Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN2000 Not Working With AT&T?

josephezell
Aspirant

DGN2000 Not Working With AT&T?

I have searched the message board and can not find an answer. I am using a Westell 6100 and it accesses the Internet correctly. When I try using my Netgear DGN2000 I do not get a DSL lock.

Are there any special modem/router settings to get a DGN2000 to work with AT&T DSL service?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Message 1 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: DGN2000 Not Working With AT&T?

call netgear support or call ATT support for correct DSL info to setup on your router
Message 2 of 13
josephezell
Aspirant

I'll try contacting Netgear.

AT&T will not discuss ANY modem that isn't supported by them. As of right now, that includes the 2wire, the old Motorola Netopia and the Westell 6100.

Installer states "That will not work with AT&T DSL service." That's even though I read all the time where people are using the DGN2000 with AT&T.

Once I get the results I will post back.

Thanks
Message 3 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

netgear may have vital DSL setup info you need to or may find in thread somewhere.. 🙂
Message 4 of 13
vinnie
Tutor

You'll need to find out the VPI/VCI info that your pone company uses and determine the ADSL connection type (login, IPoA routing, etc. from AT&T. The auto-setup feature might also be able to help determine this information for you.
Message 5 of 13
dino248
Aspirant

Did you ever get the Netgear working with AT&T?
Message 6 of 13
fritzruhland
Aspirant

did you get this working ? I'm trying to replace my older Netgear/Wirespeed Modem combo which works but the DGN2000 doesn't detect the DSL line.
Message 7 of 13
dino248
Aspirant

Never got it working. Gave up. Didn't find anything that helped.:eek:
Message 8 of 13
fritzruhland
Aspirant

thanks ... did you just return it then saying it didn't work with a Major DSL Internet Service Provider ?
Message 9 of 13
prodigy06
Aspirant

It is proven to be working with AT&T. As long as you have your PPPoE login & password (which is given by AT&T). And, you can also try these additional settings under 'ADSL Settings'.

Multiplexing Method: LLC-based
VPI: 0
VCI: 35

Take note that you should have a 'SOLID green' DSL light before you start configuring the device.
Message 10 of 13
fritzruhland
Aspirant

That is the problem. I don't have a solid green light. However, the Westell works fine. They both use pins 2 & 3 so it isn't the connection.
Message 11 of 13
1stPlace
Aspirant

prodigy06 wrote:
It is proven to be working with AT&T. As long as you have your PPPoE login & password (which is given by AT&T). And, you can also try these additional settings under 'ADSL Settings'.

Take note that you should have a 'SOLID green' DSL light before you start configuring the device.

I agree with the need to change the VPI setting from the default of "8" to "0". That helps to make the DGN2000 connect to the DSL line. 35 is already the default for VCI in the USA.
I must say, this DGN2000 router/modem seems to be a bit touchy, because once you reboot it or power it off, it usually takes quite a while to get the green DSL light again. In fact, this is why I quit using it about 5 years ago when I first bought it. But my ATT 2Wire modem just died and I needed another modem to get back online, so I figured that I would try the older DGN2000 router once again on my ATT DSL network.
The part that I disagree with above is the last line, that says "you should have a SOLID green DSL light before you start", because on my modem, I can't even get a sold green DSL light, until I change the VCI to 0. Mine won't even connect otherwise to the DSL signal.
The other major pitfall that people are likely to make is that with ATT, you need to enter your complete email address, not just the first part. Also, the password that you need to use to connect to the Internet is NOT the same as your ATT email password! There is another PIN code that you need to get from ATT, to enter into the password field of the Network Settings page. This PIN can also be retrieved by logging into your ATT account from another working Internet connection with your ATT email and email password. This really was a bit convoluted, and that's why I took the time to post a comment here after spending a whole day figuring it out.
Message 12 of 13
1stPlace
Aspirant

prodigy06 wrote:

prodigy06 wrote:

I agree with the need to change the VPI setting from the default of "8" to "0". That helps to make the DGN2000 connect to the DSL line. 35 is already the default for VCI in the USA.
I must say, this DGN2000 router/modem seems to be a bit touchy, because once you reboot it or power it off, it usually takes quite a while to get the green DSL light again. In fact, this is why I quit using it about 5 years ago when I first bought it. But my ATT 2Wire modem just died and I needed another modem to get back online, so I figured that I would try the older DGN2000 router once again on my ATT DSL network.
The part that I disagree with above is the last line, that says "you should have a SOLID green DSL light before you start", because on my modem, I can't even get a sold green DSL light, until I change the VCI to 0. Mine won't even connect otherwise to the DSL signal.
The other major pitfall that people are likely to make is that with ATT, you need to enter your complete email address, not just the first part. Also, the password that you need to use to connect to the Internet is NOT the same as your ATT email password! There is another PIN code that you need to get from ATT, to enter into the password field of the Network Settings page. This PIN can also be retrieved by logging into your ATT account from another working Internet connection with your ATT email and email password. This really was a bit convoluted, and that's why I took the time to post a comment here after spending a whole day figuring it out.
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7