Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4s and Australian NBN - FFTN doesn't work.

carnag3
Guide

Nighthawk X4s and Australian NBN - FFTN doesn't work.

Hi guys, recently got Fibre to the Node through the National Broadband Network, it works over VDSL2.

When connected to the Optus (my ISP) modem I get a flawless connection, however when I use my X4S D7800 I get a very unstable connection (between 30 and 100 disconnections)

I have isolated the issue to the modem, and I know that this uses a new chipset. I am pretty annoyed as you can understand (this is a $550 modem), really want to not have to use my ISP modem…

I tried changing MTU and every setting under the sun, but to no avail, the disconnections are constant. 😞

Any chance Netgear is going to actually support this (It's kind of a big deal, the hwole of Australia will soon be on VDSL2, cery few people get fibre to the premise under the new governemnt).

Thanks in advance,
carnag3

Message 1 of 124
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Nighthawk X4s and Australian NBN - FFTN doesn't work.

Hello carnag3

The D7800 does support VDSL2. Have you made sure to use the filter that came with modem or try a different filter could be a noise issue causing the unstable connection. If you believe that the modem may be faulty then I would suggest contacting Netgear support it could need to be replaced.

http://support.netgear.com/general/contact/default.aspx

DarrenM 

Message 2 of 124
carnag3
Guide

Yeah no I know it's 'supposed to' but apparently the NBN in Australia has really strict standards on what VDSL2 modems it allows on the network.

Interestingly, there are third party ones that work (that are also a lot cheaper), and my modem is fine because I checked it at work (no problerms) and I have a second X4s that i tried at home (and the drop-outs continue).

I think it is because the chipset in the x4s is brand new, where as some of the older broadcom? chipsets that are not having problems.

A compliant list of modems for the FTTN network can be found here:

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router

And discussion on the intermittent problems with the X4S can be found here:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2418181#r49330059

So I am pretty sure it's the actual chipset, thus meant me asking about firmware.

Thanks for your help so far,
carnag3

Message 3 of 124

Hi Darren,

bought this modem a few days ago and same issues. Disconnects on the link light all day long.

Accessing the home page seems to drop the link.

Its a massively expensive modem so please find a fix asap.

Telstra ISP issued modem has no troubles.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 4 of 124

This modem is not usable.

Bugs in some areas on periphary functions are ok but no dsl link is a fundamental problem meaning you have to remove it physically.

Netgear you need to fix this quickly.

Message 5 of 124
carnag3
Guide

Yeah, I agree, this sucks. I got 2 7800's for home and office and neither are usable considering both are now switched on to FTTN NBN.

Netgear, this issue won't go away, in the next 12 months more and more people will be switched and I can only imagine the flood of complaints.

A simple answer would be good, can netgear fix this or not, is the chipset not capable?

Message 6 of 124

And just for the interest of clarity it can connect it just disconnects randomly and then sometimes reconnects.

Its a fundamental feature to have a link right ?

Also my Telstra Gateway max which im forced to use until this is fixed never loses the link.

As far as line quality goes its no issue here. I get 100/40 speeds and am 30 mtrs from the node.

Message 7 of 124
carnag3
Guide

Tempted to start using my social media. Let's see if they can figure out who I am.

Message 8 of 124
Philharmonick
Initiate

Hi Guys,

Exactly the same issue here.  I work for a Telco and have both an MP264 and Draytek 2860 which both can run all day, but the D7800 refuses to hold sync for any more than 1/2 hour.  FTTN NBN.   Knowing that NBN Co don't release a list of tested CPE I asked Netgear presales support specifically if it had been tested by an Aussie RSP and was assured it was.  Obviously not. 

I would like to know what steps Netgear are willing to take to either fix it or reimburse me for the sale.  I can't blaim the retailer for this.

Message 9 of 124

@Phil

Hey Phil, i gave up as Tech Support told me my line was noisy which is not true.

I took the X4 back and bought a D-Link Taipan.

No problem since and the UI is better as well. Much more responsive.

Message 10 of 124

And Phil, i bought mine from Harvey Norman and when i took it back i gave them a copy of the online tech support transcript with Netgear showing the difficulty i had and the tech advising me to take it back. Harvey's were ok with that and they also gave me a good price on the Taipan.

Also the VPN service on the Nighthawk does not work with current FW with a fixed IP. They are aware of the bug.

Message 11 of 124
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

Our Engineers are looking into these issues but we need some help to track down the problem if any one is willing to help message me so I can give instructions on what we need you to do.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 124
carnag3
Guide

Will reply now! 🙂 Hopefully Netgear comes good, on this very sexy modem.

Message 13 of 124
Westy007
Guide

Same issue here. Im connected to FTTN (on c coast NSW) and my brand new d7800 is disconnecting every 1/2 hour to 1hr. Wished i had a read this thread prior to my purchase! This $500 is not holding a connection , where the ISP provided $50 modem is completely stable. Netgear this needs to be fixed!!

Message 14 of 124

Take it back and buy a D-Link Taipan. I did and havent looked back.

Netgear's support has been woeful and they blame poor line quality.

Same old story in that ISP supplied modem is good but D7800 disconnects all the time.

And if you plan to use the VPN support with a fixed IP, well that doesn't work either.

Message 15 of 124
carnag3
Guide

Message the mod in here about sending them your log from a tool they provide; the D7800 looks a lot better than the Taipan. The more data they get the easier it is for them to fix. And long term they can't ignore that their flagship product can't work on the entire country's network.

Message 16 of 124

[he D7800 looks a lot better than the Taipan.]

Ahhm, on appearance or functionality ?

Cause functionality right now is a no brainer.

Message 17 of 124
Westy007
Guide

carnag3 - cheers, messaged the mod yesterday- no reply yet! Hopefully i hear back soon. Will report any 'new news' as i hear it!

Message 18 of 124
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

I did receive you Pms I will be messaging you soon with instructions on what we need. Thanks for all the help.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 124
Westy007
Guide

Thx DarrenM log sent as requested

Message 20 of 124
Skrapps
Aspirant

I am also not able to connect to the Internet via this modem/router that I specifically purchased for when my NBN connection went live (yesterday). Therefore I am using the Telstra modem. What is the advised action from Netgear in this case?
Message 21 of 124
Westy007
Guide

Hey skrapps, im new here as well. Netgear are aware of the problem and have engineers looking at it. i was sent a program to record data and sent back to engineers. If you message darrenM (netgear mod) he may get you to do the same for a fix for this issue. I can only see this getting worse for netgear before it gets better with so many people more people accessing NBN and fibre to the node. There is nowhere that i can see on the retail pack that advises this is not suitable for FTTN - just says NBN ready!

Message 22 of 124
Philharmonick
Initiate

Hey Guys,

Just FYI, I've been doing the "try this" and "try that" with Netgear since the 18th Feb, I've send Darren and Netgear support the log files and have tried different firmware version at their request.

Support have just sent me a message essentially saying that they can't help me and have sent it to engineering.  Although at every request they have failed to respond to my question as to how Netgear can assist in obtaining a refund for me. 

Seems to me like the unit wasn't well tested with NBN FTTN (I wouldn't trust it with FTTB either).  Anyway, while I like the functionality of the product it's unusable and now I'm off to see if the reseller will provide a refund (because Netgear say they won't!!!!)

Good luck. 

Phil

Message 23 of 124
Westy007
Guide

It seems im just about at that stage as well Philharmonick! Ive already sent a d7800 back as it would not connect to net and faulty, so my chances of getting a refund on the second unit which i have been stuffing around with is very unlikely. And yes sent the diagnostics in for mine as well

I suggest Netgear never tested the unit for the FTTN technology in australia or the retail box would clearly state not for fttn. It does say NBN ready though, so should work with all applications

Message 24 of 124

Seems to me like the unit wasn't well tested with NBN FTTN (I wouldn't trust it with FTTB either).  Anyway, while I like the functionality of the product it's unusable and now I'm off to see if the reseller will provide a refund (because Netgear say they won't!!!!)

Good luck. 

Phil

Hey Phil, as discussed previously i logged in to tech support for a live chat. Get the support guy to agree its faulty and to send it back.

They will give you a number that the distributor will recognize as needing to be returned. When you finish your online chat they automatically email you a copy of the chat in the form of a log.

Print it, take it and the D7800 back. Explain to the distributor you were told to bring it back and show them the log.

Then do yourself a favour a get a Taipan. I havent looked back. The web interface is slicker and faster.

Oh and no dropped conections after 2 weeks now 🙂

Message 25 of 124
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7