Highlighted
Aspirant

AC1600 R6260 stuck at obtaining ip proble.

I have around 10 devices few mobiles, 2 laptop, 1 smart tv assigned fixed ip through dhcp address reservation. And a 1tb drive attached using readyshare. Everything working fine until yesterday. Every devices stuck at obtaining ip address stage while connecting to wifi. Did factory reset and connected laptop to default wifi. But unable to ping default router ip. Few hours later reset again and did the same. This time pinging work. Configured again with only few address reserved. Also noticed this time readyshare unable to detect external drive. Anyway it worked but only for half an hour. Obtaining ip issue came back again. Today have reset again and reconfigured except any address reservation. Currently it look like homehow in stable condition. Where could lies the problem potentially? I suspect faulty device. I there anything I can do for troubleshooting if it's not device malfunctioning.
Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: AC1600 R6260 stuck at obtaining ip proble.

it could be a faulty device. It could be faulty firmware. 

Factory resetting only clears out the settings. If something is wrong/bad in the firmware, a reset won't fix it. 

Try actually reinstalling the firmware to the router, then factory reset and reinstall.That'll overwrite the firmware. Also, don't install from a backup in case a backup setting is whats causing the issue. 

CAX80-> RBK53-> GS716v2-> TP-Link M9Plus
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

The firmware already updated to latest version. Should I update it again?
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

You manually update it. Look in the manual and follow that process. Dont' use the automatic update because it won't find anything. 

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Perhaps last time I auto updated. The version showing 1.1.0.66 But in official site latest firmware version listed is 1.1.0. 64 I'm kind of baffled here. Should I go ahead and re update 1.1.0.64? Is firmware downgrade allowed or it might brick the device?
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

You can downgrade. Its worth a shot. maybe the update is why its having issues. 

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Downgraded the firmware, observed it for 2 days without any dhcp reservation. It worked. But as soon as made reservation same issue arised. Strange thing is I reserved 1.2 for laptop wlan where 1.1 is router ip. But ip config show assigned ip is 1.5. Also able to ping router ip 1.1 but unable to access router gui. And readyshare no longer able to detect the usb drive.
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Don't reserve one for the router. Its ip address is already set. by "reserving" its ip thats already set, it could be whats causing the issues. 

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

No. Didn't reserved for router. I think even if I try to, system won't allow it. It's just 3months old. Already regretting opting for netgear.
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

So don't use IP reservations. Factory reset, start over and just leave that disabled

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I needed address reservation as i run some development server on my laptop where configuration needed a fix ip. And particularly bought this to have that usb network storage to make it a repository as well as media server purpose. Unfortunately it has become complete mess.
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

If you just bought it a couple months ago, it should still be within warranty. 

Click "mynetgear" at the top, register an account and the device. From there you should be able to check your support status

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements