Highlighted
Novice

WNDR3400v2 wifi speed issues

Hi. I have a WNDR3400v2 router with the latest firmware installed. I haven't had any issues with it since owning it, but I recently switched out my Modem and upgraded my internet speeds. Wired into the router, I get my advertised speeds just fine (around 50 mbps) But through wifi, I only seem to be getting around 20-25 mbps. (on both bands) I can't figure out what the issue is. Any suggestions?
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3400v2 wifi speed issues

If you using 20Mhz (single channel ) , less than 145Mbps wireless mode or wifi device connected at less than 145MBps with router than single channel will perform half duplex which makes half of speed
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for the response. I can't find anything in my router settings indicating channel width (20Mhz, etc). My 2.4 GHz band is set to "Up to 145 Mbps" and the 5 GHz at "Up to 300 Mbps." (Don't recall changing those ever) Additionally I have tested wifi speeds on 3 laptops and an android smartphone, all with the same results.
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

up to 145Mbps uses single channel.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

I tested my wifi speeds again and got around 25Mbps. I then changed the 2.4 Ghz band mode to "up to 300Mbps" and retested. Still got the same speeds. Same thing on the 5 Ghz band. I also tried testing with only 1 band on at a time and still got the same results. Not sure what is going wrong.
Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

what adapter you are using..
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Novice

On the laptop I am on right now, I believe it is Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN. I would have to check the other two laptops I tested on.
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Virtuoso

http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/5000/

you need use 300Mbps on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz side and connect over 150Mbps with your wifi adapter

just setting router in 300mbps doesn't mean you will connect all the time 300Mbps.

it is UP TO 300Mbps. Smiley Happy
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

About 10 people have had this issue with this router. With all do respect i dont think your familiar with this firmware. It doesnt have many options other firmware have. If you look people are having this exact issue and i have yet to find a solution. I use a wnda3100v2 adapter and just posted my same issue. nothing helps.
Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have EXACTLY the same problem. My new modem is getting almost 50mbps and the router cuts that to 23-25mbps. I've tried changing channels and played with a few other settings and all have given me even worse results than the defaults. This thread is almost a year old. Did anybody ever solve this problem?
Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

I just wanted to add that I've tried putting my laptop in the same room as the router and that consistently brings my speed up to 30Mbps. That's a 20% increase which is nice, but it's not practical for my computer to be in the same room.
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Aspirant

Cyclerider wrote:
I have EXACTLY the same problem. My new modem is getting almost 50mbps and the router cuts that to 23-25mbps. I've tried changing channels and played with a few other settings and all have given me even worse results than the defaults. This thread is almost a year old. Did anybody ever solve this problem?

Agreed. Almost same issue here. Except, I do get the 50mbs speeds just not the 105mbs speeds I am suppose to get. I have changed all the same settings with no results.

Ive been suggested to contact my ISP and ask them to verify that my modem is configured correctly and that the correct boot file is in place. I intend to try this but I don't expect much result either.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements