Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 login page doesn't load

Rhianydd
Aspirant

N300 login page doesn't load

Bought an N300 model DGN2200 (some months ago now) to replace previous one, which had worked fine for several years for us.  I thought I was buying an exact replacement but on opening the box it was clear some changes had been made - the old one had wireless antennae, the new model has none.  Could not get the new one to work - it powered up fine and automatically took us to a browser page http://192.168.0.1/genie_index.htm, which doesn't load (error message 'This site can't be reached' in Chrome, page also didn't load in IE).  Tried all the troubleshooting instructions we could find, eventually gave up and took it back to the store, exchanged it for an identical one in case it was a problem with the specific router.  Just got around to trying the new one, and we're getting exactly the same problem.  We've tried connecting it via a Windows 10 laptop, and via a Windows 7 desktop, same problem on both.  In case it was an issue with connecting via wireless, we tried hard-wiring it to the desktop, same problem.  We've tried typing the IP address directly into the browser address bar, we've tried going to routerlogin.net (same result).  My son is already using a dynamic IP on the desktop, so that's not the problem.

The error message on Firefox gives 'The connection was reset', Chrome gives 'Err_connection_reset' on the desktop.  My son says he can successfully ping the router by its gateway IP.  We haven't tried to download or install any Genie software on the computers, I was assuming we don't need to since there is nothing on the instructions telling us to.

Can anyone suggest a fix or do I need to return it and get my money back and figure out another router to buy that will actually work?

Message 1 of 6
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: N300 login page doesn't load

The gateway IP your son could ping is the same IP you should be attempting to use in the browser to log in, correct? I don't know if that particular device is 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. You should just try

http://192.168.n.1

where n is the number in that position used by your son to ping the device. It shouldn't need the genie_index.htm after the IP.

Message 2 of 6
Rhianydd
Aspirant

Correct, we tried the same IP address as he pinged in the browser address bar, and it did not work.

Message 3 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Rhianydd

Have you tried to factory reset the modem yet?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 6
Rhianydd
Aspirant

Yes we tried factory reset with the first one from the shop, and nothing changed.  Not really surprising, since it was still in its original packaging so clearly it had not been tried out or modified between the factory and us.

Message 5 of 6
Rhianydd
Aspirant

Well it's been a long time and nobody's suggested anything that we hadn't tried already.  I'm very disappointed Netgear doesn't offer more support for their product and particularly since we don't have anything unusual about our computers or setup here, so the router should just plug in and run, and it doesn't.  I was very happy with the previous routers we had from them but this one has been a nightmare.  Guess I'll be taking it back to the shop in the next few days when I find time, and if they find me a solution as opposed to giving me my money back, I'll post the solution here for the benefit of others.  If they don't, I'll be avoiding Netgear like the plague in future.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7