Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk AC1900 Fiberoptic Connection Problems with Centurylink

ArnieS
Follower

Nighthawk AC1900 Fiberoptic Connection Problems with Centurylink

I replaced my C2100T modem that I purchased from Centurlink a couple of years ago because the powerlight wouldn't stay lit with a constant green light. So I bought a Nighthawk AC1900 at the recommendation of the Centurylink technician. He didn't say the model number so we chosse this model. Unfortunately, after configuring the router, we are still not able to authenticate the connection. We used Centurylink's user name and password, set the Vlan port to 201 and all other necessary settings that I was instructed to use in Netgears setup software. Seems that an earlier post indicated a fix that worked back in 2018 but it didn't work for me. 

My current status is that I am using a new Centurylink modem that they setup as a bridge between their Optical Network Termination (ONT) and my new Netgear router. This allows me to connect to the internet. This seems like a workaround and not the way I had invisioned connecting to the fiberoptic internet service. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what setting I might not be addressing in Netgears setup software? Or, is this the only way this Netgear product can connect to Centurylink's ONT? If so, I'll be returning this router to BestBuy shortly!

Thanks for your help.

Arnie

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: Nighthawk AC1900 Fiberoptic Connection Problems with Centurylink

@ArnieS wrote:

I replaced my C2100T modem that I purchased from Centurlink a couple of years ago because the powerlight wouldn't stay lit with a constant green light. So I bought a Nighthawk AC1900 at the recommendation of the Centurylink technician. He didn't say the model number so we chosse this model.

It sounds like you have replaced a modem/router with a router.

Is this what you replaced?

Using your Technicolor C2100T modem | CenturyLink

Unfortunately, AC1900 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

The R7000 is one of Netgear's AC1900 devices. Other stuff with that tag includes the C6900 and C7000 modem routers. Perhaps this is what the Centurylink tech had in  mind.

This bit is puzzling:

@ArnieS wrote:

My current status is that I am using a new Centurylink modem that they setup as a bridge between their Optical Network Termination (ONT) and my new Netgear router.

Why you need a modem between  and ONT and a router is baffling. But we don't know what sort of Internet you have. An ONT is often a connection to an optical service and with an Ethernet output. In that case, no modem needed.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7