Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to Cisco Modem (Charter)

rcarnemolla
Aspirant

Unable to connect to Cisco Modem (Charter)

I just switched from AT&T DSL service to Charter Cable Internet. I am unable to get my D7000 to connect with the Cisco modem that Charter provided. I have reset the D7000 multiple times. Each time I go to routerlogin.net and from there I allow the system to automatically detect the internet, but the error message I am receiving tells me to 1) rebooot the modem  and 2) Check ethernet cable. Tried those but still no luck.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong  or can you offer insight? Thank you.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 15
netwrks
Master

Re: Unable to connect to Cisco Modem (Charter)

Are you using the RED port, for cable Internet? Is the Cisco a modem only, or a router modem combo? If it's latter, can you put into bridge mode (modem only)? 

EDIT: for cable modem set up:  router manual -  Page 31.

Message 2 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

Thanks for replying. Yes, I am using the RED port. The Cisco is a modem only. I followed the directions that you included and still ending up with the same results. I appreciate your assistance.

Message 3 of 15
netwrks
Master

Is your modem registerd with your ISP? That can certainly stop you from connecting.. Also, do you have a link lights between the port on the router and Cisco modem? If you don't try a new Ethernet cable / make sure both ends are propoerly seated (you shoudl hear a click on each port).. 

Message 4 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

Modem was provided by Charter and is registered, and I have tried a few Ethernet cables. I will just end up getting a wireless router through Charter, which I didn't want to do. I specifically purchased the D7000 back in January with the intent of switching from DSL to cable when Charter finally became available. Oh well. 

Message 5 of 15
netwrks
Master

You can always try to reset the D7000 to facotry default and see if that changes anything..

Message 6 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

I did that as well. The instructions simply say to hit the reset button for a few seconds. The power light will begin to flash and then the unit will reboot. Unless I'm missing something simple, it just doesn't want to work.
Message 7 of 15
netwrks
Master

Maybe the WAN port is bad. If you can return it, then do that..

Message 8 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

I was wondering if that might be the case, but when the cable is plugged into the RED port, the light is illuminated orange. Is there a way to test the RED port to see if it is working?

I did notice that when I log into routerlogin.net -> advanced -> advanced home -> Internet Port has a red X associated with it. Not sure if this means anything or not.

Message 9 of 15
netwrks
Master

That means the internet os down. When you conect to the router what state is the WAN port in - up? down? speed? You shoud double-check with your ISP and ensure you new modem is registered. Have you tried directly connecting a laptop to the modem, to see if you could get to the interent?

Message 10 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

I am able to connect to the Internet when connecting from modem to laptop.
Not sure what you are asking when you want to know if the WAN port is up or down, speed. Where do I find that info?
Message 11 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello rcarnemolla 

you can try to go to Advanced- Setup- Wan Setup and then for Wan preference you can select Must use Ethernet WAN see if that works.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 15
rcarnemolla
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM,

I tried that already and still unable to connect. Thanks,

Message 13 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

rcarnemolla

If you have tried factory reset and its still not picking anything up on the WAN port you may want to contact Netgear support if the modem is under warranty so they can test and see if its a hardware issue and replace it if needed.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 14 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

rcarnemolla

Thought of another thing to try you may want and do mac spoofing here is a article on how to do this.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086

DarrenM

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7