Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Ac1900 D7000

apav
Tutor

Nighthawk Ac1900 D7000

Help Please I have a 

Nighthawk Ac1900 D7000 UK100 it has the latest firmware. connected to BT Fiber to the  cabinet. 

I daily find I can not access the internet. but when I log into the router it shows under basic and advanced that the connection is showing good, I leave the router alone and look again after 1/4 hour and check again still no internet connection to use but the router still shows that it is connected. I power off the router at the wall, wait 5 mins and turn it on and everything is working OK.

This has happened before when it was running under other version of firmware.

Should I just buy a new router or is this a common fault as several people are reporting the same issue. 

Message 1 of 18

Re: Nighthawk Ac1900 D7000

@apav wrote:

Nighthawk Ac1900 D7000 UK100 it has the latest firmware. connected to BT Fiber to the  cabinet. 

This is BT's VDSL? (The one that goes up to about 70 Mbps?)

Your D7000 is in modem/router mode? (It can also do modem only, router only or wireless access point.)

I daily find I can not access the internet. but when I log into the router it shows under basic and advanced that the connection is showing good,

What does the Internet LED look like? And the DSL LED?

This has happened before when it was running under other version of firmware.

Which firmware version do you have now? ("The latest" is too unreliable to be useful)

Should I just buy a new router or is this a common fault as several people are reporting the same issue. 

Good luck there. If your problem is with the modem bit of the D7000 then your choices are limited.

Unfortunately, without links it is impossible to comment on anonymous reports of "the same issue".

Experienced users prefer a separate modem followed by a router. That gives them much more choice over the router bit, which is where the real work happens.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most other brands, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem-only devices. According to one BT "engineer" I talked to, ISPs are leaning on them to provide combined modem/router devices.

If you can lay your hands on something like the DM200, that would be a good choice. The prices are getting silly. But you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

You can put most modem/routers other than those that come from the ISPs into modem-only mode. But in my experience that can cause problems, especially after power cuts.

Message 2 of 18
apav
Tutor

Thank You.

the router is in the latest version that is available on NETGEAR website  V1.0.1.84_1.0.1 which has been instead for a few months

All the LEDs look the same while it is showing connected but not usable as they look when they look when is says it is connected  and is work well. The Power ON internet steady flash DSL on steady  2.4 and 5 GHZ led appear to depend on what other devices are turned on.  One laptop connected to Ethernet port 3 which is red LED one PC connected to Ethernet port 4 which is white LED.

I have nothing connected to the either USB ports.

I have read the manual that comes with the router but find no mention why a Ethernet LED should be red or white.

Alan 

Message 3 of 18

@apav wrote:

I have read the manual that comes with the router but find no mention why a Ethernet LED should be red or white.

Speed.

See Table 2 in the manual.

"The LED color indicates the speed-  white for Gigabit Ethernet connections and amber for 100 Mbps or 10 Mbps Ethernet connections."

From the status of the LEDs, there's a possibility that the Internet is working just fine. It will take a bit more investigation to finger BT's service as the culprit. I have recently been through broadband hell with them. Fortunately, the on-line line tests are pretty good. They can detect line issues with reasonable accuracy.

We don't know much about what happens when the Internet dies.

You say "I daily find I can not access the internet."

That could cover many sins. Nothing an connect. You have one device that does not work.

The WiFi doesn't work? The Ethernet seizes up?

Can you access the browser graphical user interface (GUI) when the Internet dies?

Message 4 of 18
apav
Tutor

Thank You.

the only manual that comes with the router is a flimsy thing with no tables at all. and no mention of colours of Ethernet port.

When I say no internet. it is just that the router still works within the building, we can print to the wireless printer and transfer files between PC and laptop (which are both Ethernet connected, and the LEDs look the same, but if we select Edge (both Pc and laptops are on Windows 10) Edge can not find any internet sites. but using edge I can connect to the router using login and password I can also connect to the router using the neat gear apple app if I restart the router via either the app or the edge connection via the ip address the router will restart and everything works OK, or I can just power of the router at the mains wall socket switch and that will all bring everything back to life

Alan

Message 5 of 18
apav
Tutor

The internet part of the router was set up using the auto setup process.

Message 6 of 18

@apav wrote:

Thank You.

the only manual that comes with the router is a flimsy thing with no tables at all. and no mention of colours of Ethernet port.

It might be worth browsing the full manual, although the Ethernet colour code is a long standing, industry wide thing.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Have you ever reset the router and set it up from scratch? That's usually high on the list of things that tech support advises.

I avoid the automated setup process, and rarely go near mobile apps except when troubleshooting. This is partly because bitter experience tells me that the "wizard" doesn't always play nicely with BT's implementation of DSL. I've spent a month working with Netgear to debug the installation routine for one router.

... but if we select Edge (both Pc and laptops are on Windows 10) Edge can not find any internet sites. but using edge I can connect to the router using login and password I can also connect to the router using the neat gear apple app if I restart the router via either the app or the edge connection via the ip address the router will restart and everything works OK, or I can just power of the router at the mains wall socket switch and that will all bring everything back to life

Bit of a pile on of unpunctuated events there, but it does make me wonder if a different browser behaves in the same way.

Message 7 of 18
apav
Tutor

Thank You.

I have preformed the reset using the switch the router rebooted went of an looked for latest firmware V1.01.84-1.0.1 set the router login password. Logged in restored save set up and will wait and see how it goes thanks again

Alan

Message 8 of 18

@apav wrote:

Logged in restored save set up and will wait and see how it goes thanks again

I hope it works out, but a word of caution, it is not always a good idea to restore saved settings after a reset.

If you reset because you wanted to fix a problem, reloading saved settings can also restore the problem.

With luck it won't happen to you. But be warned.

Message 9 of 18
apav
Tutor

Thank You. 

I will keep it mind and at least if the worse happens and I have to do it all again I can tidy up the 30 odd items in the LAN setting where every device we have is allocated an IP address, also all the old items could be missed out rather than deleted and hopefully removed. but so far so good.

Thanks again

Alan

Message 10 of 18
apav
Tutor

Hi

I still had the same issue, so I reset the nighthawk and started all over again, but this time I entered all the settings by hand ( not as last time when I restored an old back up of the config.  version is still FW Version V1.0.1.84_1.0.1. I do not think the reset put the nighthawk back to the firmware as it was when purchased, as during set up there was a message saying could not find earlier version, so I assume once installed the firmware remains.

1) Is there anyway to check the firmware has not been corrupted.

2) How do I know if the Broadband line has dropped or not when I cannot connect any where on the web but the nighthawk says it is connected.

regards Alan

Message 11 of 18
apav
Tutor

The BT fiber to the cabinet is Fiber goes to the nearest BT cabinet in the street then uses the wire to go to the house.

This issue is still present, it appears the router will detect a drop in the Telephone line i.e if I disconnect the phone line from the socket but does not detect if BT disconnect the fiber connect to the wire going to the house.

I assume the detected line drop is detected because the voltage has gone, but if BT disconnect the Fiber part the voltage is still present so the router does not see the drop in line, thus when I restart the router everything burst back to life. 

Message 12 of 18

@apav wrote:

The BT fiber to the cabinet is Fiber goes to the nearest BT cabinet in the street then uses the wire to go to the house.

That's where the VDSL kicks in for the D7000 to manage.

This issue is still present, it appears the router will detect a drop in the Telephone line i.e if I disconnect the phone line from the socket but does not detect if BT disconnect the fiber connect to the wire going to the house.

It does here. When the BT line drops, the DSL signal goes with it. The DSL LED on the modem (third from left) then changes, according t the manual's explanation.

There are times when the [hone line dies – no dial tone – but the DSL signal is still there. You can use the Internet but not make phone calls. That's a rare one, but it has happened here.

How is your Internet connection configured? What about the Connection Mode? Is that set to Always On?

From your description, I wonder if there is something happening on your network.

Do you have WiFi devices? I did ask about that before, but can't see any response.

If the WiFi stays on and usable, then look elsewhere on your network.

Did you ever track down why one of your PCs is at 100 Mbps (red LED) while the other is white (1000 Mbps)?

Did you follow the link to the full manual that I posted?

Message 13 of 18
apav
Tutor

We tracked the red led the laptop setup was set to 100 (left over from a holiday trip,  that is now sorted. I now have the full manual thanks for the link.

We have checked and the telephone still works when the broad band has failed.

I will be off on business trip so will not be doing any more investigation for a while.

Gigaclear have now installed full fiber in our street so will be moving over to them when current BT contract expires very soon,

but as of now if the broadband connection fails we are going to try just unplugging the phone cable and letting the router sorts itself out and see how that goes.

Thank for the help

Alan

Message 14 of 18
apav
Tutor

I have the full manual thanks for link.

When the broad band is not connecting

1) Our land line telephone still works.

2) We have Apple Iphones one as a radio one as a music centre two as phones, all show the WIFI connected on home screen but when viewed in IPHONE settings the WIFI shows as "NO INTERNET CONNECTION)

3) We have a WIFI Printer and that still prints during failure, from either a PC on a cat5 cable of from IPHONE via WIFI.

The only unusual thing about our set up is our WIFI do not broadcast there SID and have a long password, and neither Guest WIFI are turned on.

all devices are allocated to there own IP address via MAC numbers, the DHCP part of the router is set to a range just big enough for our devices no spares. hopefully I have attached a JPG of the broadband part of the router configuration. 

Thanks again

Message 15 of 18

@apav wrote:

2) We have Apple Iphones one as a radio one as a music centre two as phones, all show the WIFI connected on home screen but when viewed in IPHONE settings the WIFI shows as "NO INTERNET CONNECTION)

Apple users should beware this:

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

Message 16 of 18
apav
Tutor

thanks for the info.

We did have an issue when we first tried using the IPHONES, and tried using the Private WIFI settings in the phone as we did not Realise that with hat setting the phone used a different MAC number and as we had set the router to allocate IP address to a particular MAC number the phone was not being allocated an address and was getting prohibited from joining the WIFI in the building yet alone getting access to the web, but they have not been prohibited from joining the WIFI since we removed that setting from the phones.

plus when the router can not contact the internet the IPHONES can still print to the WIFI Printer. like the laptop ,and the PC which can still print.

We are still waiting for the next lack of internet to check if just unplugging the router from the phone socket and putting it back in will connect the service rather then restarting the router either power wise or accessing the router and selecting reboot, as we know both of those options work and the service comes back.

Thanks Alan   

Message 17 of 18
apav
Tutor

Hi

I have just checked it appears the last changes worked well as the router has not rebooted for 10 days which is good for Us

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7