× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC1200 Smart Wifi Router - Firmware Update

jtavana1
Tutor

AC1200 Smart Wifi Router - Firmware Update

Hi,

Hoping I can have my issues solved here!  I've downloaded Nighthawk and was told my Firmware is out of date.  I am unable to open routerlogin.net since I do not know the admin / password info (admin, password did not work).  I don't recall ever changing it either. 

Also, I am unable to register my product that I purchased years ago because I do not remember the date of purchase, and the serial number is 12 digits as opposed to 13 or 16 characters long. I can provide the info found on the bottom of my router if needed.

Any help will be appreciated.  

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
jtavana1
Tutor

Re: AC1200 Smart Wifi Router - Firmware Update

I rebooted the modem and it is fixed.  Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

@jtavana1 wrote:

Hi,

Hoping I can have my issues solved here!  I've downloaded Nighthawk and was told my Firmware is out of date.  I am unable to open routerlogin.net since I do not know the admin / password info (admin, password did not work).  I don't recall ever changing it either. ----If you don't know your login, dont' know the password recovery questions, or if you didn't setup the password recovery options, then to get back in you'd need to factory reset it to get back to stock settings. The factory login info is: 

login: admin

password: password

so you could factory reset (push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on), update it, and then reinstall it. 

Also, I am unable to register my product that I purchased years ago because I do not remember the date of purchase, and the serial number is 12 digits as opposed to 13 or 16 characters long. I can provide the info found on the bottom of my router if needed.---Not much point of registering. The main reason to register it is to get support. And if you're outside of the 90 day free support window (which you are if you bought it years ago) then it'll cost more for support than the router is worth. 

Any help will be appreciated.  

here's the manual, install guide, and firmware. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6220

Message 2 of 12

@jtavana1 wrote:

I've downloaded Nighthawk and was told my Firmware is out of date.  I am unable to open routerlogin.net since I do not know the admin / password info (admin, password did not work).  I don't recall ever changing it either. 

What tells you that the firmware is out of date?

It may not be the most reliable indicator.

Message 3 of 12
jtavana1
Tutor

The Nighthawk app did.  Where else could I look?  I've never had to do this in owning this device for more than 5 years.  

My internet speed is 3.22 down and 35.32 Up.  I'm not sure why it's been so slow lately, any my provider says there are no outages in the area.  

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

here's where you can find the current firmware version.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6220

You can find what version you're on by logging into the router and checking on the status page. 

what speeds do you pay for? 

What modem are you connected to? 

Message 5 of 12
jtavana1
Tutor

Thanks so much for the additional comment. I do have the most recent firmware. 

I pay for 100 up / 100 down through Optimum.  I rebooted the router yesterday since I forgot to after the update, and then it was 105 down, 34 up (GREAT!), and that is when there were (6) devices attached to the network.

As of this morning, I only have (3) devices on it and I'm back down to 3 down and 34 up.  I restarted it to see if it would help and it did not.  I'm reaching out to my provider now, but not sure what else I can do.  

Message 6 of 12

@jtavana1 wrote:

I'm reaching out to my provider now, but not sure what else I can do.  

Be prepared for them to blame the router.

On which, I see no sign here of what the modem is, if there is one, in front of this R6220.

Make and model?

This bit is supicious.

@jtavana1 wrote:

As of this morning, I only have (3) devices on it and I'm back down to 3 down and 34 up.  I restarted it to see if it would help and it did not. 

Message 7 of 12
jtavana1
Tutor

My fault, it is a Netgear Cable Modem CM400.  

Message 8 of 12

@jtavana1 wrote:

My fault, it is a Netgear Cable Modem CM400.  

OK. That rules out one possible source of problems. Not a modem/router.

Message 9 of 12
jtavana1
Tutor

Being told I need to reboot the modem now, so we'll give that a try!

Message 10 of 12

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

Message 11 of 12
jtavana1
Tutor

I rebooted the modem and it is fixed.  Thanks everyone!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7