Re: WNDR3400 and Attached Devices

electrojim
Aspirant

WNDR3400 and Attached Devices

My WNDR3400 does not always show the assigned IP address for wireless clients that appear in the list. It also does not show a Device Name for many of the connected devices. In either case only two hyphens -- show up on the list. Is this normal?
Message 1 of 5
NoXoZ
Aspirant

electrojim wrote:
My WNDR3400 does not always show the assigned IP address for wireless clients that appear in the list. It also does not show a Device Name for many of the connected devices. In either case only two hyphens -- show up on the list. Is this normal?

When you create an address reservation, it will not be seen on the attached device or rather it is not shown. The name that you use under address reservation is simply just a name and has nothing in relation to the attached device. You will always see the "DEVICE NAME" like the PC name for example.
Message 2 of 5
electrojim
Aspirant

Thanks, NoXoZ, but I'm not sure I expressed myself properly in my initial post. What I'm referring to is the Webpage for the WNDR3400 when you click on 'Attached Devices.' A list comes up showing all the clients on the wireless network, but some don't have names (like Roku or Bob's Computer) and some don't have the IP address that the router should have assigned to them. I can see that maybe the attached device either isn't named, or the router can't cope with its name and display it, but figure that all the attached devices should have their assigned IPs shown. Again, this is the software screen for the router that I'm looking at.
Message 3 of 5
NoXoZ
Aspirant

Have you already tried using latest firmware for your router? It might help if you can try using another browser just in case.
Message 4 of 5
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Device name may not show because of ARP request and reply.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Address_Resolution_Protocol

Unless you have issues with DLNA, sharing with other devices which show "--" or "unknown" then I would worried about it.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation