Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

D6400 and /31 Subnet

claurie
Aspirant

D6400 and /31 Subnet

Hi, My D6400 (Firmware Version V1.0.0.94) is currently on ISP with PPPoE and Dynamic IP Addressing. I am looking to swap to a new ISP who uses /31 subnets for customer links. Can someone advise if my D6400 will or will not allow the use of the /31 Subnet? I know Billion does! I have seen some threads here where some people suggest /31 subnets are not common or are suspect - these people need to do a bit of research. IETF RFC3021 deals solely with the "valid" use of /31 subnets for Point to Point links.

Thanks 

Crevvie 

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 2

Re: D6400 and /31 Subnet

@claurie wrote:

I am looking to swap to a new ISP

It might help if you told people what the new ISP is. In that way people who don't understand the technicalities of these things can still chip in with answers if they have the same ISP.

For example, I have no idea about /31 subnets – I have never needed to look – but  I am on BT in the UK, the D6400 works there just fine.

Some ISPs also have lists of compatible modems and user groups where people can share experiences. Have you tried that route?

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

DSL Modems & Routers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7