Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 using ADSL1 ADSL Max connection....

Moreinfo
Aspirant

Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 using ADSL1 ADSL Max connection....

Hi,
Anyone had any experience using the Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 modem router with a ADSL1 or ADSL Max connection (Max 8 Mbps). I have read a lot of negative posts dating back to 2011-12 but nothing recent. I am looking for a reliable (no connection drop outs or random drop outs - having to reboot sometimes) modem router that will also be future-proof if I decide to upgrade to FIBRE. My ISP is EE and I am in the UK.
Or is the Netgear DGN2200 a better choice?
Many Thanks
James

Message 1 of 4

Re: Netgear N600 DGND3700v2 using ADSL1 ADSL Max connection....

Will either of those modems do fibre/VDSL as well as ADSL?

The D6400 is one of the newer Netgear modems that does both. (I have had one since its launch.) It has been through a rocky introductory phase, with firmware that broke several BT connections, but seems to be solid now.

The only time I have to do anything with it is when BT throws a wobbly.

It has good wifi coverage with up to 1300Mbps wireless speeds.

Message 2 of 4
Moreinfo
Aspirant

Thanks for posting Michael.

From what I understand the DGND3700 can be used together with a FIBRE modem connected through it's WAN port. (I am a bit of a newbie!).

The D6400 looks to be a quality router but is a little out my price range at the moment considering I am in no hurry to upgrade to FIBRE. The DGND3700v2 is on sale at the moment for £39.99.

I am just a little concerned reading posts regarding it's reliability esp. the DGND3700v1. and/or the DGN2200.

Thanks

James

Message 3 of 4

@Moreinfo wrote:

From what I understand the DGND3700 can be used together with a FIBRE modem connected through it's WAN port. (I am a bit of a newbie!).

That's true. And as most ISPs love to "give" you a modem, it is simply a case of plugging that into what you have now.

When you said you wanted something "future proof" it wasn't clear to me if you were expecting anything you bought now to work with fibre.

Looking at the two models you suggested, the DGN2200 is seriously old, the DGND3700 is newer and has gigabyte LAN as well as the WAN. That will give you faster connections with anything you "hard wire" into it, including the modem.

Remember, the tales of woe you see out there in Googleland are from the, with luck, tiny minority of people who had problems. If your modem works perfectly from day one, why would you go out there and loo for, or wrote, messages about it?

Buy what your budget will stand. I doubt if it will make much difference for run-of-the-mill activity.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7