Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk D8500 outdated firmware

Lone_Rider
Aspirant

Nighthawk D8500 outdated firmware

Hello,

I was recently checking if there are any new updated for my D8500 router and found none. Last update is from 2020-12-24. Then I checked the R8500 version (without xDSL modem), and to my surprise I saw an update released in March this year!

Should I consider the D8500 as an abounded product and start looking at other options (not necessarily from Netgear)?

Thank you for any updates on upcoming new firmware releases (if any)!

Screenshot 2022-05-01 180835.pngScreenshot 2022-05-01 180619.png

Message 1 of 4

Re: Nighthawk D8500 outdated firmware

Routers are always updated before modem/routers.

DSL modem/routers do get updates. For example, the D6400 was updated last November.

Some modem routers never get updated. That's because cable modem/routers are controlled by the ISPs who don't want anyone else near devices on their networks.

@Lone_Rider wrote:

Should I consider the D8500 as an abounded product and start looking at other options (not necessarily from Netgear)?

I guess it depends on your approach to security. Most firmware updates are for theoretical threats that are never seen in the real world. If you know of an issue with your device that needs fixing, then you could chase Netgear.

As to finding an alternative supplier, good luck.

Experienced users go for separate modems and routers, partly because they get regular updates and a much bigger choice of routers. Good luck finding a DSL modem/router that handles Mesh networks.

The bad news is that Netgear, and most brands it seems, seem to have abandoned the market for DSL modem only devices. ISPs are leaning on them in the way that they have for cable modems.

There aren't even many modem/routers left out there. People often have to put up with the junk that ISPs dump on their customers.

If you can lay your hands on something like the Netgear DM200, that would be a good choice. The prices are getting silly. But you may be able to lay hands on a second hand one. I bought one from one of those "open box" merchants. In reality it looked new, with all the usual packing and protection.

Message 2 of 4
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Some of the ISP (xDSL) provided modem/routers can be set to transparent bridge mode which then expects the PPPoE functions to be set with the router - like specifying ISP username/password.

Message 3 of 4
Lone_Rider
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

I'm very aware that ISP issued hardware doesn't offer best support, which is why I bought this modem/router. It makes sense to update a router before a modem/router, however a gap of over a year between model got me curious, especially that xDLS routers are not that common.  

Recently I learned that our ISP would install fiber in my neighborhood, so I'll probably move to a different hardware (not from ISP).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7