Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacing AC1900 D7000 Router

Frenchpeet
Aspirant

Replacing AC1900 D7000 Router

Hi,

I’ve been using a D7000 Nighthawk AC1900 with a couple of Extenders (EX2700), it has been an improvement on the standard supplied BT Modem but I’m still get a few dead spaces and dropouts (running on a single SSID).

I’ve keen to understand whether I’d see a genuine improvement with Orbi and I assume my D7000 will become redundant 😞

Message 1 of 4

Re: Replacing AC1900 D7000 Router

Consider your problem, wifi "not spots", before reaching conclusions about the hardware.

How many dead zones are there? Any chance that a single new source would fill them?

Simply putting something else in the same place as the D7000 may not fill the gaps.

The simplest approach would be to experiment with the EX2700s and see if moving them around solves the problem.

You may find it preferable to put another wifi extender somewhere in the gap between the router and the dead zones. If you can run a cable between the router and the new extender, then you could set it up as a wifi access point.

Another approach  would be to set up Powerline Ethernet with a combined access point/LAN socket at the remote end.

As @Case850 says, the Orbi is intended for users who need a simple, and basic, setup, devoid of much in the way of bells and whistles.

You say you have a "D7000 router". It is really a modem-router. Is it also delivering wifi? If you do put another router (such as the Orbi) into the network, you will either have to put the new router into AP mode or tell the modem to work in modem only (bridge) mode. The good news is that this is a straightforward setting for the D7000.

Message 2 of 4
Frenchpeet
Aspirant

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I'd also come to the conclusion that experimenting with the deadspots would be the best way forward.

I've an old house with think walls and a lined brick chimney dead right in the centre of the property! I tried using power extenders previously but with poor results as the wiring in the house goes through an old distribution box.

I've decided to invest in an EX7000 and see if I can get the 5Ghz channel to provide a FastLane channel for the upstairs where most of the signal attenuation is. I've channel scanned the building and most of the neighbourhood is occupying Channel 6 & 11 so I've defaulted everying to Channel 1 for 2.4Ghz and Channel 44 for 5Ghz to reduce potential interferance.

They have character these old English houses but are frustrating when you want to use 21st Century tech! 🙂

Message 3 of 4

Good luck.

Remember, 5GHz is faster but has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7