Low WAN to WLAN performance?

Nicaaw
Aspirant

Low WAN to WLAN performance?

I just bought the WNDR4500 as an update to the WNDR3700 and experience high latency with ping from 30-60ms at speedtest.net and WAN speed at about 15 mbit unstable. If I connect directly to my cable modem I get much lower ping, about 5ms and stable 20mbit each time.

Im pretty much right next to the router on WLAN and it happens at both 5Ghz and 2.4GHz. Is this normal?

Ive tried all channels. Same thing.
Message 1 of 15
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Re: Low WAN to WLAN performance?

Nope - it is not normal...I just tried it and I get around 10ms. I have seen better, too.

I am not sure what could be causing it, though. Maybe someone else has an idea?

R
Message 2 of 15
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

Have you tried a wired connection to the router for comparison?
Message 3 of 15
Cybercare
Aspirant

Is a known issue.

I have been working with Netgear product eng from the date of release and they are at a loss still on the ping issue.

You can ping your router and it will show about 3ms when it should show 1ms or less.

The bandwidth issue I think has been resolved but I am not authorized to share the fw fixing that. That issue was said to be fixed with the help of broadcom themselves.

Anyway, in short they are not fighting to hard on the ping issue because they are looking at putting other features in as a higher priority. So far I am one of only a few people that noticed this on the WLAN so I suggest people open cases, call, email complain or whatever because until more people do that is a lower priority Smiley Sad

The bandwidth problem should be resolved in whatever next FW they make public. It was fixed as of WNDR4500-V1.0.0.59_1.0.13.chk which as you see is one step up from whats posted on the site.
Message 4 of 15
Nicaaw
Aspirant

Cybercare wrote:
The bandwidth problem should be resolved in whatever next FW they make public. It was fixed as of WNDR4500-V1.0.0.59_1.0.13.chk which as you see is one step up from whats posted on the site.

Hopefully Netgear will resolve the issues mentioned above shortly. It is unfortunate that Netgears most expensive and advanced router have problems like this. I have opened a ticket with Netgear who claims there are no such driver. I am sure you are right, but they usually deny such. Netgear support is a maze to navigate through in my experience. It should not be like this when you buy a router at this price range.
Message 5 of 15
mikengail
Novice

Same problem here for me. I just purchased the WNDR4500 and put it behind my Comcast modem (really a wireless SMC modem/VOIP combo device that most of my wireless access points won't pass internet traffic through at all for some reason...). My throughput connected directly to the Comcast SMC device is 25+ mbit, but it is only about 1/2 (10-15 mbit)of that when connected WAN to WLAN using the WNDR4500. Connecting to the WNDR4500 via cat 5/6 gives the correct maximum 25+ mbit. I'm going to open a ticket with Netgear and see what happens.
Message 6 of 15
mikengail
Novice

OK, just found a new firmware version 1.0.0.70 posted on Netgear's support page for the WNDR4500. NetGenie would not detect it nor download and install it, so I had to download and update manually using the router's login page (http://www.routerlogin.net). Wireless download throughput improved significantly. Not quite 100% for me, but close enough for now. Hope this helps...
Message 7 of 15
Ghettorat
Aspirant

Speedtest with WNDR4500:

Speedtest with cable straight to wall bypassing WNDR4500:

Confirming the slow upload performance on this router. I found it strange that my upload speeds dropped from around 85mb/s to around 30mb/s after i got this router (bought it as an "upgrade" from my last 2 buffalo with dd-wrt which had no issues).

So today I tested with cable straight to the wall (fibre at home) and through the router to the same speedtest server. Surprise surprise. Terrible upload speeds on this router. If a fix doesn't come or a dd-wrt compatible firmware is out in a week or two this router is going back. Having problems with remote access being blocked alot as potential dos attacks too.

This is supposed to be a performance router but it performs worse than a 50 dollar one... (yes wireless is good but that's it for now).
Message 8 of 15
Rhyalus
Apprentice

Have you contacted netgear at all to see if this was something that they knew about?

R
Message 9 of 15
Ghettorat
Aspirant

Rhyalus wrote:
Have you contacted netgear at all to see if this was something that they knew about?

R

Nope I assume they know about it since others have the same issue. At home my network is just a router, switch and fibre straight in the wall outlet so nothing complicated. Fine if this was a beta product, but as a performance retail product I don't find it acceptable. I bought it for gigabit wan (may get faster fibre soon), and it cant even handle 100mbit upload?
Message 10 of 15
StratmanX
Tutor

Ghettorat wrote:
Nope I assume ...

Do not assume anything. Open a ticket at my.netgear.com. This forum is consumer driven, not by Netgear technical support.

Just curious, have you tested your LAN throughputs, ie not used the internet for testing, such as with iperf or LAN Speed Test?
Message 11 of 15
Ghettorat
Aspirant

StratmanX wrote:
Do not assume anything. Open a ticket at my.netgear.com. This forum is consumer driven, not by Netgear technical support.

Just curious, have you tested your LAN throughputs, ie not used the internet for testing, such as with iperf or LAN Speed Test?

I compared lan speed through a gigabit cisco switch and this router and they were pretty much the same, around 700mbit.
Message 12 of 15
StratmanX
Tutor

Thanks for reporting your LAN speed results.
Message 13 of 15
SireBringo
Novice

Sorry for grave-digging, but any solutions found? Same problem here.. still looking for a solution.
Message 14 of 15
MATHEWCARROLL
Aspirant

Does anyone know where I can get this newer firmware from? I'm running firmware version 40 and my upload speed is much slower with this router when compared to attaching pc direct to modem.... Very annoying. I can connect my modem via the LAN and the speeds are ok but this is not ideal for my setup and is better when it's connected to wan...
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements