Aspirant

WGR614v6 -slow Wi Fi speeds

For about a week now my WGR614v6 connection speed has suddenly dropped to about 2Mb/s when using Wi Fi. (I'm on a 20Mb/s service and this speed verifies as OK at speedtest.net when my Mac is directly connected to one of the Netgear ethernet ports). I've done a hard reset, reconfigured the password, etc and rebooted the router and modem but still the Wi Fi speeds are running at 10% of full speed capacity.

I would add that my provider upgraded the speed several months ago from 10Mb/s to 20Mb/s but the fault I have experienced is more recent than that.

Any ideas please?
Message 1 of 8
Apprentice

Re: WGR614v6 -slow Wi Fi speeds

I'm assuming that nothing has changed with your router since you haven't said so.

It's possible then that having to share with some neighboring Wifi network on the same channel is causing your speed to drop. You could try changing the channel to see if it makes a difference. A tool like inSSIDer (which is free) can give you a better idea of other networks in your vicinity, the channels they are on, their signal strength, etc., to make a more informed choice.

In the UK (is that where you are?) the channels on the 2.4Ghz frequency are from 1 to 13. It's advisable to use only 1, 7 or 13 since all others overlap.
Message 2 of 8
Aspirant

Yes I have changed channels, Joe, and moved the Mac within a couple of feet of the WiFi antenna to swamp out any possible effects from neighbouring transmissions. The most recent tests show the DOWNLOAD speed as 20Mb/s via the ethernet port and 1 Mb/s using WiFi. The UPLOAD speed is around 1Mb/s using ethernet and fractionally slower using Wifi. So as you can see the vast difference is mainly in DOWNLOAD speeds varying by a factor of 20:1.

I would assume from these tests that there is a hardware or electronic fault rather than a software issue and although there is a software update it does not seem to address the issues I'm experiencing. Time for a new router? Or should I try the software update first?
Message 3 of 8
Apprentice

FuzzyUK wrote:
(1) Yes I have changed channels...

(2) ....and moved the Mac within a couple of feet of the WiFi antenna to swamp out any possible effects from neighbouring transmissions.

(3) The most recent tests show the DOWNLOAD speed as 20Mb/s via the ethernet port and 1 Mb/s using WiFi. The UPLOAD speed is around 1Mb/s using ethernet and fractionally slower using Wifi. So as you can see the vast difference is mainly in DOWNLOAD speeds varying by a factor of 20:1.

(4) I would assume from these tests that there is a hardware or electronic fault rather than a software issue

(5) ...although there is a software update it does not seem to address the issues I'm experiencing.

(6) Time for a new router? Or should I try the software update first?

(1) As per said...
I'm assuming that nothing has changed with your router since you haven't said so.

(2) From a common sense POV, that is supposed to help but how do you know the actual signal strength you are receiving from your router as compared to that from neighboring radios? A tool like inSSIDer helps.

(3) One of the things that inSSIDer doesn't do is show you how much data is being moved by neighbors that are on the same channel. E.g. If you are on the same channel with a neighbor that's streaming a lot of HD video you can be affected. Remember, it's like "sharing airtime".

(4) Since Wifi is the issue, are you experiencing a lower signal strength than usual? At no point in your posts is this ever mentioned. To assume that there is a "hardware or electronic fault" means that signal strength has diminished. Is that so?

(5) Let's put it this way: If your router was functioning flawlessly for a good period of time and this is just a recent issue by comparison, where does software update come into the picture?

(6) (i) I can't say if a new router is the answer since I don't know what the issue is. What happens if you buy a new router and it's the same because the issue is external to your router? You must find out the cause of the issue first. (ii) Sure you can try it, but bear in mind what has been said above. You should also make sure you change firmware in the recommended way. There's a lot of posts all over the forums on this topic - do some searching and reading.

One factor to consider and isn't mentioned is channel bonding. That's what is used to provide the higher 802.11N speeds. What the router manufacturers don't tell you is the practicality of it. A neighbor using channel bonding could screw up Wifi for both himself and those around him. A tool like inSSIDer could reveal what networks are using channel bonding.

Looking back, I see you have a Mac. I'm sure there are similar tools for Macs - you just have to find them.

Making baseless assumptions is the best way to lead you down the wrong road. There is no secret to how to solve a problem - it's just trying to be methodical and logical.

"Google is your friend" - make use of it.

Also, you only receive "as good an answer as you provide", meaning if you don't provide relevant and pertinent information upfront then the answer you receive would be likewise.
Message 4 of 8
Virtuoso

Been V6 model you had it for a while

Assume that surrounding wireless channel is not saturated and/or has grown

It is possible that internal wireless is going bad since wired test pull good speed

I would try different power supply if that helps. But you may looking for me router .
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 8
Aspirant

Joe. No, nothing has changed on router settings whilst the fault developed.

(2) From a common sense POV, that is supposed to help but how do you know the actual signal strength you are receiving from your router as compared to that from neighboring radios? A tool like inSSIDer helps.

The closer a transmitter is to the receiver the higher the signal strength Another neighbours WiFi's chances of interfering does not then become an issue as the wanted signal from a close proximity WiFi signal is going to be in the order of several tens of dB's higher by moving a PC right next door to it. (Trust me on this one - I've been in radio telecommunication design engineering or the RF sided of things for several decades).

(3) One of the things that inSSIDer doesn't do is show you how much data is being moved by neighbors that are on the same channel. E.g. If you are on the same channel with a neighbor that's streaming a lot of HD video you can be affected. Remember, it's like "sharing airtime".

Yes, given that another signal be competing with the wanted one that would make sense. But as I've mentioned I've arranged the proximity of the Wi Fi router and the PC so there is a thumping great big signal going into it.

(4) Since Wifi is the issue, are you experiencing a lower signal strength than usual? At no point in your posts is this ever mentioned. To assume that there is a "hardware or electronic fault" means that signal strength has diminished. Is that so?

Signal strength had not changed during the time the fault developed. A low signal strength would not necessarily deteriorate a digitally encoded signal but it would not be a desirable situation to work in especially if RF reflections and fluctuations occurred due to nearby traffic or people moving about in the vicinity thus causing dropouts at the PC.

(5) Let's put it this way: If your router was functioning flawlessly for a good period of time and this is just a recent issue by comparison, where does software update come into the picture?

It doesn't, unless there is something in the software which controls or could throttle the download data speed through the Wi Fi router. I suspect not but I was wondering whether the software might have been corrupted if it were the case? However my expertise is not in software or digital techniques - just RF design.

(6) (i) I can't say if a new router is the answer since I don't know what the issue is. What happens if you buy a new router and it's the same because the issue is external to your router? You must find out the cause of the issue first. (ii) Sure you can try it, but bear in mind what has been said above. You should also make sure you change firmware in the recommended way. There's a lot of posts all over the forums on this topic - do some searching and reading.

Swapping the router for an identical working model on the same channel would be the ultimate way of establishing whether the fault is of a hardware nature or due to external interference. However, I'll be getting my hands on a charity shop Belkin tomorrow for peanuts to help me get by.

One factor to consider and isn't mentioned is channel bonding. That's what is used to provide the higher 802.11N speeds. What the router manufacturers don't tell you is the practicality of it. A neighbor using channel bonding could screw up Wifi for both himself and those around him. A tool like inSSIDer could reveal what networks are using channel bonding.

Looking back, I see you have a Mac. I'm sure there are similar tools for Macs - you just have to find them.

It's a headache trying to find tools that work with a Mac Tiger; most new Mac software works only with higher grade Mac installations. Isn't it a bugger that whatever you buy becomes obsolete within a few years, even if you don't use it !!!
---------------------

jmizoguchi "It is possible that internal wireless is going bad since wired test pull good speed".

It's one of these situations that requires a circuit diagram, loads of appropriate testgear and megabytes of time on one's hands. Frankly it's too much hastle with todays throw away technology.
Message 6 of 8
Apprentice

FuzzyUK wrote:
1. Yes, given that another signal be competing with the wanted one that would make sense. But as I've mentioned I've arranged the proximity of the Wi Fi router and the PC so there is a thumping great big signal going into it.

2. ..but I was wondering whether the software might have been corrupted if it were the case?

3. However, I'll be getting my hands on a charity shop Belkin tomorrow for peanuts to help me get by.

4. Isn't it a bugger that whatever you buy becomes obsolete within a few years, even if you don't use it !!!

1. Whether you have a stronger signal than your neighbor who is on the same channel shouldn't matter. In CSMA/CA you are sharing the airtime.

2. Sure it's possible for the firmware to become corrupted. There is no harm in re-installing the same firmware to test it. Just make sure to follow the correct procedures. There are several posts all over the forums dealing with this; just search for them.

3. Sure. Try the Belkin and see.

4. Yeah. I understand. But someone using channel bonding in your vicinity could play havoc with everyone and no one is the wiser. At least a tool that can scan for wifi would help. Incidentally, there are apps like Wifi Analyzer if you have an Android device.
Message 7 of 8
Aspirant

Well I'm out of trouble now having installed a Belkin F5D7230-4 router which I picked up for £5 ($8) this morning from a second hand shop. The download speed through the WiFi is 18Mb/s. I'm treating the old Netgear job as toast.

Yes, I must get a scanner to ensure I'm not on a busy channel. Having moved the Mac upstairs it's picking up three times as many signals as it was when working downstairs which is understandable. Thanks for all your inputs.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements