Totix92
Aspirant

Re: Porting v3 (NG GENIE) FW on DGND3700v1

param set telnetd_enable=1
Message 176 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Of course, I already know the right syntax for this command but there is something different on this device since telnet server does not launch even with this setting enabled.

I also explored patched files released for dgn2200v4 and the only modification was the addition of the command line you suggested.

More investigation needed.
Message 177 of 217
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Don't know if you exchange any info with Richud on both your efforts for firmware, but just FYI that Richud's firmware has Telnet daemon working fine. It can be enabled/started - disabled/stopped from the router's web interface without having to jump through the hoops Netgear had in place to get Telnet access to the router.
Message 178 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I explored all richud patches in past and if I remember correctly he replaced default telnet daemon with a more standard one. As Totix92 said it's possible to enable default daemon on new router models I tried that, since I'd like to keep this fw as unmodded as I can.
I'll probably add support for an autoexec script saved on usb external drive. This will allow us to do some experiments without rebuilding and reflashing fw image each time.
Message 179 of 217
stefauresi
Aspirant

Very great job LuKePicci 😉

I sent you a PM to get the archive password 😛
Message 180 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I successfully unlocked telnet but I have some tests to do before releasing.
Message 181 of 217
whitehed
Aspirant

This is great news!!!
Message 182 of 217
whitehed
Aspirant

any news for the telnet problem?
Message 183 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I won't have the router with me for the next two weeks.
I found some useful (maybe) stuff here. Is there anyone who could try?
Message 184 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Well, two weeks passed, and I've come back home, so I tried, and... IT WORKS!! Wellcome back telnet console ;(

We have to thank who updated the openwrt wiki with recent discovery about the new telnetenable utility.

I strongly suggest everybody who flashed the firmware I compiled with homemade telnet unlocking (ie. who got a download link to it via PM) to downgrade at the last public build I posted on this thread (post #163).

"Why you didn't published the firmware with homemade telnet unlocking?"

Well, it was pretty unstable, because of the not really disabled default telnet daemon, and since I won't add any custom web interface for custom settings (because it's not a "mod" frmware, just a porting) it was not able to be disabled.
Message 185 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

Your binary is 16-bit, therefore it won't run on 64-bit versions of Windows.
Message 186 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

I've compiled a 32-bit binary and it works. Thank you!

PS: There's a small typo in the printf output string "Modified to work with newer Negear routers".
Message 187 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

A new firmware version 3.0.0.16 is available.

New Features
Updated FW for compliance to the new regulatory EN 300 328 and EN 301 893.

Known issue
IPv6 Pass through mode doesn't work.
Message 188 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Thank you for trying, I have only 64-bit Windows computers and I compiled and tested the binary on the repo on this machines... where you found a 16-bit binary?
Message 189 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

PS. thank you for new version alert, Always faster thant everybody.
Message 190 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

LuKePicci wrote:
Thank you for trying, I have only 64-bit Windows computers and I compiled and tested the binary on the repo on this machines... where you found a 16-bit binary?

The binary on your Github page is 16-bit.
Message 191 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

What happened to my post about the new firmware, it was there and now it's gone? Forum moderator, please restore it.
Message 192 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Are you using 32 bit Windows? Maybe the binary in my repo is compiled fo 64-bit...
Message 193 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

No I'm running 64-bit, if I was running 32-bit then it would work. The binary is 16-bit.
Message 194 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

My post about the release of firmware version 3.0.0.16 is still missing...

Anyway, I just downloaded the whole repo as a zip and extracted the binary from it and it works, but when I downloaded the binary by itself it didn't work, it gave me the incompatible 16-bit application error. How odd. Oh well.
Message 195 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Ok, the 16-bit error show up whan the file is not a valid binary, maybe your download was corrupt.
Message 196 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I compiled the new firmware for my router, let me test it for a while before publishing.
Message 197 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

316_rev7 - 3700v1, fw 3.0.0.16 from 3800B, w/ 1.0.0.20beta AnnexA(+M) xDSL driver

3700v1 fw 3.0.0.16 from 3800B, AnnexA(+M) driver from 3700v1 .20 BETA

Changes from TEST_04161937:

- all changes Netgear officially reported for v3.0.0.16 fw
- new language tables (v3.0.0.16)
- removed home-made telnet unlocking code

Please, if you have set telnetd_enable=1 by telnet console while attempting to unlock console access turn it off doing 'param set telnetd_enable=0 && param save' since it spawn a second ghost instance of telnetd daemon eating 99% of CPU continously.

Remember to download new language tables choosing a different language from the menu, and then select again your preferred language (advanced home shows your current lang. table version should be 3.0.0.16 after switching the language).

You can flash this firmware by Genie administration web page
(downgrading maybe prevented by new Netgear restrictions;
flashing by serial console obviously is not affected).
Some users had problems upgrading from / downgrading to richud's firmware
based on 1.0.0.X, occurring mostly before a full reset.
If you have issues regarding english UI language (ie. non english UI
while english lang selected) after downgrading read w3wilkes post #111.

Do a factory reset after flashing, unless you previously did it while running
v3 fw and all is still working as before.

I must repeat that I CAN'T TEST some features (no VDSL, ipv6, annexM),
but other people in this thread tested previous versions successfully.

If you really want to try it and you have enough experience to understand
other user's help in case of critical issues, then send me an
email with "#DGND3700v1" in the subject using the link available in my forum
profile (or here) and I'll send you the download link to the latest firmware.
Message 198 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I included two script lines into the startup file that call a file named "postinit.sh" from /tmp/mnt/storage and create it if not exists. It is meant to add startup customization on the fly without touching the firmware image. You can easely edit this file by telnet copying it from a network shared usb pendrive or sharing the internal storage with samba. Note that the script is executed in sync mode and not launched as a background task, so if you need to add time consuming commands you should embrace all your code into brackets and follow them with an ampersand like this:

( echo Time consuming example task
&& sleep 300
) &

or create your own script and launch it async

/tmp/mnt/storage/myscript.sh &

As the name suggest, postinit.sh it is executed AFTER all init tasks executed by the stock firmware. You should be aware that if you exec commands that block access to the router you actually won't be able to recover unless you access it by serial console which requires to buy a few hardware and soldering some wires. I strongely suggest you all to experiment with this script calling your custom code from a different script saved on external usb drive so if something go wrong you can easely remove usb pendrive and fix the script on your pc.

I also included a newer busybox-mips binary with a huge additional amount of useful commands. You have it in the path so simply type busybox-mips and you will get the usage help with the list of commands.

Again, I think this shouldn't be considered a mod firmware, so I try to keep as untouched as I can. I hope that the task of modding postinit script will be too difficult for not experienced users, so they can't brick their devices.

Let me know what you think about that,
Enjoy :cool:
Message 199 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

My testing experience so far (I did a hard reset first):
WiFi is not working upon rebooting the router after completing the initial setup (or turning it on from a powered off state). The WiFi LEDs are on, but that's it, no network is broadcast, no wireless device can connect. I have to turn the WiFi off and then on again (via the button on the front of the router) and then it works fine.

Do you have a build that I can test that doesn't contain any of those new mods/additions mentioned above? Then I will be able to determine if the fault lies with the changes Netgear made or your new mods/additions (your 3.0.0.12 build didn't have this problem). Thank you.
Message 200 of 217
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7