Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

high downloads with D6000

naomi_blythe
Aspirant

high downloads with D6000

We got the D6000 modem/router and all went well for a few weeks. Then we started getting really high download rates (we normally use 1-2G per day, we were getting 20G even when we weren't there). At first we through we had been hacked, but after much investigating, it was discovered it was coming from the modem itself. Internode (our provider) recommended we use our old modem and just use the D6000 as a router. Everything went back to normal usage so it worked as a temp fix, but the whole idea of getting the D6000 is to have it all in one. I contacted NETGEAR to find out what could be causing the problem and after a bit of backwards and forwards, they said it was probably a faulty modem/router and it got replaced under warranty.

I set up the new D6000 on Friday. All good for a few days and then two days ago, 20G download. Yesterday we were up to 6G before I disconnected it all at lunch time. I have set up the old modem again, but I would really like it to know what is going on, because NETGEAR won't refund me my money and I got it through **bleep** SMith before it went bust, so I am stuck with it. I can only assume there is some bug in the firmware that makes it want to keep downloading data. There are no new upgrades available, so it is not trying to download that.

I know other people have had the same issue and I have seen it come up on the forum, but haven't seen any solution. Has anyone made progress???

Message 1 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: high downloads with D6000

Hello naomi_blythe

What Firmware version are you currently on? Have you tried to remove all devices to from the modem and see if your download usage still is going up? If not I would try to connect 1 device at a time and watch and see if the download rate keeps going up.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
naomi_blythe
Aspirant

We are on 1.0.0.49, but it has been happening since december on three or four different firmware versions (they keep telling me to upgrade the firmware version to see if it fixes it).

I have had all devices offl the network except for the voip phone and still clocked up 10G of downloads while we all slept. I talked to our internet provider, and they confirmed that the traffic wasn't voip phone related. I am certain that it is the actual modem, not any of our devices that are the problem because when I used our old modem and just used D6000 as a router, keeping all our devices on the network, the problem went away. When we got the new D6000 under warranty and used it as both a modem and router, the problem started again. Now that I have the old modem back on and the D6000 as just a router again, the problem has stopped again. So it is something with the D6000 modem component.

Message 3 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello naomi_blythe 

I have sent you a private message about this.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 10
notveryhappy
Aspirant

We have gone over our 100gb download limit for four months now - in about 14 days each month! Our internet was shaped down for the rest of the month.

We were away for four days last month with the pc off and no wifi devices nearby. We still downloaded 8gb of data during the middle two days.

For a little while now I have checked if other devices are logging into our router (ie. neighbours) - none were.

It appears that we are having the same problem as plenty of others on the net with the D6000 router.

Model: D6000|AC750 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 5 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello notveryhappy

What firmware version is the D6000 on? have you tried to upgrade to the latest firmware?

DarrenM

Message 6 of 10
hzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

We also have a Netgear D6000 in our office (bought from officeworks) and we experiencing this same starnge data usage wile no computer is connected to modem. we got a data log from our isp and it seems modem connecetd to many telecom companies websites/servers around the world (Modem data log). It connected to 3900 different servers in every minute. that resulted in 100GB data usage over few days.  we paid significant charges for extra data usage before realizing the modem is doing this crazy stuff. the latest firmware is installed, wifi is off and we can't do more.

Any suggestion form netgear is appreciated. 

Message 7 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello hzd

I would contact support so they can work with you about fixing this issue.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=gwmng

DarrenM

Message 8 of 10
Sylose
Aspirant

has this issue been resolved? cause i'm also experiencing this same issue 😞

Message 9 of 10
Paul61
Aspirant

We are aving massive problems with our D6000 not loading pages etc. Also have hit our 100 gig download three times since we have had this modem when we have never in the past. Seems like this modem is is just a piece of junk. I have never seen so many complaints on a companies website as I have here about this modem

Model: D6000|AC750 WiFi Modem Router - 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7