New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

mroek
Aspirant

Re: New Firmware Posted: WNDR3700/WNDR37AV Firmware Version 1.0.14.98

While the attached devices is now populated, it does exhibit some strange behaviour. Take a look at this:

There appears to be two Android-devices with the exact same name and IP address, but different MAC addresses. That doesn't add up, but I am guessing there is not an actual IP-conflict, rather I think it is the attached devices list that is wrong.
Message 126 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

I'm sorry to report that this firmware did not fix the DNS problem either, which makes it about just as bad as 1.0.7.98. It doesn't help that the attached devices list is populated when it is incorrect.
Message 127 of 195
SuperBill
Novice

Not sure if everyone here knows of this frequently updated OpenWRT build, but if the Netgear official firmwares totally suck for you as they do me, you might have far better luck with this. I know it works wonderfully for me.

There is a thread here discussing it.

And here is a direct link to arokh's (the guy building the nightly releases) hosted files. Check it out if you don't have any reservations about flashing third party firmware. For me personally, it's made this router what it should be. No firmware is without it's bugs so I'm sure not everything will work for everyone but even the nightly OpenWRT builds are far superior to what Netgear consistently screws up.
Message 128 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

I definately don't have any reservations about flashing 3rd party firmware, it's just that at the moment I really don't have the time to fiddle with (a lot of) manual configurations. I see that the build you refer to has the Luci web interface, but I am unable to find much information about which features you can configure from it. Can you configure most features via the web interface, or do you have to resort to shell commands/scripting to get by?

As an example, I need to have both a regular wireless network and a guest network that has only internet access. Is this supported in OpenWRT and is it configurable from the Luci web interface?
Message 129 of 195
SuperBill
Novice

Yes it is possible to setup a guest network via the web interface. To the best of my knowledge everything can be done via the web interface as that's the only way I know how to use it. I've only ever shelled into my router to reset the nvram. Definately give it a shot you can always backup your existing Netgear config and restore it should you decide you would like to flash back. Flashing back and forth is quite simple I've done it numerous times to test Netgear's progress on their own firmware.
Message 130 of 195
DodgeDeBoulet
Apprentice

I've been using OpenWRT for, let's see, 48d 22h 53m 21s as I write this; actually longer, since I did install one update and the uptime figure above is relative to the reboot after that installation (Attitude Adjustment (r26768)). So a total of 2 months or so.

The only option I couldn't get working through the GUI was the configuration of the mount point for the USB-attached external drive. I had to edit /etc/fstab so it would auto-mount (I think). I don't know whether that was an issue with the build I first installed or not, but I didn't have to reconfigure after I updated just under 49 days ago.

So far so good. Far fewer problems than I had with any version of the Netgear firmware.
I have a complex relationship with my Orbi
Message 131 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

Thanks, guys!
Looks like I'll definitely have to try OpenWRT now. As you say, reverting to stock is simple if I just save the config.
Message 132 of 195
dickie
Novice

@mroek - just saw your post in the other forum. I can confirm the openwrt build gives you a much better DNS config option , and the attached devices actually works 😉
Message 133 of 195
dslabby
Novice

Hi,

Can anyone confirm that the OpenWRT firmware will work with version 2 of this router? My firmware is stable, but still has many annoying quirks in it and Netgear does not seem to be getting aworking firmware out any time soon. Thanks
Message 134 of 195
SuperBill
Novice

Yes there is a version for v2 of this router on the ftp site I posted the link for. The files you are looking for are denoted WNDR3700v2.
Message 135 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

I am now running OpenWRT (arokh build) on my WNDR3700, and I am really impressed with it (for the most part). I am working my way through configuring it now, but I had a strange issue that bothers me. The router gets its WAN IP by DHCP from a home gateway, and this worked just fine at first. I spent a few hours configuring stuff, and got almost everything working as it should, so I left the computer to grab something to eat. When I came back, my computer had lost internet connectivity, and on further inspection it turned out that the router had no WAN connection. The WAN led was flashing, though, so there was traffic. Rebooting the router did not fix the problem, so I rebooted the home gateway too. Still no fix, so I decided to plug the home gateway directly to the computer, which worked (i.e the computer got the IP from the gateway with no issues). Plugging the cable back into the WAN port of the router, and suddenly it works again and the router got an IP.

There is no logical reason for this (it happened without me doing any config changes), and only time will tell if this build is going to drop my WAN connection randomly (or regularly). I have never seen this on the stock firmware, so I am hoping it was just a one-time incident.

Other than that, the feature set is impressive, and the web interface is quite good. The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is how to set up a guest WLAN that has access only to the internet. Adding the WLAN itself is a breeze, but to isolate it from the LAN involves both firewall rules and perhaps new interfaces as well.
Message 136 of 195
anewkirk
Aspirant

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan

That is 1 way of implementing a guest connection.
Message 137 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

I found that article, and now I have a working guest wlan too.

This firmware really rocks! Some tasks are a bit more involved/complicated, but the possibilites are endless. If it turns out to be stable on my router and in my environment, there is no chance that I will even try new stock firmwares.

I could have sworn that I saw a youtube-video demonstrating a cool feature in Luci: Clicking on a MAC-address would do a vendor search/lookup for that MAC. However, I am unable to find that video, and this feature is not there in the build I am using now. Did I dream this, or is there some add-on I can install to get that feature?
Message 138 of 195
Carnagerover
Aspirant

I have some questions relating to this if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I installed the arokh firmware on my WNDR3700 and it is working great out of the box, I wanted Ipsec VPN and this worked straight away. However I'm used to having tabs for port forwarding and dmz for example and I can't find them anywhere. I'm assuming that I have to create a rule in the firewall for ports that I want to forward?

I am looking on the wiki page but some pages show DD-WRT from a linksys interface, some show the official DD-WRT interface and none show the LUCI interface that you use with the arokh firmware.

If you install the official DD-WRT firmware do you have to set it up yourself by actually writing command lines or are the builds already setup for the router you are downloading for?

I'm not sure what the differences are between the DD_WRT arokh firmware and the official firmware and i'm not sure where I can find setup information for this?

Anyone shed any light on this for me :confused:
Message 139 of 195
Carnagerover
Aspirant

Carnagerover wrote:
I have some questions relating to this if someone wouldn't mind helping me out.

I installed the arokh firmware on my WNDR3700 and it is working great out of the box, I wanted Ipsec VPN and this worked straight away. However I'm used to having tabs for port forwarding and dmz for example and I can't find them anywhere. I'm assuming that I have to create a rule in the firewall for ports that I want to forward?

I am looking on the wiki page but some pages show DD-WRT from a linksys interface, some show the official DD-WRT interface and none show the LUCI interface that you use with the arokh firmware.

If you install the official DD-WRT firmware do you have to set it up yourself by actually writing command lines or are the builds already setup for the router you are downloading for?

I'm not sure what the differences are between the DD_WRT arokh firmware and the official firmware and i'm not sure where I can find setup information for this?

Anyone shed any light on this for me :confused:

I meant to put OpenWRT not DD-WRT I need more sleep, got confused between the two 😮
Message 140 of 195
mroek
Aspirant

Port forwarding is easy in Luci, it's just named differently. In Luci, go to the Network/Firewall tab, and look at the "Redirections" section. Below it there is an Add-button, press that and enter the necessary details.
Message 141 of 195
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

While there’s no problem providing links to third-party firmware like OpenWRT or DD-WRT, or suggesting that people use those firmwares, these Netgear forums cannot be used as a support base, and the relevant third-party forums should be a better source of support anyway. So, please avoid developing threads here with that purpose.
Message 142 of 195
KiccoLSD
Tutor

Hi man, I'm using AP option but i cannot find how to enable\disable this mode. Its menù is grayed. Another question: Time is reported as January 2000. I cannot find where to change and fix. Thx
Message 143 of 195
joekane
Aspirant

Well, one more vote for OpenWRT. I loaded the latest trunk build from arokh yesterday. No issues, straightforward, and mind-numbingly better. I can't even properly put it into words.

DNSMASQ functionality alone is worth it.
Message 144 of 195
Tank_Killer
Tutor

has anyone tried a build with the gargoyal interface?
Message 145 of 195
Simon0
Novice

The Gargoyle firmware has most if not all of OpenWRT features coupled with some enhancements to make things easy for new users. It is quite stable as it is using the newer Linux kernel. Hence, routing speed is also reduced quite a bit compared to Negear's firmware.

When is Netgear coming out with dual core routers, AT&T Uverse router-gateways & Verizon Actiontec FIOS router-gateways are now all dual core....
Message 146 of 195
SFischer1
Aspirant

Hi,

I am still sorting it out, but after installing the new firmware "N" 5 G transfer rates have gone down, I forget the old numbers but now "N" 2.4 G is > two times faster thab "N" 5 G.

New Sony VPCF1390X CTO with "N" 2.4 G only I get up to 14.7 MB/sec but my Sony VGN-FZ485U "N" 5 G gets ~ 4.8 MG/sec. (Transfering 5.7 GB Video file) (300Mbps in Windows task manager)

Using a Netgear WNDA3100v2 about the same rates, tried on two computers.

This does not make sense, the 5 G band is empty but the 2.4 G band has lots of other traffic. 😞

SHF
Message 147 of 195
Simon0
Novice

If you've reset the router and tried it with different 5GHz adapters to connect on different 5GHz channels and it is still the case, then it means the 5GHz radio on the router is defective. This is also to eliminate the possibility of a defective adapter.
Message 148 of 195
GoNz0
Aspirant

any chance this thread can be about the firmware in the title, i get fed up of emails to tell me theres a new post when its about a 3rd party firmware.
Message 149 of 195
SFischer1
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
If you've reset the router and tried it with different 5GHz adapters to connect on different 5GHz channels and it is still the case, then it means the 5GHz radio on the router is defective. This is also to eliminate the possibility of a defective adapter.

Hi,

Reset of course.

I have tried with my old laptop, a standby HTPC with the Netgear USB dongle and a second Netgear USB dongle on my new laptop computer. (I have two for three 5 G "N" clients)

I did get my new laptop up to ~ 9 MB/sec but that is a far cry from the 14.7 MB/sec with the new laptop and 2.4 G "N".

I have had to drop the 2.4 G radio down to 54 MB as my (temp) kitchen computer "RADIO" WiFi will not work with the router set faster.

I do not have any record of the 5 G "N" speeds on my old laptop, but they clearly were much faster in my memory.

I am using channel 36 now and will try other channels.

What transfer rates should I expect with 5 G "N"? (5 GB Video files)

Don't get excited until someone reports they also saw a drop in 5 G speeds, a new interfering signal may have appeared. The 2.4 G band has lots here.

SHF
Message 150 of 195
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E