Re: Problem setting up / connecting to WNDR3800 as a dumb access point

od1n22
Novice

Problem setting up / connecting to WNDR3800 as a dumb access point

Hi everyone.

After much consideration I just bought a WNDR3800 to replace my old Linksys WRT54G which I used as dumb access point.

I want the WNDR3800 to take the exact same role; being a dumb access point. Unfortunately, this has proven very difficult, and I'm at my wits end.

The problem seems to stem from the fact that the WNDR3800 has a predispostion towards a network setup where the router is connected to a modem with an 192.168.0.1 address and any additional wired devices on the network should plug into the router with it acting as DHCP server.

Unfortunately, my network does not look like that, and I can't make the WNDR3800 work with mine.

Here's my setup:

DSL modem (10.0.0.1)
|
Ethernet switch
| | | | | | |
c c c c c c WNDR3800

I have a DSL modem/router from my ISP. This has a fixed address of 10.0.0.1. There is nothing I can do to change it, so all other units will have to live within this address space. The DSL modem also acts as a DHCP server, doling out addresses in the 10.0.0.32 to 10.0.0.64 range.
Attached to the modem's ethernet port is a big external ethernet switch where I have a bunch of computers and other devices attached.

What I want to do is to attach the WNDR3800 to the switch via one of its regular ethernet ports and have it act as a dumb access point like my old setup. DHCP should be handled by my ISP-issued modem/router as it is now, so any wireless device that connects to the WNDR3800 will get an address from DHCP server in my DSL modem.

From the factory, the WNDR3800 is already set up to use the 192.168.0.1, which made it impossible to connect to in my case, since my whole network runs in the 10.0.x.x address space. So I had to connect it directly to the DSL modem, connect a PC to one of its ethernet ports and set the PC to obtain an IP address via DHCP form the WNDR3800.
Now I could finally connect via the http://routersetup.net address provided by NetGear. In the settings, I changed its IP address to 10.0.0.30 and turned its HDCP server off. Then I reconnected my network as it were and connected the WNDR3800 via one of its 4 ethernet ports to my switch.

The problem now is that while it seems that wireless devices are getting IP addresses from the DHCP server in my DSL modem just fine, I can no longer connect to the web interface on the WNDR3800. Typing in 10.0.0.30 in a browser just gives me a timeout. I have reset the router a number of times and started the whole configuring process over, but I can't figure out what I'm missing: Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

In high hopes of an answer,

- Anders Petersen / od1n22
Message 1 of 22
LSNEOD
Novice

1) Make sure you're not connecting the 3800 to your switch by plugging an ethernet cable into the 3800 WAN port.

2) Did you check (enable) the Access point setting?
Message 2 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It has to setup like this
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

Look at the concept and apply correctly with IP that you are going to use
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 22
od1n22
Novice

Thanks, LSNEOD and jmizoguchi.

LSNEOD: I have not seen an AP option anywhere in the 3800's interface. Where is it hiding?

Either way, you solved my problem by your suggestion that I had attached my LAN to the WAN port on the 3800. Actually I hadn't, BUT:
After every round of resetting the 3800 to factory defaults, turning off its DHCP server and changing its IP, I did attach the WAN port directly to my ISPs modem/router, just to see if the internet connection was working. Further reading the link from jmizoguchi led me to the problem: The configuration assistant. Every time I connected the 3800 to my DSL modem/router via the WAN port, the 3800 auto-reconfigured its own IP address, whereby I could no longer access the router via the IP I had given it, and routerlogin.net could no longer correctly redirect me to the router interface.

For some reason, the URL http://www.routerlogin.com/CA_HiddenPage.htm provided in the setup guide linked to in the post above does not work on the 3800. It just returns a blank page, so I can't turn off the feature from there. But I'm figuring as long as I don't inadvertently connect anything to the WAN from now on, I should be fine.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Omitt hidde_page URL

You can still setup manually
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 22
od1n22
Novice

jmizoguchi wrote:
Omitt hidde_page URL

You can still setup manually

Do you know where in the interface in can find the option to turn off the automatic configuration so I don't have to worry about it later?
Message 6 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Initially setup as router then change the setting to use as AP
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 22
od1n22
Novice

Thanks. I found the AP setting too. Very well hidden in the advanced/wireless section, where it did not occur to me to look for it. I would have expected the two operating modes (router and access point) to be displayed front and center as some of the first configuration options you were presented with as a user. But I just do interaction design and usability for a living, so what do I know? ^_^
Message 8 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

Hello,

How do you manage to make it work ? i have spent the day without success by trying all i can think about after reading this http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965 ...

On a basic point of view, if i checked access point mode, browsing the web is fine (whatever wired or wireless) but can't access the router configuration anymore.

At beginning, basic configuration, wan port plugged to my dmz, dhcp there providing it ip 176.16.2.2. Router LAN is per default 192.168.1.1, i would like it to be 176.16.2.x but no way whatever wan port is plugged or not. From here, many different tests done but no good result.

Does anyone have an idea ?
Message 9 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you do NOT use WAN ports. between two routers. LAN to LAN
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 10 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
you do NOT use WAN ports. between two routers. LAN to LAN

Goint point, that's a first answer that will help me.
So i never plug in the wan port and link one of the lan port from the start ?
Not sure i were able to access the web admin by doing so, i will re-test.

I also :
- have to disable the netgear dhcp as i have one.
- check access point as the linked computers to the netgear have to be in the same network where the netgear is plugged.

If i remember well when i did these 2 things, the net is working but not the access to the netgear web admin...
Message 11 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

follow this and all can figure it out
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 12 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

Yes, i already use your link you provided before and play with it the whole day Smiley Happy...
Message 13 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

and some things do not work, like http://www.routerlogin.com/CA_HiddenPage.htm, there is no such a page
Message 14 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

that is basic as it gets...... Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 15 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Kynao wrote:
and some things do not work, like http://www.routerlogin.com/CA_HiddenPage.htm, there is no such a page

do not need to use it...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 16 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

Yes, http://www.routerlogin.com/CA_HiddenPage.htm is basically and very easily not working Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 22
Scubbie
Apprentice

When the WNDR3800 is piggybacking another router in the way that you are wanting the 'routerlogin.net' address will not work. You will need to use the static IP Address for the router.
Message 18 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

Thanks you jmizoguchi, i gave another try and my reading and actions are more correlated today.

So, the router has now its ip on lan, dhcp is disabled, wire and wireless computers have the net as they go with my dhcp and can access the web admin... cool, there is just Netgear Genie telling than then is no internet because it report the wan port i don't use. So finally, checking access poitn were not needed.

I don't yet follow "Extra Considerations" chapter.
I don't understand :
"
Separate the two devices to the edge of their wireless ranges, or else
Use different SSIDs.
"
They talk about 2.4ghz and 5ghz ?
Message 19 of 22
Kynao
Aspirant

So all my computers on 176.16.2.x can access the netgear admin (176.16.2.3) but does the netgear has per default a security feature that avoid to connect to the web admin from another network ?

I don't found it. Any of my computers on 192.168.2.x can access all my computers in 176.16.2.x but can't access the netgear web admin.

Is it something talking to you ?
Message 20 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Kynao wrote:
Thanks you jmizoguchi, i gave another try and my reading and actions are more correlated today.

So, the router has now its ip on lan, dhcp is disabled, wire and wireless computers have the net as they go with my dhcp and can access the web admin... cool, there is just Netgear Genie telling than then is no internet because it report the wan port i don't use. So finally, checking access poitn were not needed.

I don't yet follow "Extra Considerations" chapter.
I don't understand :
"
Separate the two devices to the edge of their wireless ranges, or else
Use different SSIDs.
"
They talk about 2.4ghz and 5ghz ?

using genie to check internet is "useless" since you are NOT using WAN anymore. IGNORE it.

you can use same SSID or different.. it's your choice.

if you are not looking for roam in then you can use different SSID
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

all my computers on 176.16.2.x can access the netgear admin (176.16.2.3) but does the netgear has per default a security feature that avoid to connect to the web admin from another network ?

Not clear on from another network.

I don't found it. Any of my computers on 192.168.2.x can access all my computers in 176.16.2.x but can't access the netgear web admin.

any pc on 176.16.2x will able to access it

power on/off the router with 30sec rest and try it again .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation