Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear router printing problem

lynflecken
Follower

Netgear router printing problem

If my wireless printer is not used on a regular basis, I have to reboot my router before the printer will work. Previous to buying my Netgear router, I was using a router from Talk Talk which didn't give any problems when I asked the printer to print.

I believe this problem is quite common and could be something to do with the router changing its IP address every couple of days.

Whether this is the case or not, I have no idea what to do to fix this problem, so if someone has a fix, could they please explain it in easy to understand terms.

Message 1 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Netgear router printing problem

Hi @lynflecken,

Welcome to the community!

What's the exact model number of your NETGEAR device?

What's the model number of the printer you have? 

What are the operating system of the computers? 

Message 2 of 7
lynflecken1
Aspirant

Hi Elaine, many thanks for replying.
Computer is a Dell Inspiron 5050 running Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
Printer is a Canon MG 6150 wireless.
On the back of the Netgear router it says; N300 Wireless ADSL2
                                                                    DGN2200v4
Message 3 of 7
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How is the printer connected to the NETGEAR device? Through USB, ethernet cable, or wireless? 

If you're saying that the IP address of the printer keeps on changing, you may use address reservation feature on the router.

This feature will let the router provide a static IP address to your printer so it won't change its IP address. See the link below on how to use address reservation. 

How do I reserve a LAN IP address

Message 4 of 7
lynflecken1
Aspirant

Unfortunately I haven't been able to use these instructions yet, as for some unknown reason, the printer will not communicate with my laptop at all now.

This is quite coincidental, I didn't touch anything - HONEST, and once I figure out how to get communication restored, I'll implement the instructions.

Message 5 of 7
netwrks
Master

Set up your printer to connect via wifi using dhcp. Once your printer is connected RESERVE the ip address in use by the printer, on your router. You should always have the same ip address for the printer, after the ip reservation. Check your printer manual for connecting to a wifi network. Ensure 2.4ghz radio is enabled on your router. Router manuals can be found here .

Message 6 of 7
lynflecken1
Aspirant

Well many thanks for the suggestions, but in the end we didn't have to carry out any of them because my wife uninstalled the printer from the laptop, than reinstalled the Canon series number i.e.MG6100 rather than the specific printer,which is an MG6150.

The printer still wouldn't work after that, but on checking the printer properties on our other laptop, which is also linked to the same printer, I noticed that the CNBJN box was ticked. I then ticked the same box on this laptop, and hey presto, the laptop is talking to the printer again.

I've no idea how that all worked, but it did, so I thought I'd post it here in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7