Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D2200D Ethernet ports stop working

S260
Guide

D2200D Ethernet ports stop working

Received a Netgear D2200D ADSL Modem from my service provider, Frontier, to address ADSL link failures. This new modem seems to have cured this issue but I now have a new issue that I never did have with the prior modem. Intermittently, and at completely random times, all communications through the Ethernet (all ports) stop. Wi-fi is turned off.

Get an error saying "Unable to connect to server at 192.168.254.254". I have two computers, a media player and a printer connected through the Ethernet ports and all are unresponsive when this error occurs. Simply turning off, and turning back on, the modem power switch corrects the problem - Ethernet for awhile.

Have contacted Frontier support several times but they really don't understand what is causing this issue. Several attempts to rectify the problem by changing various modem settings has not helped. Since this is a "new" modem, they feel it's not likely faulty - but it seems suspicious.

The one thing I noticed that is different on this modem is a designation on the E1 port. It has a additional designation as "uplink". No information is provided as to what this means or what significance it has. Is there perhaps devices that should, or should not, be connected to this E1/uplink port? What other conditions or circumstances would cause all the Ethernet ports to stop working all at the same time?

Software Version: VER_01.00.15
Transceiver Revision: A2pG039p.d26c
Model Name: D2200D-1FRNAS
Serial Number: 4B115CD5AEB3E
Broadband Connection Status: Connected
Broadband IP Address: XXX.XX.2.244
Broadband MAC Address: DC:EF:09:XX:XX:XX
Broadband Connection Type: PPPoE
Active Status: 0:19:04:15
Configuration: FCF-10227-01 A

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
S260
Guide

Re: D2200D Ethernet ports stop working

No failure(s) since my last post, so no further contact.  At my last contact the tech had me do a "factory" reset by pressing the hard reset button on the back of the modem and we went through the complete modem setup again.  It has only been a few days so it is too soon to know if the problem has disapeared.

Since I encountered failures so soon after installing the new modem I have little faith the factory reset procedure will correct the issue - but so far no additional failures.  Maybe, if I'm lucky, but not holding my breath.   Maybe there is a "break in" period.Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 18

All Replies
VE6CGX
Master

Are you using windows OS? Then try this command when the error occurs. 'ping localhost'  And let your ISP reflash the firmware for the router.

Message 2 of 18
S260
Guide

Two of my devices are Windows so I can try pinging localhost next time I encounter the failure.  But what should I expect?  I presume the result would be the same as it would be now while things are working well.  When the failure occurs the only thing I do is powercycle the modem, nothing to the connected devices, to restore service.

Did I mention my service provider is Frontier?   Can you imagine what would happen if I were to call into tech support and request the firmware be reflashed.  If they even understood what I was asking for, going off script to do that does not seem a very likely scenario.

Thanks for the feedback/advice.

Message 3 of 18
VE6CGX
Master

That command is self loop back test on your device NIC. You can run it on both of them then to be sure problem is not the deivce(s). When you call support you can ask for 2nd tier supprt tech or simply tell them router is gone crazy asking for firmware flash then...

Message 4 of 18
hyperthread27
Aspirant

I am having the exact same issue with the d2200d. (same firmware) Any luck with Frontier support?

Message 5 of 18
S260
Guide

No failure(s) since my last post, so no further contact.  At my last contact the tech had me do a "factory" reset by pressing the hard reset button on the back of the modem and we went through the complete modem setup again.  It has only been a few days so it is too soon to know if the problem has disapeared.

Since I encountered failures so soon after installing the new modem I have little faith the factory reset procedure will correct the issue - but so far no additional failures.  Maybe, if I'm lucky, but not holding my breath.   Maybe there is a "break in" period.Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 18
S260
Guide

Update June 24

Continued to have Ethernet port problems so Frontier replaced modem with another new D2200D (previous one may have been a refurb unit that just did not get bench tested thoroughly).  Just received and installed/setup today, so now it is wait and see again for awhile.  Hopefully this time it will work properly.

Message 7 of 18
S260
Guide

I am having the exact same issue with the d2200d. (same firmware)

Any luck with Frontier support?

Would have to say yes as Frontier has finally sent a new D2200D.   If you are experiencing these same issues you'll need to keep after them though.

Message 8 of 18
S260
Guide

Update 7-22-16

Second D2200D modem was in service for three weeks with no failures of any kind.  Things were looking good.  Since I don't use wireless except on rare ocations, I decide I would turn off the wireless.  In less than 12 hours, all the ethernet ports locked up - stopped communicating with the attached devices.

Did a power reset and re-enabled the wireless.  After more than three days now, no failures.

This leaves me with only one conclusion - The Netgear D2200D moden has a critical fault.  If the wireless is disabled, the modem stops functioning.  Happens on 2 out of 2 modems used.  That's 100% failure rate.  I got two bad modems?  Doesn't seem likely does it.

Anyone know how I can get this directly to Netgear?  As a carrier provided/supported product, Netgear provides no support for this product (looks like they didn't test it very thoroughly either).

Message 9 of 18
VE6CGX
Master

First you should let your ISP know about this behaviour. Wonder anyone else here is using D2200 to see if they have same problem.

Message 10 of 18
Firedogid
Aspirant

I have the same Frontier modem and have had 3 crash. 6 months on the first. 1 month on the second and less than 5 hours on the 3rd. All have wireless shut off. I went in and shut the wireless on the last one off and two hours later it locked up. The only lights I get are a green power and red/orange DSL. Can't get access to the modem on the computer to even try to turn wireless back on. When the new one gets here I won't turn the wireless off and will hope it keeps running.
Message 11 of 18
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Firedogid

Have you tried to factory reset the modem since it locked up on you?

DarrenM

Message 12 of 18
S260
Guide

If you would review all the threads on this topic you would see that I worked with my tech support extensively. This of course included several hard factory resets. Since nothing cured the Ethernet problem they finally sent me a second new D2200D modem.

I didn't turn off the wireless function right away, and experienced no problems, so I thought the problem was indeed a defective first modem.

Some time later I went in and disabled the wireless function on the new second modem. Ethernet ports locked up (failed to respond) shortly thereafter. I consequently re-enabled the wireless function and have not had a repeat incident since. For now, I just turn off the SSID broadcast.

No matter how much Netgear may deny the fact, there is a problem with D2200D modems.

Message 13 of 18
S260
Guide

This topic should not be classed as closed. Issue remains unresolved as can be attested to by subsequent posts.

Message 14 of 18
tmgazda
Aspirant

I am greatful for finding this post!  I have been battling this problem for over three weeks now.

Modem/Router is D2200D:

Software Version: VER_01.00.15
Transceiver Revision: A2pG039p.d26c
Model Name: D2200D-1FRNAS
Serial Number: 4B1161DXA75C8
Broadband Connection Status: Connected
Broadband IP Address: 173.86.15.70
Broadband MAC Address: DC:EF:09:4B:B3:FD
Broadband Connection Type: PPPoE
Active Status: 0:10:03:21
Configuration: FCF-10227-01 A

I am using a trendnet access point for my wireless connection so after repaceling a Netgear B90-755044-15 Rev,2 because of line drop problems.  The D2200D seemed to do the trick. So after setting up the port forwarding for my DVR and truning OFF the wireless (do to lack of range) several hours later the Eithernet ports STOPPED.  I could not access the router by any means wired desk top PC, Wireless laptop, mobile phone or security system PC also wired.

A modem reboot (power cycle) was done and everything came back up.  Again sevral hours later it crashed again.  Thinking this is a new modem I blamed the phone line again.  Also had this strange "loud Click on the line" like and old party line pick up?  Line tech did not find (or did not look) any problems.  This went back and forth for many days.  Then I found this post and turned the wireless back ON, port lockup ceased to be a problem but the line click was still there.

Finally yesterday the third line tech to work on the line found a mouse nest in one of the underground terminals!  Cleared the mess and damaged pair, replaced a missing grommet and the line is now quite good.  Three hours after the repair the Eithernet ports locked up again!!  After several attempts over a 8 hour period and reseting the modem 6 to 8 times.  I turned the wireless back on and no lockups since.   Even downloaded  over 4 GB of data for a job I am working on.  Line speed is 1.12 GB Down / .15KB up, 19,400 feet from the dslam, yes, quite painful but that is all they can provide.

Now that it appears to be back on line I will turn the wireless off again and wait.  This problem is not solved until Frontier comes up with a fix!  Removal of the mouse nest cured the line clicks.

Message 15 of 18
Robert7980
Aspirant

Indeed, I can confirm that this issue still persists to this day with current modems running VER_01.00.24 firmware. Took me quite a lot of troubleshooting to figure this out. Should have started by reading the forums, would have saved me the effort of reinventing the wheel. It's mind boggling this basic functionality flaw even exists, yet alone persists with no resolution. Insane! 

Message 16 of 18
Robert7980
Aspirant

My problem started with other issues, wifi drops and intermittent DSL, so I thought sure just add an AP and disable the wireless that'll cut the CPU load down on the modem and make everything more reliable... NOPE! Having other issues to begin with made this a real pain to troubleshoot since it seems like a solid solution. Frontier is just garbage period, being the rual monopoly ISP they can afford such utter incompetence and not pay a price since most have literally no alternative.

Message 17 of 18
HypnoPro
Aspirant

I love my farmhouse with all it's faults but for one thing.. the only land based internet service I can get is Frontier. 

For 3 years I have suffered with the netgear modoms.. the latest being the D2200d. I have a box full of them now. The failure rate on these things is 100%, They all suffer from random reboots, locking out ethernet access... loss of internet (also a problem with Frontier's horrible DSL service). While they do offer the r7500 modem you'd have to buy it which I refuse to do. 

Here's my solution. As soon as the modem exhibits a problem, I call tech support and demand a new one. If you call them when the modem is down, they'll mail it to you if you want. Otherwise they'll demand to send a tech. With the que and all the BS they put you through, this takes about an hour so do it when you have other things you can be doing while on hold. Perhaps if we spend enough of their money and tech time on constantly replacing these D2200d's they'll get the message.  My current one was installed Monday and I have the tech (great guy) coming Friday to drop off another one. 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7