Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Model D7800 and NBN with Iinet

YGray
Aspirant

Nighthawk Model D7800 and NBN with Iinet

Hi, I've read all the posts on this issue esp. Melbourne Marty. I have completed all the instructions to get setup with NBN. No connection.

i have spoken at length with IiNet. I think they googled Marty's suggestions also btw.

do you think my Nighthawk is dead? I really don't know what else to think.

look forward to your responses.

Yvonne

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6

Re: Nighthawk Model D7800 and NBN with Iinet

What sort of NBN is this?

Getting stuff to work on NBN can be a nightmare. The good news is that a lot of people have already grappled with the challenge. So there's a lot of past experience that you can draw on:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – D6300 NBN

You can try narrowing that down by plugging the name of your ISP into the search. Some ISPs have especially exotic configurations.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – NBN D7800 Iinet

The problem is that NBN comes in many flavours, effectively it just means "Australian Internet".

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Start by checking for your type of NBN.

While Netgear lists all manner of things as being "compatible" with NBN in that article, in reality this often means that the device will work as a router. You have to bypass the modem bit and use something else as a modem. Sometimes it is just the NBN box that your ISP installed.

Here's a good place to start looking for local expertise:

“NBN” - Whirlpool Forums

Remember, if you are transferring your modem/router from one type of NBN to another it is a good idea to reset the modem/router to that it forgets in past settings carried over from the old service.

Good luck, you may need it.

Message 2 of 6
YGray
Aspirant

Thx @michaelkenward it's FTTC which is what I referenced. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I spent hours researching this Forum. I used the Iinet one you refer to And yes I reset the Nighthawk too.

given that this  Nighthawk D7800 has already connected successfully to the  NBN Box once I'm at a loss as to why it won't now. It's a new NBN box ( the other was faulty) and ive done all the correct setups. I can only conclude the Nighthawk has died.

Message 3 of 6

Look at the manual to see how to use your D7800 modem/router with a cable service. It is no use as a modem. You don't have DSL. When you reset it, that wipes out any settings needed to get it into router mode. 

Message 4 of 6
YGray
Aspirant

Thx @michaelkenward youve been very patient. I have looked up the manual for Nighthawk D7800. In looking at the lights it seems I may have identified the issue . I have attached a photo. The internet/ dsl LED  light is solid orange. The manual says it should be solid white.

is colour relevant? If so given I've checked all the cables are properly connected the manual suggests it's the cable connection ie the ISP needs to fix this.

Message 5 of 6

@YGray wrote:

The internet/ dsl LED  light is solid orange. The manual says it should be solid white.

This suggests that you have not got the correct Internet connection details.

Did you read the bit in the manual: Manually Set Up a Cable or Fiber Internet Connection?

@YGray wrote:

If so given I've checked all the cables are properly connected the manual suggests it's the cable connection ie the ISP needs to fix this.

If you can connect to the Internet simply by pliugging into the "NBN Box" there is npthing wrong with your Internet service.

You need the login details for your Internet account and the setting that any router needs before it can connect.

There is more to this process than simply plugging things together.

@YGray wrote:

I have attached a photo.

It has not arrived.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7