Highlighted
Aspirant

Is there a Step by Step guide to Tshoot Drops?

I've had a R6300 in place for 25 months. Recently, we have been experiencing daily internet drops. The symptom seems to be that the wireless devices are still connected to the router, but cannot access external sites.

I'm looking for a step by step troubleshooting guide to assist me with figuring this out.

Transactionally posting information and responding doesn't see very efficient.

So, the question is - Is there a guide?

Message 1 of 9
Highlighted
Master

Re: Is there a Step by Step guide to Tshoot Drops?

The manual contains a couple of pages of troubleshooting steps. Starting at Page 107.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6300/R6300_UM_1Jun12.pdf
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks for the specific pages in the manual. I did review them, but they are very generic and not very helpful at this level.

Is there any sort of process that Netgear recommends or uses themselves to T Shoot these issues?

Log analyis?
Ping Tests?
Etc?
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
Mentor

tmartin314 wrote:

It may not be, but what are the alternatives?

Are you willing to invest the time it takes to learn the basics of ethernet networking, which, realistically speaking is just the foundation for the WiFi, and then add to that the intricacies of tcp/ip?

It's not simply a matter of perform this step, then follow it with that one - the sequence of steps will change with what we would term the "network architecture" or how the particular network has been constructed & wired (and moving one wire can change that) and will also depend on the outcome of the previous steps.

Even doing it interactively is like pulling teeth, trying to get an end user to understand what you're asking can be a nightmare, and you don't always get honest answers.

Start by learning to use the basic troubleshooting tools - ping & traceroute - use ping to verify that you can communicate with the router (just being connected is not enough), ping the router's internal interface, ping the router's external interface (which verifies that the router is in fact routing), ping the router's upstream gateway (which verifies that it can communicate with what ever is next in the chain of devices)

You want a step by step to do the above? Well, I can tell you how to do it on my network, and I've taught my clients to do it on networks I have constructed for them, but I don't know who set up your network or how it was done.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day
Teach a man to fish, feed him for life.
Message 4 of 9
Highlighted
Master

tmartin314 wrote:
Thanks for the specific pages in the manual. I did review them, but they are very generic and not very helpful at this level.

Is there any sort of process that Netgear recommends or uses themselves to T Shoot these issues?

Log analyis?
Ping Tests?
Etc?

You asked for a list. that's what was provided. Typically, NG Agent's will go through a scripted process of troubleshooting.. Did you reboot router? etc.. And, then, out of frustration, NG user's seek answer's on this forum. Which may, or may not resolve the issue in one shot. AS mentioned above, every network / environment is different. There's no magic bullet.. (not yet, anyway!)..
Message 5 of 9
Highlighted
Master

tmartin314 wrote:
I've had a R6300 in place for 25 months. Recently, we have been experiencing daily internet drops. The symptom seems to be that the wireless devices are still connected to the router, but cannot access external sites.

I'm looking for a step by step troubleshooting guide to assist me with figuring this out.

So, the question is - Is there a guide?

What you have described is this. Your wireless still works.. You have a WAN issue, between your ISP and your 6300.

Has your ISP updated firmware on their modem / router modem combo?

Have you rebooted your modem?

Are you actually having a carrier issue, with your ISP?

Have you looked on the router logs, for any possible tell tale signs?

Have you tried directly connecting into your modem with a cabled device (laptop), to see if the device drops?

Have you re-seated your RJ45 cable, or maybe replace the cable between router, and modem?

Do you have the correct MTU setting on your router?

Have you considered re-flashing the 6300?

So, as you can, the list of questions will be long..
Message 6 of 9
Highlighted
Mentor

netwrks wrote:
What you have described is this. Your wireless still works.. You have a WAN issue, between your ISP and your 6300.
Not necessarily - I have seen instances where the wireless client reports that it is connected, but it isn't, also where the client is connected, but for whatever reason has failed to get an appropriate ip address. That's why my first step is to ping the router to see if it will respond. A failed DNS server at the ISP can also produce similar symptoms - the user will be able to reach the router using routerlogin.net, but nothing else will resolve, and therefore be unreachable - pinging the router's upstream gateway would indicate whether or not the router can reach beyond it's external interface.

Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
Apprentice

Netgear has problems with DNS from time to time. Go into the router settings and for the INTERNET tab do the following

1) change the DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 hit apply and allow the router to reboot

2) press the TEST button and allow the router to reboot.

you should now have internet access
1xRBR50 1xRBS50 2xRBS40
Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Mentor

Out of curiosity more than anything else - assuming you're right & Netgear does have a problem with DNS from time to time - why would changing from the ISP's DNS servers to Google's DNS servers, fix it? Wouldn't that indicate that the problem is actually the ISP's DNS servers? Let me also throw another question out - what are the advantages and/or disadvantages of using Google's DNS servers over the ISP - discuss...

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements