I expect Netgear to pay carriage this time(I have already paid for the first PMA) and not to send me a replacement unless it has the upgraded firmware - their response was that my request would be passed to the relevant department but they could not give me a time scale for the replacement!! (I will have to make sure my ticket does not time out. Service is disappointing to say the least. Good job I did not sell my 3300 which is excellent.
Message 134 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

You made what I thought was a mistake twice but what is a "PMA". I was thinking since you did it twice that it was a new anagram I didn't know so please fill me in.

I'm still waiting for a call back and almost had a family member fall prey to a Microsoft tech spoof after reminding my household to expect a help call:eek:. Now I'm planning to post the Microsoft warning at home and work from their page.

*if you see unknown name and unknown number think the worst (Netgear does pop up on caller ID with their number)
Message 135 of 287
Blake77
Novice

Sorry - should have read RMA not PMA, thanks for pointing it out. I only give out a Mobile Number now, land line calls are screened by the answer phone if we do not know the number, sad but the only way to avoid the spoof calls and other unwanted sales calls.

I am going to request an update on my ticket today, Netgear have gone silent!
Message 136 of 287
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

theTechman05 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a call back and almost had a family member fall prey to a Microsoft tech spoof after reminding my household to expect a help call:eek:. Now I'm planning to post the Microsoft warning at home and work from their page.

That one can be very convincing to some people, I assume you are referring to the ‘We have detected a problem with your computer…’ spoof, getting the unwary to download some dodgy demo of a ‘fix-it’ type application that later has to be paid for?

I was getting a lot of those, and would argue with the person on the other end of the line, telling them that I know it’s a scam, but I got tired of that and now I just tell them that there are no computers in the house, seems to get them off the line quicker.
Message 137 of 287
luisito_ortiz
Aspirant

I've spent about a year going back and forth with tech support. I had one RMA last Summer which resulted in a better operating router (The first one was a lemon), but still the disconnection and no reconnection problems persisted. After a year, they are finally doing another RMA to replace v1 with v2. I'm hoping the new version fixes all the problems with the first one. Crossing my fingers.
Message 138 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

luisito_ortiz wrote:
I've spent about a year going back and forth with tech support. I had one RMA last Summer which resulted in a better operating router (The first one was a lemon), but still the disconnection and no reconnection problems persisted. After a year, they are finally doing another RMA to replace v1 with v2. I'm hoping the new version fixes all the problems with the first one. Crossing my fingers.

I hope I don't have to wait a year I've just been bumped to tier 3 so I have to wait on them for further opinions. They keep mentioning RMA if a solution isn't found but don't ask me or specify any further on it.

I do still keep asking myself how many tiers there are before they decide they want to see my router in-house.
Message 139 of 287
luisito_ortiz
Aspirant

Just got the DGND3700v2. Still have to get all the settings I had in the v1 set up in the v2, but I've got the basics set up. I love the new menus in the new version. Still have to see if the re-connection bugs I had in v1 are present in v2. Current firmware for v2 is V1.1.00.09_1.00.09. Here are some pics so you can see v1 and v2 side by side. The USB port and the ethernet got swapped. The same goes for the power button (Used to be a switch) and where the cable goes. The LAN port order got reversed, and the the place where the phone cable goes got moved up a bit.

Message 140 of 287
luisito_ortiz
Aspirant

Just got my DGND3700v2. Here are some side by side pics with v1. They moved stuff around and the menus are brand new and really nice.

Message 141 of 287
guym50
Aspirant

Not impressed 😞 only bought the v1 6 weeks ago... the least they could have done is to adapt the v2 firmware relaeses for v1...
Message 142 of 287
Scubbie
Apprentice

guym50 wrote:
Not impressed 😞 only bought the v1 6 weeks ago... the least they could have done is to adapt the v2 firmware relaeses for v1...

Hopefully Netgear has improved the memory management and amount of available memory too. This would mean that the two routers are different beasts.

With regards to the GUI, I quite like the new style now, but is can be fun looking for the options initially.
Message 143 of 287
k9frizb
Aspirant

How does one get a DGND3700v2? Has anyone ordered from the Netgear store and gotten one?
Message 144 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Is there any way you can tell what is a v2 model from the packaging/box?

I've asked Kikatek if they will replace my v1 with a v2 and they said this:

"Unfortunately, there's no way for us to determine the version unless the item is opened. All our products are sealed thus we are unable to check on this I'm afraid."
Message 145 of 287
Websurfer
Novice

Yes... the packaging is slightly different:

Message 146 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

@webserver

Thanks so much for that - will send your screenshot to kikatek and see if they can confirm what models they have in stock.
Message 147 of 287
theTechman05
Aspirant

keith_thfc wrote:

"Unfortunately, there's no way for us to determine the version unless the item is opened. All our products are sealed thus we are unable to check on this I'm afraid."

You could always check the model number on the box (100nas v2 200nas)

The v2 box looks a tad bigger, I wonder if it came with anything newer than the device(probably more ads and warnings).

At least you found it in a store, v1's never showed up in my local staples but it seemed there was enough interest the employees knew the device I was looking for.
Message 148 of 287
Baldrick
Novice

Looking at the price that Kikatek are selling for: £99 (down from ticket price of £219) I would suspect that it is NOT the v2 but rather the v1 that they are trying to clear the decks of. :rolleyes:

But I may be wrong!
Message 149 of 287
keith_thfc
Tutor

Baldrick wrote:
Looking at the price that Kikatek are selling for: £99 (down from ticket price of £219) I would suspect that it is NOT the v2 but rather the v1 that they are trying to clear the decks of. :rolleyes:

But I may be wrong!
You weren't wrong.

Kikatek confirmed that their stock is as per the v1 box photo. The price did seem a little too cheap to be true 🙂
Message 150 of 287
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7