Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

nighthawk why

stu3791
Aspirant

nighthawk why

What is the poit of be just splashing out on this router when i can't get it to work unless i plug it into my bt hub .

surly this means its only as good as the bt hub 

why wont it plug stright in 

and  just to point out im not even a bt customer i just left the hub on when i switched internet companies so any hub should /does work as i now pay 1pmobile as my provideri have an onld sky that works to so why not the nighthawk

so what the point of me paying £350 its like buying a ferrari and puting it in the back of a lorry i have to drive about in

also i am quite open to then possibility i have not set it up right and it is possible to be my master router

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: nighthawk why

@stu3791 wrote:

What is the poit of be just splashing out on this router when i can't get it to work unless i plug it into my bt hub .

There have been many BT Hubs. (I have a few lying around still in their shrink wrap.) Which one do you own?

They invariably operate as modem/routers. (Look at the row of LAN ports on the back.) This means that you are trying to add a router to the router.

so what the point of me paying £350 its like buying a ferrari and puting it in the back of a lorry i have to drive about in

It doesn't matter which brand of router you buy or how much you spend, trying to put one router after another is a recipe for chaos.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the ISP's modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router. But some Internet service providers, such as BT, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and  just to point out im not even a bt customer i just left the hub on when i switched internet companies so any hub should /does work as i now pay 1pmobile as my provideri have an onld sky that works to so why not the nighthawk

The ISP is usually irrelevant in the UK. It all works on the BT Openreach network. But we don't know anything about how the Internet gets to you. DSL? Cable? Fibre? Mobile? Bits of string? So we don't know what your BT hub is doing and if an alternative would work. (DSL modems are almost impossible to buy in the UK these days.)

You don't say what problems you have with your new router, so it is impossible to provide any more advice.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7