Aspirant

Re: Device stuck in 'Bypass Login' when no bypass is set up.

I just bought this today and looks like as per the forums this issue has been on since 2016 amd netgear has still not fixed it?? I was setting up parental control for my son and this is stuck in bypass? 

What a sucky system from Netgear. Not to mention my iphone keeps dropping the connection. 

This is a waste of a product. If i don't hear back from anyone from netgear to get thgis fixed in next 24 hours i guess i will be returning this costco. 

Message 101 of 108
Star

If it were possible I'm now more angry about this than ever before. I have had an exchange running for nearly 2 years on this issue. Nothing solved. Indeed more problems found along the way. My router is replaced and no improvement. Phone calls with support with no resolution. Numerous email exchanges via the support site. I am pointed at a debug firmware a few weeks ago and asked to produce some debug logs. Frankly the firmware is not fit for anything and repeatedly crashes the router. Even blue screened my laptop somehow. I return some partial logs after trying for half a day and note how terrible the experience has been. The response is a repeat request for full logs using the debug firmware. So I'm distracted for a few about 3 weeks and only got back to this again today. I'll admit the level of disruption prompted last time did cause me to wait until I had a long period of free time. Firmware still crashes the router but for the first time I get a complete debug log. I go to the support site and find that my support ticket has been closed. The site also tells me that I'm not eligable for support and I have no way of raising a new ticketor has been  or uploading the logs. No message was sent to suggest my call will be closed. I've spend days on this issue over the last couple of years. It has created serious annoyance and inconvenience. It has not been addressed. Totally disgusted by this intolerable and unacceptable behaviour by Netgear support. If this is what I can expect my next Netgear purchase will need to be in circumstances where I have literally no option. And I'm going to start recommending to anyone that will listen that they never touch a Netgear product. Personally and at work.

Message 102 of 108

That sounds like a pretty long saga of doom and gloom. You have my sympathies. I hope you didn't get suckered into the paid support service.

Have you thought of trying to get help here?

It just might be that someone here can offer helpful insights into this mess. I can't see that you have ever started your own discussion, just joined in on older threads. 

Your latest message doesn't tell us what your hardware is. And you have chipped in on discussions for a bunch of different devices.Strangely, none of the handful of your messages that I read tells us what Netgear hardware is causing you these problems.

Maybe I missed your detailed description of what you own and what is happening. If so, where can we read the relevant messages?

So if you are willing to give the unpaid volunteers here a go, you need to start a new discussion  in the appropriate section and tell people what your hardware is and what the problems are.

A good place to start is with the information that Netgear suggests:

Subject (Include model number and brief summary)
Model (Recommended - Helps the community give the best answers)
Body (Include additional detail including model version, firmware, OS and environment where relevant.)

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 103 of 108
Star

Model - Netgear X8 Nighthawk

Issue(s) -

Devices stuck in "bypass login" state when this could not be possible because it was impossible to implement bypass login on the device e.g. a Sony TV

Unable to set per device filtering controls for Netgear Live parental conrols

Not being able to edit device type in Netgear Genie

iOS and Windows Netgear Genie reporting inconsistent lists of devices attached to network, device settings e.g. parental controls and filtering

With at least one firmware version unable to login to OpenDNS and setup Netgear Live parental controls at all

With at least one firmware version registration of Netgear Live parental controls with OpenDNS resulted in a X8 router being registered using both LAN and WAN Mac addresses

The parental controls filtering issues were first encountered using an R6300 I now use as a simple wireless access point. I only really got frustrated by them after buying the X8 when I realised that I needed workable parental controls to keep my children safe. During this saga the X8 was RMA' ed. The iOS and windows devices used to originally reproduce the issue have all been replaced and the issues are still reproducable. Multiple versions of router firmware and iOS/Windows Genie have been used. I have at least twice sent my router configuration to Netgear support. I've sent support detailed descriptions of my Network. As reported in this thread factory resetting the router seems to, temporarily, make the parental controls work again. I even confirmed that restoring a saved router configuration would cause the problems to restart. I spent time on the phone to get the detailed version of simply doing a factory reset after all of this had been confirmed. 

It seems clear to me that something is prompting corruption of the cofiguration of the router. It then starts to confuse devices and further trouble follows. Perhaps triggered by using both iOS and Windows Genie to manage the router. Certainly iOS/Windows Genie have different understanding of what device types can be set. Odd since I would have expected this to be state held in common in the router firmware. With more recent firmware this often prompts the router to crash and need power cycling. The test firmware I was pointed at fell over within minutes if I was using Genie to do anything. An attempt to use the Genie internet connection repair either does nothing or even blue screens the laptop I am using.

Message 104 of 108

@Parply wrote:

Model - Netgear X8 Nighthawk

That is not a Netgear model number. It could be the R8300, R8500 or even the D8500. Perhaps even something that I have missed.

I suggest starting a new discussion and when you do so include answers to the questions I posed earlier.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 105 of 108
Star

It is an R8500

Message 106 of 108

@Parply wrote:

It is an R8500

I repeat, start a new discussions with the requested information and details of your problems.

It is usually better to deal with one issue at a time rather than piling in with a long list of woes.

You should also post in the appropriate section of this community. You have tagged ride in this discussion in the area devoted to R6000 Series AC WiFi Routers. The R8500 is not one of those.

Talk about the R8500 happens in tthe Nighthawk WiFi Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Click the big button at the top Create a New Discussion.

Just another user.

Message 107 of 108
Star

Net result of a moderator kindly arranging to reactivate my case was that I submitted some requested logs shortly after my last post. 3 months later, in spite of prompting, I've not heard anything apart from a recommendation to use a firmware version that I had already proved did not work. Sometime soon all my children will be old enough that I feel parental controls are moot as if I've not taught them to be sensible I never will. I don't get many children visiting and asking to use our wireless internet anymore so parental controls are finally not a valuable feature. So Netgear sitting on my issues for multiple years finally gets a payoff. I can't determine whether this is the result of indifference or incompetence, or perhaps both. Whatever I now reserve the right to express extremely negative opinions about Netgear whenever their products come up in conversation. 

Message 108 of 108
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements