WNDR3700 V2 - Torrents slowing down entire network

mazsa
Aspirant

WNDR3700 V2 - Torrents slowing down entire network

Hi,

I own a WNDR3700 V2 with Gargoyle firmware. 5 computers are connected via wireless (B/G/N), none via the LAN ports, 5GHZ disabled. Signals are perfect, ping to the router is below 1ms. However: whenever any of the clints start torrent downloads, the following things happen:

1 client running 2 downloads:
- active connections go up to 700-800 (DHT, uTP disabled in uTorrent, max 25 conn per torrent, 75 globally)
- ping to the router from all clients goes up to 300-400ms, the entire wireless network slows down
- LAN ports stay fast, below 1ms, only wireless is affected
- wireless signals stay perfect

I can't figure out what could be the problem. This router should be able to handle this number of connections as far as I know (although it's strange that 1 client with 2 downloads uses 700-800 connections). Any ideas? Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
Simon0
Novice

Re: WNDR3700 V2 - Torrents slowing down entire network

Even when torrents aren't downloading they consume hundreds of connection just from scraping trackers. Dht adds even more. Like most consumer netgear routers, they are purposely crippled eventhough there is plenty of CPU and memory. You must buy their business routers when dealing with connection heavy apps. Also consider trying dd-wrt.
Message 2 of 6
mazsa
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:
Even when torrents aren't downloading they consume hundreds of connection just from scraping trackers. Dht adds even more. Like most consumer netgear routers, they are purposely crippled eventhough there is plenty of CPU and memory. You must buy their business routers when dealing with connection heavy apps. Also consider trying dd-wrt.

That's a real shame if it's true. I had no problems at all with my old Linksys WRT54G when using torrents (even with multiple clients). I'll try with factory firmware and wait a bit in case someone here has a solution. If nothing works, I'll return the router.
Message 3 of 6
mazsa
Aspirant

Simon0 wrote:

Tried DD-WRT, it works! It seems that for some reasons OpenWRT can't handle torrent connections and cripples wireless connectivity, tried every OpenWRT variations, none worked.
Thanks for the advice!
Message 4 of 6
KevTech
Tutor

Have never had an issue with stock firmware or Backfire and torrents.

I have QOS setup so torrents do not affect the network.
Message 5 of 6
Simon0
Novice

I believe dd-wrt has some code in it which will continue to allow data to pass thru it eventhough upload bandwidth is maxed. This of course consumes some cpu resources, hence another reason why stock is so much faster than dd-wrt.

The stock firmware seems to be from a very old openwrt code that has been modded by different programmers perhaps, hence may contribute to its instability. Maybe they just pay programmers much less than Cisco:p
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E