Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed drop using DGND3700v1 as a switch+AP

Speed drop using DGND3700v1 as a switch+AP

Hi!

I recently got installed optic fibre on my home, with a 100MB/10MB connection.

Due to the use of VLAN's, I couldn't connect my DGND3700 directly to the fibre modem (OTN), so I tried connecting it to the provided wifi router, using LAN ports on both routers, and my PC to another LAN port of the DGND3700.

While making some tests, I've noticed that the measured speed when going through the DGND3700 is like 50 Mb/s, while if connected directly (or through a gigabit switch) to the provided router, it's the full 100Mb/s.

Anyone has any idea why this could be happening?

Here's the diagram of my current home network:
http://i.imgur.com/kOvhl.png

I'd like to eliminate the gigabit switch, and use instead the DGND3700 both as acces point and switch, but with the drop in speed I can't... 😞
Message 1 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Speed drop using DGND3700v1 as a switch+AP

setup dngd as access point using existing cat5 cable
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
Message 2 of 17

jmizoguchi wrote:
setup dngd as access point using existing cat5 cable

This is already my configuration. I'm using the dgnd as access point, only connecting to it through wifi, thus the drop in speed is not relevant, as the wifi will hardly reach the 50mbps limit. Also, I have CAT6 cable in every connection.

The problem is that through the wired coneection I want my full 100mbps. If I plug one of the dgnd's LAN ports to a LAN port in the internet router, and my gaming PC to another LAN port of the dgnd (of course, the dgnd's WAN port is not used), the max speed I test is around 50mbps. If I eliminate the dgnd and plug the computer directly to the LAN port of the internet router I do get the 100mbps. Also, if I use a switch (as in the current configuration in the graph) the speed is also 100mpbs.

It seems that using the dgnd as a gigabit switch does not work well...
Message 3 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

In my limited experience, most TVs have LAN ports which are rated to 100mb, not 1Gbit. What is the speed of the Wireless adaptor which you are using? Is it possible for you to check this on a PC?

Many WiFi n adaptors are not rated to make use of the full connection speed. Many new mobiles and tablets only support up to 65mbps, for example.

When I was using the DGND3700v1 I never had problems with the ports dropping to below 1Gbit.
Message 4 of 17

The connection problem is not through the TV, but through the gaming PC, and not through wifi, but CAT6 cable and gigabit adapters.

To eliminate complications. What I get is:

PC -> Comtrend Internet Router -> Internet --> 100mbps
PC -> Linksys Gigabit Switch -> Comtrend Internet Router-> Internet --> 100mbps
PC -> DGND3700 (LAN) -> Comtrend Internet Router-> Internet --> 50mbps 😞
Message 5 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

It is a shame that you don't have a NAS or something, so that you can perform the tests completely internally.

Could you try disabling the DLNA feature on the DGND3700? Also just to confirm, is the DGND3700 connecting via the Ethernet port or the WAN port to the other router?
Message 6 of 17

I have one more PC with gigabit (the HTPC in the diagram), so I could try to test internal speeds between both computers, either through the Comtrend router only or both through the dgnd and the comtrend one. Do you know any easy and reliable tool to test the LAN speed between two PCs?

And, of course 😉 The WAN port on the dgnd is unused, only LAN ports both for the comtrend router and the computer.

Thanks for the replies, by the way!
Message 7 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

When I have transferred files within my home network, I have found that copying large files will show the best consistent result. Small files require too much HDD head movement to be useful.

I managed to push my LAN to it's max when using a PC to copy files from one NAS to another. I had to have 3 transfers happening at the same time to push it to the max though.

As for showing the actual speed, I used the speed shown by Windows Explorer (Win 7 shows the transfer speed in the copy box) and Windows Task Manager.

Whilst not scientific, it did give me a clear indication of my transfer speeds.

I would also suggest that you perform the tests in normal mode and 'Safe Mode'. It is very possible for a firewall or AV program to affect the results.

Finally use each PC to copy from the other and to copy back to the other.

I am hoping that this will identify the cause or bottleneck for you.
Message 8 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If I eliminate the dgnd and plug the computer directly to the LAN port of the internet router I do get the 100mbps. Also, if I use a switch (as in the current configuration in the graph) the speed is also 100mpbs.

Seems like issues with 3700 that is not able to push well since you stated same CAT6 where switch was placed with pc can retain better speed and also using switch in place
Message 9 of 17

Anyway my problem is not transfer speed inside the network (which should theoretically reach that gigabit per second), it's just from my PC to the internet, maxing out at 50 mbps when I plug in the dgnd and maxing at my stated 100mbps when I skip it and plug directly into the comtrend. Could it be due to some kind of fragmentation of data packets in the dgnd? :-m I use www.speedtest.net for the tests
Message 10 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When used with switch wasn't an issues so must be something DGND
Message 11 of 17

i can't believe it...

i opened a ticket at online support asking about my problem with LAN speed. i provided extended information, a map of my home network, and pointed them to this thread and they just closed it saying that "the DGND3700 doesn't allow a troughput of more than 50 megabits per second :-P" :confused:

Hmpf... A fine argument for a GIGABIT router... :mad:
Message 12 of 17
Scubbie
Apprentice

mediocaballero wrote:
...saying that "the DGND3700 doesn't allow a troughput of more than 50 megabits per second :-P" :confused:

Hmpf... A fine argument for a GIGABIT router... :mad:

pmsl - Even on a WiFi N router with a 100mb LAN and 144mbps WiFi I can achieve a throughput rate of 80mbps.

Open another ticket and you can quote me on that fact. It is one of the things which I put the Sky Hub SR101 through.
Message 13 of 17

I opened a new ticket and now I've been instructed to load another firmware and try again...

What makes me wonder is that in the instructions I've been provided, they say to use the WAN port in the router (wich, by the way, will make all computers under it belong to a different subnet, which is not what I want).

I wonder if there may be the problem WAN to LAN is 1gbps, but LAN to LAN may be limited to 100mbps... Doesn't make much sense, does it?
Message 14 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you want to use LAN to LAN like method in

Unless GUI allow the AP mode which utilize the WAN port (ethernet) to be used like many other WNDR family does.

Otherwise you will be limited to use LAN to LAN

This model is Gigabit router so all the LAN port should negotiate at 10/100/1000 but if you are having hard time getting Gigabit speed negotiate with computers/devices then usually that becomes driver issues on computer or sometime chipset on the NIC and Router has negotiate ion issues. Also you can force PC to use 1000Base-T/full duplex

http://www.home-network-help.com/speed-and-duplex.html
Message 15 of 17

Indeed, I was using LAN to LAN in my setup as explained in the article. I don't recall seeing any option to set DGND3700 as a bridged AP... 😞

I discarded the driver issue. I tried 2 setups:
PC -> DGND3700 -> Gigabit Switch -> Fibre Router -> Fibre Modem = 50mbps
PC -> Gigabit Switch -> Fibre Router -> Fibre Modem = 98mbps

I can't discard the fibre router from my setup as it creates a VLAN needed for the fibre modem (ONT) to work 😞
Message 16 of 17
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Indeed, I was using LAN to LAN in my setup as explained in the article. I don't recall seeing any option to set DGND3700 as a bridged AP... 😞

called AP mode not bridged AP but looks like there isn't an options

I discarded the driver issue. I tried 2 setups:
PC -> DGND3700 -> Gigabit Switch -> Fibre Router -> Fibre Modem = 50mbps
PC -> Gigabit Switch -> Fibre Router -> Fibre Modem = 98mbps

looks like in RED could connected at half duplex

PC -> DGND3700 -> Gigabit Switch -> Fibre Router -> Fibre Modem

remove switch and test
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos