Re: Repeated Login to DGN3700????

Duck05
Aspirant

Repeated Login to DGN3700????

Just replaced a 3000 with the newer 3700 due to flakey 2.4G wireless broadcasts.

Install went fine but for some reason about an hour or so afterwards I went to login to the router using any browser it keeps re-requesting to provide the user name/password after each screen change.

Any ideas why this is and what I can do to stop this??? Had not seen this on the other model...

Thanks..
(Tried a few searches but could not find a thread that had this....)
Message 1 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

And, out of the box the router shows the .12 FW and lists the .17 as the latest FW but the update process failed with a very un-explanatory error...
Message 2 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

(retry)

FW is .12 .17 would not load yesterday and have not tried again.
Message 3 of 21
adl
Novice
Novice

Duck05 wrote:
(retry)

FW is .12 .17 would not load yesterday and have not tried again.

Have you been trying to load it from a wireless connection?

Have you been trying to load it directly from the router & its Internet connection?
- I had to download it to my PC and install it from there.

If not (i.e. you're running wired), try the reset button on the bottom (press until all lights go out / one goes red -- about 30 seconds), power down, power up and see if you can load V17.
Message 4 of 21
Mars Mug
Virtuoso

What browser are you using, and have you tried a different browser?
Message 5 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

adl wrote:
Have you been trying to load it from a wireless connection?

Have you been trying to load it directly from the router & its Internet connection?
- I had to download it to my PC and install it from there.

If not (i.e. you're running wired), try the reset button on the bottom (press until all lights go out / one goes red -- about 30 seconds), power down, power up and see if you can load V17.

I saw that later where you first down load FW file to your PC and then back up to the Router. I don't recall having to do it that way on the 3300; I am not convinced the new FW will address this issue but maybe....

Mars Mug wrote:
What browser are you using, and have you tried a different browser?

Yes; ie8 from an XP system; Firefox from both XP and S7, and Safari from an iPad2 and all are behaving the same way... I have power cycled the router several times but has not yet gone to a reset.
Message 6 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Duck05 wrote:
I saw that later where you first down load FW file to your PC and then back up to the Router. I don't recall having to do it that way on the 3300; I am not convinced the new FW will address this issue but maybe....

The reason for the suggested upgrade process being so complicated is to reduce NVM issues. It may be a little overkill, but it rules out issues that might otherwise occur.

As for which firmware to use, please upgrade to at least v1.0.0.17 ASAP. V1.0.0.12 has many documented flaws, including a serious security issue.
Message 7 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Okay; I will load the newer FW (likely not until the weekend) and report back if the browser issue gets resolved.

Thanks....
Message 8 of 21
adrenalize
Tutor

My previous router a DGN3500 also had the repetitive login problem. Closing the tab and trying again usually let me in. I tried Chrome and IE9 and both wired and wireless. Never figured out what caused it!
Message 9 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Okay, been busy so finally was able to load the latest official firmware level (.17 - not the recent beta release).

Went to the support site, down loaded the file to the PC wired connected to the router/modem, unzipped the file, and performed the upload process. No hitches.

Same behavior; every screen requires one or multiple logins being requested from the device to the PC's browser. Tried IE and FF both. Even Safari on the iPad (which is worse).

Numerous power on and offs have not changed a thing.

We are seeing lately many "red lights" on the DSL link where the local network is fine but we can't get out to the internet (ATT DSL); a power cycle resolves this and things are fine until the next day. I saw some other threads describing similar drops that firmware upgrades seem to have resolved but so far that does not seem to be the case.

We replaced the 3300 due to flakey wireless performance and now have "traded" for these service drop outs.... Smiley Sad

I guess my next step is to open a formal support request with NetGear unless some of you folks have any further advice or ideas (which I appreciate greatly!!!!).
Message 10 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Opened a case that had two issues.

The repeated login/password and DSL line drops.

The suggestion for DSL line drops was to change/lower the MTU size (which was default at 1492) to a lower number which I did to a recommended 1400 (or other choices were 1358 or 1300).

Applied the change and will see how the situation on the dropped connections responds.

No explicit suggestion was provided for the multiple/repeated login/password condition which remains.
Message 11 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

The MTU change did not improve things. The "red light" condition on the ISP link occurs and it requires a power cycle to clear and get reconnected. The wreaks havoc on all DHCP connections and I end up with duplicate IPs as some devices do not always request new IPs.

NetGear support is now suggesting to contact the ISP (ATT) to run tests since the error occurs mostly in the morning suspecting "heavy use". Likely a waste of time.

The ADSL setting is at "AUTO" instead of am explicit setting so I am going to try that next.

The repeated login/password condition remains and nothing seems to resolve that. Beginning to think I need to ask for a replacement unit.
Message 12 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Getting your line checked over is not such a daft idea.

It has been proven in at least one case that line quality was a the cause, perhaps a couple more.

Ideally you should always use the Master Socket and often a filtered faceplate will help too.

For the UK, if there is any unusual noise on the line, then this is a sign of a broken line or poor connection. I would assume that this is the case where you are too. I would highly recommend that you use a corded telephone and perform a 'quiet line test' to see if there is an issue.
Message 13 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Got an email back from a higher support level and they provided .019 Test 3 FW which I loaded tonight. Will monitor for a few days to see if the condition improves.

Still no relief or change on the repeated login issue and no ideas from Netgear have even been offered on that.

The 5G band is always weaker than the 2.4 band which is not what ideal as most times the devices select band based on signal strength. Would changing the channel setting make a difference? Default is 36.
Message 14 of 21
Scubbie
Apprentice

Good news for the firmware. Smiley Happy

With regards to the WiFi signal, this is not an issue with the router, it is to do with radio signals. Essentially the 2.4GHz channels are always going to be stronger than the 5GHz channels.

The only way around this would be to increase the transmission power for the 5GHz channels. I suspect that the FCC has prevented this somewhere.

Some of the problems relating to the 5GHz frequencies relate to RADAR systems, so I would suspect that many countries have prevented them from being too strong as it would interfere with national defence, including the UK.
Message 15 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Appreciate the information.

The latest FW did not resolve the issue. The theory that this router fails to recognize a line drop and re-login seems the best explanation so far. I provided feedback to Netgear and have asked for a replacement as they have not offered any resolution or even options to address the repeated login/password issue when using the UI.

Not sure what their response or next action will be. Will keep this thread updated (although having to wait for a moderator to review each post is a bit annoying so not sure how long I will stay engaged).
Message 16 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

Some times it take a few moments to post but you have to remember there's a time difference depending on where you are in the world. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping your language clean so your post most knowingly will appear. Also I take silence as a good thing since that hopefully mean people like ryster and scubbie are doing well with their test 3 firmware.

I harassed my adsl modem set router many times trying to align my wires (I didn't my my telephone line wrapping up in electrical) and in term I kept checking in to the statistics which involved unplugging as I mounted the wire and it came back up each time.

If you get a replacement see if you can get on the list if there's a physical v2 yet.
Message 17 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Well, they kicked me back to .019 Test2 replacing the Test3 version. Only reloaded it this morning so a bit early to tell (however Monday - on the Test3 version - was horrible as my wife was not happy losing internet access most of the day) if the "red light" issue is reduced or resolved (kind of doubt it but I will give it a try).

Still no resolution on the numerous and repeated login/password entries required to do even nominal interaction with the UI. So far, no one has offered anything to try nor are they offering an RMA for a replacement.

This purchase has turned into a tech support project.....
Message 18 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Been a while and I have to report that nothing has changed or improved with the .019 Test2 that they provided. Monday night was really bad with at least 5 or six drops in less than one hour.

My reseller refused the request for a refund since it went past their 30 day window. Level 2 support finally issued an RMA for a swap (that I ended up paying the $17 fee for them to send the replacement rather than having to ship the unit and await the replacement - likely a wash in shipping charges).

However, I am not very hopeful that another unit will act any differently as to the line drops; maybe the repeated login will go away....

The wife is REALLY unhappy as she is at home having to recycle the router to get re-connected and it has not been fun.
Message 19 of 21
theTechman05
Aspirant

Duck05 wrote:
Well, they kicked me back to .019 Test2 replacing the Test3 version. Only reloaded it this morning so a bit early to tell (however Monday - on the Test3 version - was horrible as my wife was not happy losing internet access most of the day) if the "red light" issue is reduced or resolved (kind of doubt it but I will give it a try).

Still no resolution on the numerous and repeated login/password entries required to do even nominal interaction with the UI. So far, no one has offered anything to try nor are they offering an RMA for a replacement.

This purchase has turned into a tech support project.....

For the logins, did you try keeping the router off for a day or two? Did at&t have any idea on thr matter, maybe ISP pinging thing if not at least make sure your not set to respomd to pings.

Other thought is seeing if your static and they can change it. One of those should stop the request as long as your not bitTorrenting items , since that sends your IP out for others to connect to(just don't mention to ISP even if its legal downloads, since you may get bad results).
Message 20 of 21
Duck05
Aspirant

Been a while since I provided an update.

The replacement unit arrived 3/28 and was installed 3/29. FW was at .012. Decided to run with that older version and while the disconnect issue was okay over the weekend the repeated login syndrome remained.

Monday the "red light" issues started up again and a power reset was the only way to clear it. Installed the .019 Test 4 version with no improvements other than the "red light" could be resolved by just removing the RJ11 for the DSL and the router would log back in. Repeated login issue remained.

Threw in the towel after NetGear level 2 again requested logs and the config file as before. Reinstalled the 3300 and boxed up the 3700 and it is on it's way back to the distributor.

Maybe the 3700 V2 will be better..... Or another mfg. Will wait and see.
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements