× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Multiple DDoS Attacks + Internet Freezing Every 30 Seconds

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Multiple DDoS Attacks + Internet Freezing Every 30 Seconds

I am getting anywhere from 3-10 ddos attacks per day, multiple of them coming from the same IP, and it's happening every day, and it's really annoying. I've tried installing some free VPNs and DDoS protection programs, none of which are helping. These 3-15 attacks I have to deal with each day are stored in my Netgear router logs, and here's one I had a few days ago.

[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [104.73.189.44], Wednesday, Feb 10,2016 10:53:54
[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [23.3.98.26], Wednesday, Feb 10,2016 07:45:56
[DoS attack: FIN Scan] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [104.73.189.44], Wednesday, Feb 10,2016 07:40:13
[DoS attack: STORM] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [98.188.116.2], Tuesday, Feb 09,2016 13:42:16
[DoS attack: STORM] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [98.188.116.2], Tuesday, Feb 09,2016 13:41:01
[DoS attack: STORM] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [98.188.116.2], Tuesday, Feb 09,2016 13:40:40
[DoS attack: STORM] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [98.188.116.2], Tuesday, Feb 09,2016 13:40:20
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [5.246.97.255], Monday, Feb 08,2016 15:19:02

Not only that, but whenever I'm playing CSGO or Minecraft, my internet freezes (including voices stopping in teamspeak, skype, mumble, etc), and it happens every 20-90 seconds for about 2-6 seconds, and sometimes there's a tiny 1-2 second freeze following that.
I'm not sure how many of you play competitive Minecraft and CSGO, but if you do, you know how much a ping spike or huge internet freeze can cost you your game sometimes, and this has really been pissing me off.

More info:
My internet is Time Warner Cable (live in the middle of nowhere), my router is a Netgear WNDR4500v2 which I got before all this happened. Originally when I got the router, I had no lagspikes, or at least none that was like this. Then I got another modem, and then there was some lag every few minutes or so for like 2 seconds which wasn't that big of a deal, I really only noticed it in CSGO, but a week or so ago, I got a new modem, and it was fine for a few days, until it was like 4 or so days ago I started getting the issue I described above.

Any help would be nice, I've tried factory restoring my computer, and I've made sure no games or software is updating in the background, but no luck.If needed, I can give more info on the issue, and my software/internet, etc.

This post is similar to my issue too: https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/WNDR4300v2-lag-spikes-every-20-30-seconds/m-p/...

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Multiple DDoS Attacks + Internet Freezing Every 30 Seconds

Are you running wired or wireless?

If you bypass the router, will you get the same ping spikes?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 15

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Retired_Member What's the firmware installed on your router?

Make sure as well that "Respond to ping" is not checked from the WAN Setup.

You may also want to check with your ISP if they can provide you a different IP address.

Or you may unplug the modem for something and hope that it'll give you a different Internet IP address.

Message 2 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

advanced....setup....internet setup.... select use PC MAC Address..........  reboot modem and router....... if you're lucky you'll receive a different Public IP

Message 3 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My apologies for the wait. The version is V1.0.0.60_1.0.38.

Message 4 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the confirmation.

You may have to power cycle just what was provided in order to get a new IP.

Message 5 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I did that a few weeks ago, and it didn't help, but I deleted my old skype and started off with a fresh one without so many contacts. I'm only getting one DDoS every 2-3 days which is a lot better, especially since they strike when I'm not using my PC, but that issue is done. But I'm still getting really bad ping spikes, and they're even worse than before.

Message 6 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you running wired or wireless?

If you bypass the router, will you get the same ping spikes?

Message 7 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Running wireless, and ethernet has not helped.

Message 8 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the router is out of the picture will you get the same ping spikes?

What's the brand of the modem?

Message 9 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, I do. The brand is Arris.

Message 10 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the router is not in place then you definitely have to check with your ISP.

Message 11 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have contacted TWC (my ISP) soooo many times, probably ten times, but with no luck, so I think this issue has to deal with my Arris modem, Netgear router, or some other screwup with hardware (maybe my computer, but why would it not work anymore if it worked before?) if it's not TWC. I have also contacted Netgear support through email, and my ticket got cancelled because even though the agent I talked to over the phone said I would get support for my product if I got their six month warranty, they still didn't help me, but they provided this (which didn't help at all):

"Your WNDR4500v2 warranty details are as follows:

•Purchase date:Jun 8, 2014
•Basic technical support (from purchase date): 90 days
•Hardware warranty (from purchase date):1 years

Based on the product registration, your device is no longer eligible for the 90 days free technical software support assistance from a support expert. Since the device is still within hardware warranty, you may contact our phone support 1888-NETGEAR (1888-638-4327) to perform a basic hardware check and determine if the device is still functional.

I also want to make sure you are aware there are other options available for you to utilize such as:

• Self-help web articles http://support.netgear.com/product/
• NETGEAR Forums http://forum1.netgear.com

Aside from the above free options, I highly recommend our GearHead Premium Services which will entitle you to phone support for this issue and in addition you also get unlimited support for all your other home networking devices. For more information, you may visit the GearHead website at http://gearhead.netgear.com."

So... I have no idea what to do. I guess I can get into a live chat with people at Arris, so I'm going to do that now.

Message 12 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There might be some updates was pushed on your modem.

Ask for a higher tier of support.

Message 13 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, thanks for sticking with me on trying to help, but I guess my router is the main cause of the issues. I got an ethernet cable that was long enough to extend to my computer from my modem (not my router because I tried my router before, and there were still issues), and guess what, literally no issues the whole day! Going to test out that theory today, but I'm pretty sure all is fixed with the ethernet cable.

If it isn't the router or mdoem, it's related to the wifi then, not sure what part though, but it doesn't really matter anymore.

Thanks again 🙂

Message 14 of 15
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You're welcome! Let us know if you need further assistance.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7