Suggestion: Enable DHCP for guest SSID's only

Ryster
Aspirant

Suggestion: Enable DHCP for guest SSID's only

Hi Netgear

Please consider this feature for a future firmware update.

On my network I disable the built-in DHCP server in the router in favour of the DHCP server on my Windows Server instead. This works very well.

However I now want to setup a guest wireless SSID for friends to use when they are here and I want to isolate it from the LAN so that it can only see the internet and not my network. I can do this easily, however as my DHCP server is on the LAN, this is going to prevent clients on that SSID from obtaining an IP address.

Please add a feature to allow me to enable the router's DHCP but limit it to certain SSID's on the router so my guests can get IP addresses independant to my network's DHCP server.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 5
longwood
Aspirant

Re: Suggestion: Enable DHCP for guest SSID's only

This is an issue for myself also.

Is there a work around at all?
Message 2 of 5
BCastle
Initiate

Interestingly enough, my clients on the guest network do obtain an IP address from my Windows DHCP server on the local network but cannot access anything on the Internet because they cannot get to the Windows DNS.

My setup:
R6300 router connect to DSL modem.
Router Config:
- DHCP disabled
- Wireless network MAC Address filtering enabled and the proper MAC addrs added to the list.
- 2.4GHz & 5GHz wireless networks
- 2.4GHz Guest network with Wireless Isolation, SSID broadcast, NO guest access to local network, no wireless encryption.
- Local wired network contains Windows DC with DHCP and DNS

When I connect my smartphone to the Guest wireless network, it obtains an IP address from the Windows DHCP server on the local network. I verified the smartphone MAC address and IP with the Windows DHCP server. Just to be sure it was not an old reservation, I disconnected my smartphone from the guest network, deleted the reservation from DHCP and then reconnected the phone and it obtained the address. However the smartphone cannot surf the web because it cannot access the Windows DNS server.

It would seem to me that simple solution is allow DNS requests through to the local network just like the DHCP requests.
Message 3 of 5
sabretooth
Apprentice

Ryster wrote:
Hi Netgear

On my network I disable the built-in DHCP server in the router in favour of the DHCP server on my Windows Server instead. This works very well.

However I now want to setup a guest wireless SSID for friends to use when they are here and I want to isolate it from the LAN so that it can only see the internet and not my network. I can do this easily, however as my DHCP server is on the LAN, this is going to prevent clients on that SSID from obtaining an IP address.

Please add a feature to allow me to enable the router's DHCP but limit it to certain SSID's on the router so my guests can get IP addresses independant to my network's DHCP server.

Thanks.

Set this checkmark in the router under the Guest network.

Enable Wireless Isolation

If checked, the wireless client under this SSID can only access internet and it can’t access other wireless clients even under the same SSID, Ethernet clients or this device. Other clients can’t access the wireless client, either.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Ryster wrote:
Hi Netgear

Thanks.

here is very similar issues
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77272

seems if you use your own DHCP server instead of router as DHCP will cause the isolation issues (simple vlan function)

Not sure you can request future enhancement to fix this. Guest network which uses simple Vlan that ties with internet port so you one other options are to create different network design using all separate devices , vlan capable switch, 2x AP, wired routers
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation