Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DGN2200 Bridge Mode

Spynx
Aspirant

DGN2200 Bridge Mode

I just bought my DGN200 Router, works very good. Can somebody please tell me how to set it up in bridge mode (RFC 1483 Bridged)?

Does this router support PPPoe passthrough?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 13
SkylerNicole
Tutor

Re: DGN2200 Bridge Mode

This setup works with DGN2000, never tried it with DGN2200. You can test it though:

1. Access the web-user interface of the modem by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address field.
2. When prompted, enter “admin” for the username and “password” for the password (if you haven't changed yet the password for the interface).
3. Once logged in change the address URL in the address bar from:
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=start.htm
to:
http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm
4. This opens a hidden configuration page on router. Select 'Modem (Modem only)' and click Apply. This will convert the router into a simple ADSL mode. Router (Modem + Router) sets the device to modem-router mode.
5. After setting up the modem to Bridge mode, Basic Settings option is gone under Setup tab. You could still configure the ADSL settings though.
6. You can now connect the DGN2200 to your router or computer and setup for a PPPoE connection.
Message 2 of 13
Spynx
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but when I do that, I get:

404 Not Found

The resource you have requested is not available.
Message 3 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

that means you will not able to mdem mode

not all model can setup as modem mode
Message 4 of 13
Spynx
Aspirant

So I could have bought a cheaper brand modem for half the price of this one that can do more?
Message 5 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

personally just use ISP provided standard DSL modem in bridge mode and get regular wireless router would be more suitable when you change ISP , you can still use wirelesss router where built-in DSL modem limits only to ISP with DSL
Message 6 of 13
Spynx
Aspirant

In the manual it states the following:

Network protocol and
standards compatibility:

TCP/IP, RIP-1, RIP-2, DHCP, PPPoE or PPPoA, RFC 1483 Bridged or
Routed Ethernet, and RFC 1577 Classical IP over ATM

How do I select the protocols?
Message 7 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I would check into telnet and see if you can do something
Message 8 of 13
methuselah_
Aspirant

Found anything yet June? 🙂
Message 9 of 13
clamps
Aspirant

If anyone is still looking for a solution to this, I succeeded in getting my DGN2200 into bridged mode. The device seems perfectly capable of it, but they didn't put an option in the web interface, which I find unacceptable. I'm bridging my ADSL connection to a linksys access point which has much more stable wireless-N and has the ability to run dd-wrt.

The procedure I used is as follows. Yours may differ if you have another way to access telnet.

1. First, enable telnet by whatever means works for you. I used modfs to enable the telnet service, but any technique should work.
1. Disable the wireless transmitter.
2. Disable both DHCP server and DHCP client (I did the latter by simply assigning a bogus static IP address to the WAN port).
3. telnet into the DGN2200 and clear the IP address from the atm0 interface:
$ ip address flush atm0
4. Add the atm0 interface to the default bridge device (the one that would normally bridge wireless and wired ports):
$ brctl addif br0 atm0
5. Make sure whatever other router you are using is connected via its WAN port to a port on the DGN2200
6. On your other router, make sure the MAC address matches what your ISP expects (unless you're using PPPoE, which I don't know anything about, so you're on your own there).
7. This caught me the first time: make sure you aren't also still using this same MAC address on the DGN2200. You can just reset it to default or whatever.
8. Release/renew the DHCP lease on your router until you get a public IP.

I'm posting with this setup right now, and it's working fine so far. HOWEVER, the one major downside is that you have to perform the "brctl addif br0 atm0" command every time your DGN2200 boots up. You could build a custom firmware or modify modfs if you're feeling really adventurous. I just use a script on my linux box that connects to the DGN2200 and runs the command automatically.

So, there you have it - it IS possible, it's just not nearly as easy as it should be.
Message 10 of 13
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

go to support.netgear.com and search open source

if you are good at compiling , you can make your own firmware ..:)
Message 11 of 13
ice_r10
Aspirant

The device does have a Bridge mode function, but the issue is that the LAN still retains it IP Address.

This conflicts with the Router WAN Port when using the device(DGN2200v4) as modem.

Any suggestion on how to rectify this problem?

Thank you.

Message 12 of 13
bhavana
Aspirant

It's 2015, the firmware version is V1.0.0.64_1.0.64

It is no "hidden" configuration page (any more?) - it is right there in the advanced configuration menu.

tab 'Advanced' -> left-side menu 'Advanced Setup' -> menu point 'Device Mode' -> Device Mode 'Modem (Modem only)'

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7