Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Vizio TV connection

petestan
Aspirant

Vizio TV connection

Hi - I am a newbie (and relatively unschooled at tech matters). I have a DGND 3700 router / modem combination.. I recently bought a Vizio 55" Smart TV Model #E5550I B2... I can connect to certain apps on the TV (eg. NetFlicks) but other apps will not load (eg Yahoo weather or Yahoo finance). In speaking with Vizio Tech Support, they suggested that the router was blocked at ports 80 and 443 .. To open these ports, they suggested that I "port forward" ports #80 and 443 ... before I pay $ for tech support help, is this something I can do via "net genie" or otherwise ? Any detailed / step by step help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Message 1 of 8
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Vizio TV connection

You will need to log into the router. For this to work consistently you should "reserve" a IP for your TV, this can be done in the "LAN Setup" item in the "Advanced" section in the left menu. Once you have reserved the IP for your TV you can then go to the "Content Filtering" section and select the "Port Forwarding/Port Filtering" item. From there you can forward the ports to the IP you reserved for the TV.

If you have UPnP enabled in the router (this is the default) you should not have to do this since the TV open the ports it needs automatically when it needs to.
Message 2 of 8
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Another thought on this... If you can use a web browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox) on a PC connected to the same router to access both HTTP and HTTPS servers (like Yahoo Finance or logging into your bank) on servers outside your local network I'd say you don't have any problem with the router and port 80 or 443.
Message 3 of 8
Fairytail
Virtuoso

By default Port 80 is already opened. If you have smart phones where you can install Yahoo weather or finance or other apps which did not work on your smart TV to isolate the problem if its really the modem that is causing it. If those application works on your smart phones then probably its the smart TV issue.
Message 4 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Outbound is open so It should be fine.

I would also make sure uPnP is enabled.
Message 5 of 8
petestan
Aspirant

All - many thanks for your advice .. turns out that the firmware in my router was several editions out of date (which I had not noticed when I posted my thread) .. so once I updated to the most recent edition and re-booted, my Vizio TV was able to pickup the signal from the router -- simple fix and for that I am grateful ... ... will test my TV more this weekend but the signal issue appears to be resolved.
Message 6 of 8
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Thanks for the updates.... enjoy
Message 7 of 8
Fairytail
Virtuoso

I'm glad your issue is resolved. Thanks for the update.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7