Reply

Can't connect more than 54Mbs

albgen
Aspirant

Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Hello,

i have updated the driver of my Intel 5100 AGN to the lates version which is 14.3.1.1!
But i'm still connected like 54Mbs.
Here it is my configuration http://i.imgur.com/qDxgr.png

Any idea why?
Is this another bug?(hope not)

Thank you
Message 1 of 22
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Two things, remove that pic ASAP as it has your email address in it. At the same time change your SSID to something else too.

2nd, check the settings for the WiFi card in the system properties. The answer will be in there.
Message 2 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

hello Smiley Happy

Scubbie wrote:
Two things, remove that pic ASAP as it has your email address in it. At the same time change your SSID to something else too.


That's not a problem for me...


Scubbie wrote:

2nd, check the settings for the WiFi card in the system properties. The answer will be in there.


i have check them but it seems ok
http://i.imgur.com/P0hja.png
Message 3 of 22
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Assuming you are using the .17 firmware, it's broken. It connects "AES" as TKIP and for some reason will not run faster than 54 mbps. Contact Netgear support and tell them your problem and tell them you understand this is fixed in the 1.0.0.19_test4 firmware and you want that firmware. Why they won't just release a better firmware to general availability is another Netgear mystery.
Message 4 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Dick_W wrote:
Assuming you are using the .17 firmware, it's broken. It connects "AES" as TKIP and for some reason will not run faster than 54 mbps.


yes, i'm using the V17 Smiley Sad

Dick_W wrote:
Contact Netgear support and tell them your problem and tell them you understand this is fixed in the 1.0.0.19_test4 firmware and you want that firmware. Why they won't just release a better firmware to general availability is another Netgear mystery.


I have already created a support ticket...let's see what they answer...
Message 5 of 22
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Do you have WMM enabled in the router QoS settings?
Message 6 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Mars Mug wrote:
Do you have WMM enabled in the router QoS settings?


No, because i have tried to enable but i cant!!
Seems there is bug on the webinterface..see here
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=76664
Message 7 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Netgear support answer to my ticket suggesting me to change the name of the SSID.
From the tests i have done, the problem is on the char "-".
If i remove it from the SSID name, i can connect at full 300mbsSmiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 22
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Interesting.

Per one source, hyphens should not be a problem. I can't find anything to suggest 802.11n changed this.

Not saying this isn't the source of your problem--if you are connecting with .17 firmware and AES encryption (that the client agrees is AES not TKIP) at >54 Mbps that was more than I could make work and more power to you.
Message 9 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Dick_W wrote:
Interesting.

Per one source, hyphens should not be a problem. I can't find anything to suggest 802.11n changed this.

Not saying this isn't the source of your problem--if you are connecting with .17 firmware and AES encryption (that the client agrees is AES not TKIP) at >54 Mbps that was more than I could make work and more power to you.


yep, still using V17.
It could be a bug on the firmware or on the drivers of the wireless card! dont' know know exactly.
On my router, removing the hyphen solved the problem.

The encryption was not a problem for me. I have tried both "WPA2-PSK (AES)" and "WPA-PSK (TKIP) + WPA2-PSK (AES)". With both encryption type work for me.
:rolleyes:
Message 10 of 22
Dick_W
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

When you had the router set for "WPA2-PSK (AES)", was the client able to use AES or did it have to use TKIP?
Message 11 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Dick_W wrote:
When you had the router set for "WPA2-PSK (AES)", was the client able to use AES or did it have to use TKIP?


I dont knowSmiley Tongue it just worked and i did not check whether the client was using AES or TKIP Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 22
Scubbie
Apprentice

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

albgen wrote:
Netgear support answer to my ticket suggesting me to change the name of the SSID.
From the tests i have done, the problem is on the char "-"...


That is indeed a strange one.

Looking around where I live most routers tend to stick with alphanumeric characters. Some have spaces, but notably the BT HomeHub and some TalkTalk routers use the '-' in their SSIDs.

The speeds which I can see range from 65mbps to 144mbps.

I don't know about the compliance issues though.
Message 13 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Scubbie,
maybe it's a bug on the firmware and netgear already know this.
When the new firmware will be released i'll try to use hyphens on the SSID name Smiley Happy
Message 14 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Just do what you know you have yo and report the issue. Problem shouldn't affect v12 , so try that first.It easy enough to use scubbie tool or vistumber to see that iys not listed as ccmp as it should be and not tkip. CCMP is apparently the way wpa 2 is read by wireless scanner.

You'lk eventually be on beta 4 and then play the waiting game if it is the security bug.

Tbc...
Message 15 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Any luck as of yet. I just got a call reminding me they're still working on my case but it would be nice to know if your wireless went down after they gave you beta 4.
Message 16 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

theTechman05 wrote:
Any luck as of yet. I just got a call reminding me they're still working on my case but it would be nice to know if your wireless went down after they gave you beta 4.


i have not even tried the new firmware. They gave the link where to download it but since the problems i have reported are solved i have no reason to try it.
So, still using the official V17
Message 17 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

So your getting more than 54mbs on v17? , which was the primary post I think. As far as I know the 54mbs problem is cause by v17 having problem with securities.

Depending probably on how far away from your wireless you are beta 4 should fix those problems. You can always try it and tell them it didn't work and go back to v17.
Message 18 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

theTechman05 wrote:
So your getting more than 54mbs on v17? , which was the primary post I think. As far as I know the 54mbs problem is cause by v17 having problem with securities.


Exactly! I'm getting more than 54mbs using the V17 firmware.
I have to say that i get full 300mbs only if i'm 2 meters far away from the router.
Now, i'm 7 meters with a thin wall between the router and my computer, and i get 135mbs.

Here i have worte how i have solved.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.php?p=406303&postcount=8

ps:I have also updated the driver of the wireless card which is a 5100AGN from intel

theTechman05 wrote:
Depending probably on how far away from your wireless you are beta 4 should fix those problems. You can always try it and tell them it didn't work and go back to v17.


I can't because i have made too much configuration settings and i have to do them manually if i pass from one versione to another.
I'll wait the official release...
Message 19 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

You should be able to backup your config file. Whether it works on .19beta 4 may be a different story but for most a back up should at least allow you to go back to v17.

I went to beta 4 an other than having to remind it I was in the U.S after the reset my config backup worked(beta 4 is a WW beta file for all to beta).

If your o.k on v17, don't mess with it then. It did what they expected for me and as above said did fix the primary problem with my security. Now I just have to wait for beta 5 or beta v20 to have solutions for speed loss in v19 beta 4.
Message 20 of 22
albgen
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

theTechman05 wrote:
You should be able to backup your config file. Whether it works on .19beta 4 may be a different story but for most a back up should at least allow you to go back to v17.

I went to beta 4 an other than having to remind it I was in the U.S after the reset my config backup worked(beta 4 is a WW beta file for all to beta).

If your o.k on v17, don't mess with it then. It did what they expected for me and as above said did fix the primary problem with my security. Now I just have to wait for beta 5 or beta v20 to have solutions for speed loss in v19 beta 4.


Netgear support told me to not use a backup configuration file but instead to configure it manually!!
Yes, i'm o.k with V17 for now, so there is no reason to try the beta4...
Message 21 of 22
theTechman05
Aspirant

Re: Can't connect more than 54Mbs

Deoend in who you get my tech said to fo back up and that was backed by scubbies many stickies on the beta issue. Maybe this has changed. I would still back up anyway if you did get a beta and it turned out worse than old to go back.

Congrats on everytjing seeming to be good.

Ttfn
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5415 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements