Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Porting v3 (NG GENIE) FW on DGND3700v1

w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Porting v3 (NG GENIE) FW on DGND3700v1

LuKePicci, I actually flashed the most recent Richud version of the firmware which shows as 1.0.0.17. From what I believe he only does his mods on the ww version. The 1.0.0.17NA was the -4 version of the firmware on this router since I do live in NA. Are you suggesting I try the NA version? If so I only want to do it to clear up this language issue and then come back to the current Richud version. My wife is getting tired of me saying "network's down" when she wants to put some music on the stereo or use her PC.
Thanks, Wilkes
Message 101 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

TheBlind had success into repairing the language issue. So there is a fw flashing combination that bring you to solve the problem.
I have no idea about which it is. As far as I know most (read almost all) people having this issue are playing with the richud's fw also (that is probably based on the WW sources, as you said). DGND3800B fw is a German (DE) fw, so may be normal to find built-in languages. That's why I was talking about 1.0.0.17 NA version (should contain english as default?).

The other strange (bad) thing is the missing param set in v1 nvram about Language mts's layout. to understand what I means compare your nvram to this one.

Tip: you can save nvram with 'param show>nvram.txt', doing it into an usb stick will make things easier.
Message 102 of 217
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Thanks for the reply. Right now I've been waylaid with a sleepover with the grandkids which is a lot of fun, but keeps me REALLY BUSY, a 10 month old and 4 year old. I hope TheBlind will jump in with some words of wisdom on what he did. Maybe I'll PM to see if (s)he'll(?) help.
Message 103 of 217
TheBlind
Aspirant

Sorry for the delay, but the forum hasn't notified me about the new messages in the thread in the last few days, I don't know why... Regarding the language issue, unfortunately I can't help because, as I wrote, I actually managed to get the 3.0.0.7 firmware working (with its problems, though...), and the language problem arose only when trying to downgrade the firmware... If I can help in any other way, please tell me!
Message 104 of 217
w3wilkes
Prodigy

TheBlind, Thanks for the reply. LuKePicci thought you might have invented a way to fix the language issue when going back to the DGND3700 firmware. I haven't had a chance to try going to 1.0.0.17NA vs the Richud code that I think is 1.0.0.17 WW based. If you tried the 1.0.0.17NA and it didn't do the job I'd like to know and it would save me a couple of "firmware load and configuration exercises". Even though I don't speak German I know the interface well enough to do everything to the modem.
Message 105 of 217
TCHAMMER
Tutor

Netgear Released the fixed Firmware for the DGND3800B v3.0.0.8

Changelog:

Bug Fixes

Wi-Fi disconnecting issue.
Fixed: UPnP attack will make the router to crash.
Change time format to fix some log mail can not display time correctly.

Known Issues

IPv6 Pass through mode doesn't work.
Message 106 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

TCHAMMER wrote:
Netgear Released the fixed Firmware for the DGND3800B v3.0.0.8

I'll give it a look tomorrow. I wish compilation will be less trouble than 3.0.0.7
Message 107 of 217
TheBlind
Aspirant

After my first upgrade from the 1.0.0.20 Beta fw (not the NA version, but I don't think the language tables issue is specific) to the 3.0.0.7 fw, I had problems only in setting up my ADSL; I tried then to revert back to the v1 fw (both .20 and .17), and there the problem arose. I struggled with them for some time but I didn't find a solution. Then, after upgrading again to the v3 fw, the language tables problem disappeared, as it was the v3 language tables who didn't go away as expected with the downgrade, not the other way around. This time, though, my ADSL issues disappeared as well so I'm sticking with the v3 fw, hoping the bugs of the .7 version will be/have been resolved.
Message 108 of 217
whitehed
Aspirant

any news on the 3.0.0.8 fw?
Message 109 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I am a little busy at the moment, I had given it a look in the last week (and noticed that it will take me some effort to be compiled - as like as v3.0.0.7). I'm going to work on it as soon as I have some free time.
Message 110 of 217
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Finally figured out how to get back to English language when going back to stock DGND3700v1 firmware from LuKePicci's DGND3800b firmware. Here's what I did.

First I loaded the DGND3700 1.0.0.12NA firmware.
Factory reset.
Set the language to Deutsch from English even though it was displaying everything in German.
Loaded the DGND3700 1.0.0.17NA firmware.
Set the language to English, Viola! At this point the UI language switched to English.
Factory reset.

I then loaded the current Richud firmware (09121810).
Factory reset and all stayed in English.

Hope this helps someone.
Message 111 of 217
w3wilkes
Prodigy

One thing I forgot to mention in the prior post on getting back to English. For ALL steps I had full internet access from the router so that if a language change request required a language table update the router would be able to retrieve it.
Message 112 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Good news. And excellent description. :cool:

I still had no time to work on new fw version, but I have it in first place of do-in-free-time list
Message 113 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

TEST_10131855 - 3700v1, fw 3.0.0.8 from 3800B, AnnexA(+M) driver from 3700v1 .20 BETA

3700v1, fw 3.0.0.8 from 3800B, AnnexA(+M) driver from 3700v1 .20 BETA

Changes from TEST_07262050:

- all changes Netgear officially reported here for new v3.0.0.8 fw
- new language tables (v3.0.0.8)
- ext2, ext3, inotifyd, and other modules enabled in kernel configuration (by netgear)
- so I enabled ext4dev modules also (if someone could test it I'll be grateful)

I'm running this version of the firmware since this afternoon on my 3800B and it seems to be stable. To download the new Language table choose a different Language from the menu, and then select again your preferred Language (advanced home shows your current lang. table version, should be 3.0.0.8 after updating).

I had no luck compiling working images with newer dsl drivers Buckchoi found. They don't load successfully.

You can flash this firmware by webui (and also reverting to original .17).
Some users had problems upgrading from / downgrading to richud's firmware, occurring mostly before a full reset.
If you have problems with english UI language (ie. not english while english selected) after downgrading read w3wilkes post #111.

Do a factory reset after flashing, unless you previously did it while running
v3 fw and all is still working as before.

I must repeat that I CAN'T TEST some features (no VDSL, ipv6, annexM,
annexB in my country), but other people in this thread tested previous versions
successfully.

To keep the file secured from standard users I protected it with a password,
if you really want to try it and you have experience in fw recovery,
then send me a pm and I'll give you the password.

RAR password schema is the same of previous image. If you don't understand
what I mean, send me a PM and I'll give you the password.

DGND3700_TEST_10131855_A_D
Message 114 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

Thanks LuKePicci, I'm using your latest build and so far it has been stable.

Regarding the problem with using the newer DSL drivers, perhaps using a different adsldd.ko kernel module in the build might work (richud says that's where the error comes from). Would you like to try that? If you're willing to test this, I can send you the kernel modules from the same firmwares that I sent you the newer DSL drivers.
Message 115 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

For sure. However I think that this kind of mods will need a "branched" topic. This thread started with the purpose of testing 3800b firmware portability. It has been proved that it works well, so could be a good idea to keep this firmware clean from "extreme" modding. Richud's project could be ok for this, otherwise I think porting his mods on v3 fw won't take so much efforts. Some of his patches are already builtin on new fw versions, and if we start excluding more problematic packages (I'm referring to samba, ntfs3g, nfs, and udhcpd), should be easy to setup torrent and additional services to run from usb attached device. This approach will avoid frequent fw compilation, and keeps it cleaner.

Send me adsldd files.
Message 116 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

Here you can find a long list of things that can be done without any fw mod on DGND3700v1/3800B.
Message 117 of 217
Buckchoi
Guide

Thanks again LuKePicci, I have PM'd you the relevant files.

I don't consider this to be an "extreme" mod because if Netgear were to ever release a new firmware for the DGND3700v1 (which was promised several times, but never happened) it would contain an updated AnnexA DSL driver. The DGND3800B has received AnnexB DSL driver updates in it's firmware releases. Effectively what you've done with this project is given us the firmware update that Netgear never did, and all it needs to be on par with the DGND3800B is an updated AnnexA DSL driver. Good luck with the testing! 🙂
Message 118 of 217
stryfe
Aspirant

Hi all,

I have upgraded my DGND3700v1 with the latest firmware of LuKePicci.

I noticed that my GUI turned first to Dutch (from English) on the first screen and then German on the second screen. The problem was solved when I switched back to English.

The ADSL is working very stable. Great work LuKePicci.

One side note is that I cannot turn off the 2.4 / 5 ghz wireless channels as the menu option does not work.

Great job though the many bugs in the firmware of the DGND3700 firmware have been solved in this 3800b one. 🙂
Message 119 of 217
nl06132
Aspirant

Just installed your latest firmware on our DGND3700. It looks fine and stable. thx
Message 120 of 217
kwstacis
Aspirant

hi, everywhere can someone give me the password at p.m. .thanks
Message 121 of 217
nl06132
Aspirant

Hello LuKePicci,

The connection is very stable, the only remarks I have is:
When I logon to my modem, I see in the basic-tab home: INTERNET: NOT CONNECTED; but in de advanced-tab advanced home, I see I am connected.

What can/must I do: to get in de basic-tab home also the message connected?

thx
Message 122 of 217
LuKePicci1
Aspirant

I have the same issue. It's a 3.0.0.8 problem, maybe they hardcoded some string to check connection status in german language. I will try to debug this but I think this is not into an open source file. I don't know if this problem also shows up with the original DGND3800B version. My router runs this unpatched fw just recompiled with switched adsl driver, so I think this is a Netgear fault. I will check.
Message 123 of 217
nl06132
Aspirant

LukePicci,

I am not sure, but I think it worked after the initial installation. Maybe my minor issue is maybe caused by adjusting the devicename from if i recall correctly from something with 'broadcom' in 'DGND3700'.
Message 124 of 217
nl06132
Aspirant

LukePicci,

I do not know what exactly I did, but the connection-indication in the basic-home tab is working now.

regards
Message 125 of 217
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7