Help Devices using router as DNS rather than pointing to my ISP's DNS

oldmanlight
Aspirant

Help Devices using router as DNS rather than pointing to my ISP's DNS

Hello all,

I recently replaced my linksys e1200 with a netgear wndr4300, I've been happy with it except that when i look at the ip configuration for my devices i see they're pointing to the router for my DNS settings and not using any secondary dns. My previous devices have all passed the DNS server settingss from the router onto DHCP client devices but this one is only pulling the router as the primary DNS and nothing else. I'm not using any dynamic DNS services, all devices are configured to use DHCP. The router itself is pulling my ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers but i can't find a setting to allow it to disseminate those settings down to the client devices.

The reason i even care to trouble shoot it is because when using Xbox Live, i notice matchmaking takes significantly longer using the router as a DNS relay rather than manually inputting the DNS servers from my ISP from each device. Anyone know a solution for this?

Please Help.
Message 1 of 2
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Help Devices using router as DNS rather than pointing to my ISP's DNS

Netgear home end router will not do DNS proxy. It will only uses router as DNS unless you manually configure . Prosafe / Prosecure router can do DNS proxy from Netgear
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation