Two routers

ColCGE
Aspirant

Two routers

My old router - a DG834N - became suspect operationally, so I bought a new model - N600. Unfortunately I had not realised that the N600 came with the need to plug it into a modem... so, I got around this by plugging the incoming telephone cable to the DG834 and connecting it to the N600 via an ethernet cable; a further ethernet cable FROM the N600 provides a connection to my desktop PC and a laptop connects wirlessly to the N600.

Mostly this works... and the DG834 appears to be OK after al, at least it is working as just a modeml.

But even though I have had a couple of years work from this setup, I do suffer times when I loose my internet connection, which is frustrating. Recently I read an article which suggested that when linking routers together, certain setting should be changed (eg: DHCP disabled on one router, I can't remember which) as both can be compeating instead of assisting if left at factory settings.

Bearing in mind I have switched of the wireless on the first one in the chain( ie the DG834N as I wish it to effectivly be just a modem) are there any other tweaks you guys know of which would aid a smoother running ship for this type of connection?
Regards ColCGE
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Two routers

put DG in bridge mode.
http://vpncasestudy.com/download/DG/DG834_Tips100.pdf
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 4
ColCGE
Aspirant

Well that all seemed to work like a charm!

I am much obliged to you, thank you for your prompt - and on the button - response.

Colin
Regards ColCGE
Message 3 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Your welcome ...
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]