Discussion stats
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

WNDR 4300 Dropping internet connection daily!

I bought a new Netgear WNDR 4300 router from Amazon a week or so ago, and since setting it up, it has been giving me fits. It looses internet connection at lease once a day. The only way to get the internet conn. back is to power cycle the router. Then it works great until the next lockup. I've tried many suggestions that are out there, none have yielded favorable results. I am regretting not going with an Apple T/C or other maker. Can someone please help me. I've checked settings numerous times, and I am running the latest firmware version. It's connected to a an eMTA (Arris I believe) cable modem from COX Cable, which has been checked and reset.

-Gonzo

Message 1 of 32
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR 4300 Dropping internet connection daily!

Are you or other using behind the router doing very specific thing that my causing the issues?
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

No and the trouble was isolated to the router, not the modem/gateway or any specific application. Here is the final fix after working diligently with Tier 2 support:

I was having this same issue, even had Netgear RMA me a new router. When that didn't help I was all but ready to head to the nearest store and purchase something else, but got to work with Tier 2 support. They sent me a Beta firmware WNDR4300-V1.0.1.50_DB_speed_problem_v2 and so far all problems have cleared. Again this fix is still under test, but my router has been up and running for over 24 hours which never was the case before. Remember, this is a fix for those experiencing the router locking up and dropping all connections (LAN/WAN/Internet) and only a power cycle would clear the trouble, with it to return only hours later.
Message 3 of 32
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Thanks for the updates.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

New WNDR4300 user and yes, I am also having the constant internet drop problem. Have tried chat support twice (first time, had me change channel with no improvement; second time, had me change Frag and CTS settings to 2304 with no improvement). I also tried phone support, who had me restore original factory settings, then again change channel to 6 and Frag and CTS settings to 2304, then monitor for 24 hours before calling back.

Well, 24 hours later, still having drops,and download speeds are also now suffering (previously, above 50mbps downs, now, 26mbps. I work from home often so need a stable connection. And annoyed

Purchased the WNDR4300 over an ASUS 56U and starting to question my decision. Considering taking back (purchased last Saturday from Best Buy). Reading a BETA firmware may solve problem, so may call back and hope technician is aware and willing to send. Prefer to get the NetGear working as its such a step up from previous router (Cisco Linksys Valet Plus).

Questions:
1. Would folks recommend just returning with a fresh router from BB, or will it likely just have the same issues due to firmware?
2.Will the new firmware solve both the drops problems and the speed issue I am seeing now?
3. Will Phone Tech Support recognize and be able/willing to send me the new (BETA) firmware? Do I need to contact someone other than phone support to request this?
4. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance... any and all help is much appreciated!
Message 5 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Where can I get the WNDR4300-V1.0.1.50_DB_speed_problem_v2 firmware?!?

I just updated to the latest and my router has to be reset multiple times a day now. Its driving me insane!
Message 6 of 32
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Some firmware only available from Support.

Put trouble ticket via my.netgear.com
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 7 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Gave that a shot and it was worthless. They wont speak to me unless I pay them. I'm not paying for support which should be free. I just need to try that other firmware. My decision to buy Netgear is starting to make me mad and at this point I won't be buying another Netgear product.
Message 8 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

My 4300 has also been losing connection. It comes back sometimes, other times I have to power cycle the router. Been more frequent since I upgraded the firmware.
Message 9 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm having the same connection issues since upgrading the firmware to 1.0.1.60 and was wondering if anyone has tried downgrading to 1.0.1.42 as it is still available through my.netgear...
Message 10 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Check the time zone in the router settings. I had the same problem until I changed it to my correct time zone. If the time doesn't sync right with the server, it may crash the router and then you will have to restart the router.
Message 11 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

I reverted back to the previous version last night and the still dropped. I will let you know if it continues. I have ordered a new router (non-netgear).
Message 12 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Update:
Since switching back to Firmware Version 1.0.1.42 I have only had the one drop from the internet. I have in the mean time purchased the TRENDnet Wireless AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit Router with USB Share Port, TEW-818DRU. Which will arrive today.
I will before swapping routers upgrade back to the latest firmware version to see if the internet drops return. No more netgear products for me.
Message 13 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Last Update: switched back to the newer firmware and within a day the internet connection began dropping again.
Message 14 of 32
Highlighted

Hi Folks.... thought I would chime in and see if I can get some help

Just this week, my 4300 is starting to drop the 2.4G channel but not the 5G channel... I have to power cycle it for it to come back on....

Nothing has changed in my network... it is a very simple network... cable modem, to router, and all that is directly connected is a laptop, the wireless items are a Honeywell Thermostat, a Dropcam Pro, and an iPad and an iPhone... the ONLY thing that has changed (and I would not expect this to cause the issue) is I changed from a iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 last week... nothing else in the house has changed...

Thought it might have been a loss of power, but nothing in the house indicates that I have lost any power... so I am at a loss

I purchased the 4300 in May and it has the same firmware on it that it came out of the box with... everything has worked great until this week... lost the 2.4G channel 3 times now... almost once every other day...

Any ideas or suggestions? And no, I have not called and generated a ticket yet... thought I would ask you pros for opinions first... thanks!
Message 15 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

With the information that you have provided, I would suggest the following web article(s):

N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Model WNDR4300 User Manual
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNDR4300/WNDR4300_UM_23Sept2014.pdf

Please refer to page 17 of the user manual for the steps on how to access the configuration page of the router. Once done, you may change the MTU size by referring to page 39.

Troubleshooting Intermittent Wireless/Dropped Wi-Fi Connections
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23655

In response to your query, your NETGEAR WNDR4300 is a dual band router. It broadcasts both 2.4 and 5 GHz network. You may connect to either one of those networks, however, not all devices are dual band capable. In line with this, you may contact the manufacturer of your device to check for its compatibility.

Should I use the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wireless band?
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24246
Message 16 of 32
Highlighted

Thanks russii0000... I appreciate the advice... but as I said in my post:

"Just this week, my 4300 is starting to drop the 2.4G channel but not the 5G channel... I have to power cycle it for it to come back on....

Nothing has changed in my network... it is a very simple network... cable modem, to router, and all that is directly connected is a laptop, the wireless items are a Honeywell Thermostat, a Dropcam Pro, and an iPad and an iPhone... the ONLY thing that has changed (and I would not expect this to cause the issue) is I changed from a iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 last week... nothing else in the house has changed..."

It is the 2.4G channel that is dropping... the 5G continues to plug along... since 5G is limited in distance, I really need the 2.4G to work with my devices...

I've been through the user manual but could not find anything to help with the dropping of one channel.... so I am still looking for any other ideas folks might have... especially since the only thing that has changed since I installed the 4300 in May 2014 is the new iPhone 5 last week.... up until that point, everything worked flawlessly.... the FW is the same as when it came out of the box....
Message 17 of 32
Highlighted
Virtuoso

The cause of 2.4GHz interference does not have to be in your house, if a neighbour is close enough then something in their house could affect you e.g. a 2.4GHz video sender or a baby monitor.

If you have a laptop take the router to a different location, you don’t need Internet access to be able to associate with the router (though the computer might complain). If you are able to connect away from home then the cause of your issues could be local interference.

Alternatively, the 2.4GHz radio in the router could simply be failing.
Message 18 of 32
Highlighted

Hi Mars Mug... thanks for the reply... as far as I can tell, it is NOT a Wi-Fi interference issue... I have a Wi-Fi Analyzer and I should be good to go.... the issue is, is that the 2.4G channel disconnects completely... as in "off".... but the 5G is still up and running... it has played well the last couple of days, so maybe it was power related... who knows???

Anyway, it is strange to me, that I can lose the 2.4G Channel (stops completely) but the 5G still is humming along..... (side note.... not sure what good the 5G is since the range [distance] is cut so short)

I will post a reply if it drops again.... but am still curious as to what might cause the channel to drop completely... as you said... maybe the 2.4G channel is failing in the router... I will keep you posted...
Message 19 of 32
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well I certainly don’t exclude the possibility that the radio is failing, but I would point out that most WiFi analysers (except professional test equipment) do not display non-802.11 devices.
Message 20 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

For all the complaints about dropped connections in this thread, what is missing is whether you're using the 20/40 MHz mode. I've owned the WNDR 4300 for aprox. a week. I've found that the 20/40 MHz mode to be essentially nonfunctional. I am presently conversing with support to try to get it to work. However, I don't hold out hope. I'm running on channel eleven and there are 2-3 neighborhood networks running on channel one. It appears that they are crashing the 20/40 functionality. I am presently waiting on shipment of a new Centrino radio with 2.4/5 GHz functionality. The 5 GHz band may be the only way to get the full 300 Mbps throughput.
Message 21 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

My WNDR4300 is only 10 months old and started slowing down about a month ago. Speedtest on TimeWarner is 40-50mps Download and 5mps Upload. Speedtest on router is less than 5mps Download and 5mps Upload. After multiple router/modem resets and (free) support form TW indicates that the router is the problem.
It looks like to get tech support through Netgear that I will have to pay them because it is more than 90 days since the purchase. That is BS. I am going to Fry's tomorrow and buy whatever they have on sale that is not Netgear that has similar ratings.
Message 22 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

Mine started right after upgrade to 2.80. 2.4ghz.... Dropping out after a day or 2. Downgraded firmware to V2.0.2.78. Popped right back in without a reboot. Guest networks popped back in also. Been playing with it a little.... noticed that my time zone changes with the upgrade, so my time is off by 2 hours. Pretty sure that would not affect the SSID, but it would cause the speed problems that has been popping up. Something  to watch for probably. ..So SSID stable for 3 days.. looks promising. Only thing is now I'm without the SOAP API security flaw fix!

Message 23 of 32
Highlighted
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Hotboy Can you give me the speed test using the latest fw? How much download and upload speed are you getting?

Also, how do you test the speed? Are you using any software to test it?

After firmware upgrade, reset the router then reconfigure and observe your connection.

ElaineM
NETGEAR Community Team
Message 24 of 32
Highlighted
Aspirant

I upgraded from the stock firmware to 2.8 a week ago, and wireless has been dropping out everyday while I sleep. Just downgraded to 2.78. Will post back if it doesn't work.

Message 25 of 32