× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding additional adapters to PLW1010

ChrisJGreen08
Follower

Adding additional adapters to PLW1010

I purchased the PowerLINE 1000 + WiFi Essentials Edition (PLW1010) and absolutely love it! I would like to add an additional hard-line connection with a PowerLINE adapter that will connect to this and I'm not quite sure which one to get? I don't need an additional adapter that has WiFi like the adapter that came with my setup. 

Can someone help me out? 

Model: PLW1010|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 1 of 4

Re: Adding additional adapters to PLW1010

Most recent Powerline devices follow the AV standard, which means that you can mix different makes and different generations. The only issue if that if you add "1000" plugs to a network with "500" plugs they will talk to each other at the speed of the slowest plugs on the network.

Remember, you need only one "source" plug connected to the router.

One other thing to consider, in theory you can mix brands but it isn't always easy to get set them up.

Most makers, including Netgear, sell plugs in pairs, or more. But you never know when an extra plug will come in useful.

Just go for something without the wifi access point bundled.

Message 2 of 4
AtlantaUnitedFa
Aspirant

I have just spent an hour on the phone with technical support to no avail so have come here.

I have an existing PL1200 pair which has worked very well.  The PL1200 adapter is plugged into my primary router.

Today I purchased a PLW1000 "kit" having both the adapter and the Wi-Fi access point.

My goal is to add the PLW1000 Wi-Fi access point to the existing PL1200 adapter to extend the reach of my current network (and SSID) to the other side of my house to solve intermittent connectivity issues..

According to technical support, this is not possible.  I'm not convinced this is true which is why I write this.

If I plug the PLW1000 Wi-Fi access point, it appears on my network map and I can ping it.

However, I'm not seeing improvement in the connectivity of the Wi-Fi devices on the other side of the house, which are now within feet of the PLW1000 Wi-Fi access point.

Should this work?

Do I need to change the SSID of the PLW1200 Wi-Fi access point to be the same as my existing network?

I'd really like for everything to be on on continuous network as I assign DHCP addresses to all devices on my network.  Maybe not necessary now but I used to have problems with sleepy devices who would have an address assigned, go to sleep and then when active again wouldn't connect to the network because another device had connected using the same IP address.

Your help will definitely be appreciated!

Regards,

Jason.

Model: PL1200|Powerline 1200 Adapter, PLW1000|PowerLINE 1000 Wireless adapter
Message 3 of 4

I'm a confused about what is going on here. I don't understand this bit:

@AtlantaUnitedFa wrote:

My goal is to add the PLW1000 Wi-Fi access point to the existing PL1200 adapter to extend the reach of my current network (and SSID) to the other side of my house to solve intermittent connectivity issues..

Extend the wifi, yes. But extend the SSID, probably a bad idea, for reasons that you may have discovered.

Two wifi sources on the same router with the same SSID can confuse the heck out of your wifi clients. Why do you want it?

With the same SSID, your wifi clients get confused and don't know which source to use.

With different SSIDs, they can see that they are supposed to use a different wifi source and will connect accordingly. And they won't be any slower, or faster,  with the switchover.

Any capable wifi client will see that there is a new SSID and will switch to it. Even if they have the same SSID, you still want it to change between the wifi sources. You are just making it harder.

Same SSID and password can work. Netgear, and other brands, have special technology for that., It is called Mesh. (Look at Orbi devices.) It depends on the different wifi sources working together and intelligently handing over traffic.

A Powerline plug isn't intelligent. It can't talk to other wifi sources on your network, just the clients.

Then again, your description of what you see is not clear.

How does these bits tie up?

@AtlantaUnitedFa wrote:

@AtlantaUnitedFa wrote:

Do I need to change the SSID of the PLW1200 Wi-Fi access point to be the same as my existing network?

How are they set up now?

Then this bit:

@AtlantaUnitedFa wrote:

I'd really like for everything to be on on continuous network as I assign DHCP addresses to all devices on my network. 

Assign DHCP addresses? Do you mean IP addresses? (If so, out of interest, why?)

Whatever you mean, the router handles addressing on your network. The Powerline plug gives you no control over that. It relies on the router to handle whatever addresses you mean.

By the way, does your question have anything to do with the original message from @ChrisJGreen08?

If not, it is a bad idea to hijack a discussion about something completely different. It is against the rules.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7