IPv6 support needed

jmecherila
Aspirant

IPv6 support needed

Hello,

I'm the owner of a wndr3700v1 with the latest firmware.
My ISP has full ipv6 support and they require PPPoE/v6 and DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (RFC 3769). On the test site my ipv6 does not work with all the settings I've done. Does this router support the type of DHCP requested ? Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: IPv6 support needed

contact support at my.netgear.com

if you have latest firmware you better off contact support
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
jlewter
Guide

Does your Modem support IPv6?
Message 3 of 12
jmecherila
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies.
jmizoguchi: I already did post a ticket to Netgear support.
jlewter: No modem, fiber optics Smiley Happy then a few feet of ethernet. Here is a test:
Message 4 of 12
jmecherila
Aspirant

Ipv6 works only on a non optical fiber line according to Netgear. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix that considering that ipv4 works pretty good.
Message 5 of 12
fordem
Mentor

jmecherila wrote:
Ipv6 works only on a non optical fiber line according to Netgear. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix that considering that ipv4 works pretty good.

Optical fibre/non optical fibre is what known as 'physical layer" - your WNDR is a router and has no clue what the physical layer is - all it sees is the ethernet - netgear support has just BS'ed you to get rid of you.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 6 of 12
jmecherila
Aspirant

Agree with that, issue is in the firmware with the dhcp for ipv6.
Message 7 of 12
jlewter
Guide

You still have a modem, granted it can have different names depending on the tech that is used.

My ISP has no support for IPv6, if they did I am not sure it would come through PPPoE. The 3700 does have an option under IPv6 for a PPPoE setup, when you try to set it up does the logs give any clue to if it's trying to work at all?
Message 8 of 12
jmecherila
Aspirant

I have an ONT (media convertor). PPPOE is the type of authentication requested by the ISP. There is nothing in the logs as far as ipv6 goes.
The only address that works is the WAN address of the router that has an ipv6 address.
From there on it all stops, that's why i figured it's an issue with the dhcp prefix delegation, the router doesn't know to do that.

ISP requires like i first posted PPPoE/v6 and DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation (RFC 3769).
Message 9 of 12
fordem
Mentor

jlewter wrote:
You still have a modem, granted it can have different names depending on the tech that is used.

Not necessarily - I've worked in situations where the firewall/router was connected directly to the ISP switch - no modems at all.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 10 of 12
jmecherila
Aspirant

Since we all seem to agree that it's a firmware issue (lacking ipv6 prefix delegation) is there any chance that Netgear is following these forums and maybe add the extra instructions in a future firmware update ?
Message 11 of 12
Scandy
Tutor

Yes, I agree that the 3700s are overdue for a firmware update. However, since it has been about a year since the last firmware update, and since Netgear never participates in these forums (this is a user to user forum), I would not hold my breath waiting for Netgear to release a new version.

Personally, I do not think that we will see another firmware update. I think that Netgear is too busy with their new devices and have abandoned the 3700s. (I hope I am wrong).
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E