Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router/ Orbi App

KenFi
Guide

Orbi Router/ Orbi App

My actual model # is RBR40, it was not available in the dropdown menu.

Can someone explain when I go on the Orbi app on my phone it indicates Internet: Offline and has a purple dot

However, I still have internet connectivity through the Orbi router??

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Solid magenta. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta, it is unable to obtain an IP address from your router or unable to your router.

That verizon box sure is a pain. 

You can try putting the orbi back in router mode. then see if the verizon router has a dmz so place the orbi ip address in. 

There's also troubleshooting and setup here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem are you connected to?

You see that a lot when people are in a double nat. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 2 of 12
KenFi
Guide

The Orbi Tower is connected directly to the Verizon router.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

putting you in that doulbe nat? 

the 2 easiest options? 

1. put the verizon router in passthrough/modem only mode. it disables its routing function and acts as only a modem.

2. or put the netgear in access put mode. It disables its routing fuctions. you can still use wifi and ethernet but routing functions will run off the verizon router. 

Message 4 of 12
KenFi
Guide

I would like to implement your second recommendation:

• put the netgear in access put mode. It disables its routing fuctions. you can still use wifi and ethernet but routing functions will run off the verizon router.

Would you be able to step me through the process to make those changes?

Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 12
KenFi
Guide

So my only hesitation now is that I find the Orbi wireless to be unreliable because it inadvertently disconnects throughout the day. Candidly I have been trying to troubleshoot why for a few weeks now. Because of the unreliability we have been using the Verizon wireless as our main connectivity.

My concern is if I disable the Verizon wireless and rely totally on the Orbi wireless it is going to make matters worse.

I look forward to your thoughts/ comments.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

You can leave the wifi on the verizon box on. Just make sure the wireless channels are on a different channel than the orbi is all. 

Message 8 of 12
KenFi
Guide

So.....I have made the changes you recommended. The good news is that the tower on the app now is green.

However, my new problem is that my 2 sattelites start off green, and then after time turn purple. If I reboot, they turn green again but eventually turm purple again.

The worst part is that I have moved one of the satelites into the same room as the Tower yet it eventually turns purple, so it is not that the satelite is too far from the tower!.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Message 9 of 12
KenFi
Guide

BTW-The other good news is that the tower consistenly stays green, even though the satelites turn purple

Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

Solid magenta. If your Orbi satellite ring is solid magenta, it is unable to obtain an IP address from your router or unable to your router.

That verizon box sure is a pain. 

You can try putting the orbi back in router mode. then see if the verizon router has a dmz so place the orbi ip address in. 

There's also troubleshooting and setup here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

Message 11 of 12
KenFi
Guide

Thanks for all your help!!

Shutting down the Verizon Wireless Signal did the trick. Worked all weekend and never lost the signal to the satlights

Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7